I know this is a stupid question but, I need to ask about Midnight Buffet

First let me explain that I am complete new person. I just registered with Cruise Critic today...after booking our first cruise, actually TWO cruises on Explorer of the Seas in 2007.

Can someone tell me about the midnight buffet. Beyond the fact that's held at midnight, what should I know? Is it self service? Are there chairs and tables or do you take it elsewhere to eat? What type of food is usually served? Are children welcome? Is this a nightly thing or just once during the cruise?

I hope this isn't too dumb of a topic :rolleyes:

First let me explain that I am complete new person. I just registered with Cruise Critic today...after booking our first cruise, actually TWO cruises on Explorer of the Seas in 2007.

Can someone tell me about the midnight buffet. Beyond the fact that's held at midnight, what should I know? Is it self service? Are there chairs and tables or do you take it elsewhere to eat? What type of food is usually served? Are children welcome? Is this a nightly thing or just once during the cruise?

They make a pretty big deal about it and the presentation is awesome. On the Mariner of the Seas, it was held in the main dining room. They open the room for photograpy and viewing only first. After about 45 minutes, they re-open it and then people are allowed to eat.

It's a buffet and it's self-service. You are welcome to eat there or they will give you a cover for your plate and you can take it back to your cabin. I don't recall any hot dishes... but lots of cold cuts, cheese, seafood and tons of dessert.

On our cruise, the midnight buffet was held once in the dining room plus they had an outdoor one on the pool deck another evening. Children are most welcome.

I have pictures of the buffet in my photo albums. Click on the link in my signature below. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Can someone tell me about the midnight buffet. Beyond the fact that's held at midnight, what should I know?

Midnight buffet starts about 11:30 for picture taking and stuff prior to serving

Is it self service? Yes

Are there chairs and tables or do you take it elsewhere to eat?

You take it else where.. the decks, pool or where ever.. the dining room is sometimes open for open seating as well

What type of food is usually served?

There is a wide selection of fruits and veggies with dips, sandwiches and many deserts. THe buffet dependson your ship and number of days. On MAriner thre were 2. One was the Gala buffet, very beautiful and one was on the pool deck with a roasted pig and caribbean style foods, fruit and desserts

Are children welcome?

Yes, most definately

Is this a nightly thing or just once during the cruise?

Not nightly but I have experianced it approx twice per sailing, except for on Sovereign which we were on only a three night and there was just one which was actually a chocolate buffet..

Nope not dumb at all.. enjoy and have fun... BRING THE CAMERA.. the displays are fabulous :)

Hey Dawn

I see we are pretty close to each other in NJ.

Yeah the Midnight Buffet is definitely worth seeing and make sure you take your camera, it is awesome the stuff they do with the fruits an veggies. Also great ice sculptures.

The only trouble I have ever had with the midnight buffet is that I like the late seating dinner , so by the time I get out of the dining room after I can only just look at the food and take pictures :D

Mike

Hi Dawn and welcome to CC. The midnight buffet in days gone by used to held every night, but no more. Depending on the length of the cruise there are usually one or two and they are pretty much as described in the previous posts. As far as I know, children are welcome, but you cannot actually eat the food until after midnight by the time the picture taking time is over and you have gone through the line which can be long sometimes. So it may be a little late for youngsters.

One other tip...sometimes there is a midnight CHOCOLATE BUFFET which has a lot of chocolate and should not be missed IMO. There are a few things that are not chocolate, but for chocolate lovers, this is heaven!!! Enjoy your cruises!!!

After switching to late seating who can even think about midnight buffets>>> But yes they are beautiful thing to see, the art work they create is something to behold....and it is not at midnight...it is a bit later.

Next time I will schedule our Chops night at an early time on the night of the midnight buffet so that I can actually enjoy it. With late seating, we were just too stuffed to do anything but look.

Mikie,

Great link. I am glad that I saw it after eating my fast food burritos. Time is not gong fast enough for me to get some of those fantastic pound generating meals.

Dawn,

Nomally we are to worn out for the midnight buffey but as Rala said, do not miss the CHOCOLATE BUFFET.

Ron

I may be in the minority, but as far as the food goes I was not impressed by the minight buffet (The one held in the dining room) I am not a fan of cold and uncooked food before bedtime. Don't get me wrong, I go for the great presentations, picture taking, and the desserts are more than fabulous (Chocolate covered strawberries..........MMMMMMM!).

I agree with the last poster. By the end of the week, our entire grou was too stuffed to do anything other than take pictures, which I took lots of. There is a link below.

If yu enjoy the buffets, save room for the pool side deck party that is ususally on Wednesday night. Presentation is not as "artful" as on Gala buffett, but the food is more inviting for late night snacks.

As many other have said, if you have late seating, you will still be stuffed from dinner. To maximize the buffett's go to dinner early or eat moderately at dinner (espeically, if late seating).

By the Way - WELCOME to CC, we are glad to have another member.

Agree that this is a photo-op not to be missed, but we just couldn't even manage a bite of the midnight buffet. On Vision some years ago, we went to and ate at the midnight Chocolate buffet - ooof! Mistake. Every person we saw had way bigger eyes than stomach... there was a lot of waste. But I suppose there always is on a cruise. ;)

Go and enjoy yourselves! It's amazing, edible art.

Archived