How much weight do you gain on your cruise??

BearySweet2Cruise

Now I might gain a pound or two on a 7 day but that's usually the water retention/salt intake...I now walk more and rarely eat a dessert.

BUT....

On my first cruise I gained 12 pounds in 7 days..and my second night formal didn't fit. Thank God it had a long jacket because I was squeezed into it like a sausage casing!!

Back then I thought you had to eat every meal and I went with friends who were big eaters and ate a huge dining room breakfast every day, plus lunch, dinner, snacks and EVERY night was midnight buffet.

Now I know it's perfectly fine to skip a meal or two...or three!!

I have finally, after 9 cruises, have learned how to eat, or not eat, on these floating restaurants! I eat three meals a day and maybe, maybe, an icecream cone in the pm if the sherbert is really good(like on the Summit). Also, if I take a bite of something that doesn't really taste that good, I eat no more of it. I try to eat a good breakfast, ok lunch, and only 1 entree but I add a fish to that and have a surf and turf every night. I also walk and use the stairs and walk in the early am. All that said, sounds good doesn't it....... well, I average a pound a day!!!

So this time I started early and joined LA Weightloss and am shrinking my stomach in a good way, learning to drink alot of water and will start out on this cruise about 45 pounds lighter. I am still planning on gaining the 10 but I know I will have the skills and support to take them off again when I get home!!! But I do plan on enjoying the food, if it is really good and something I normally wouldn't get at home. Can you I live to eat and not eat to live!!(grin)

Pooh

Pooh, congratulations on the 45-pound weight loss! That's quite an achievement!

We didn't buy soda cards (mainly for budget reasons) and I think that helped; otherwise it might be tempting to drink a lot since "it's already paid for."

I gain about 5 to 7 lbs. I am good all year, and when I am on vacation, I eat all the things I don't eat doing the year, and don't even exercise:rolleyes: .. I enjoy my vacation. When I get home, I lose the weight I gain in about 2 weeks

On our two previous cruises (spring 2004 and fall 2005) I have acutally lost a pound or two. Not careful with the food; I eat anything that doesn't eat me first, and have wine with dinner every night. I chalk it up to the fact that we are SO MUCH MORE active on holidays than at home - sports/adventure excursions every day, miles of walking both on board and off, lots of trips up the stairs and dancing in the evenings.

At this point I'm only 14 cruises away from my goal weight:D ...

Annette

wow. I really am a pig, at least on my first cruise (10 night new years cruise with Costa 11 years ago), it was our 2 year anniversary cruise and I put on a whopping 12#.

My brother who dropped us of and picked us up jokes that he didn't recognize me after the weight gained. Since I had a hard time taking it off, I wonder if there is any compensation available :).

Since then, I probably put on a pound a day. Not sure why, I eat alot healthier on cruises and actually excerise more. But I am definitely eater more.

My wife is the lucky one, she never gains and most times loses a few pounds!

It was nice to read that so many people do not gain weight on their cruise vacations. I do not, and will not, gain weight on my cruises either. I sample many foods but I know that I do not HAVE TO finish it off everytime.

I normally put on 5 and take them off pretty quickly. On the last cruise, I didn't gain a pound. I was quite proud of myself. :D Did the gym 4 days out of 6, and really paid attention to what I was eating. But admittedly I went all-out at dinner while sacrificing for the other meals.

Cruising is the one time weightloss comes easy for me. I usually drop about 5-10 lbs in that week. Sound crazy but it is true. My doctor has documented it and is always surprised too.

I know it is because I am walking constantly, using the stairs a lot, and eating a lot of salads. I usually have a salad for lunch along with something else. I enjoy the foods without stuffing myself and end up eating several small meals, and it helps Im not huge on the desserts. I can leave them off without any problem. I think all the drinking I do on board helps me not eat so much. I fill up on fluid and cant eat but a small amount. Also sometimes for dinner I end up with soup and an appetizer or a couple of soups only or a couple of appetizers only, so my night time eating is not much either. The only midnight buffet I partake of is when we are in Key West and is only because by then I have not eaten in about 7 hrs and start to get a little hungry.

10 lbs on a 14 day cruise is my personal best:eek: . I watch what I eat at home and diet a couple of months before cruising. Then I enjoy my cruise-eating all those things I pass up at home--especially the sweets. Also, I never go to the gym but do walk and take the steps instead of the elevator. When I get home--I just diet again until all the weight is off. About half is water gain and comes off easily within the first few days.

I refuse to worry about weight gain on a cruise, but then again I have no weight related heath problems.

Just off the June 24th sailing of the Radiance and gained only 3 pounds :D

Took the stairs and walked Deck 12. I will say that it was easier to watch what I was eating at the beginning of the cruise but by the end of the cruise not so much ;)

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing on this thread.. it has been interesting reading what other people's experiences have been. I get concerned because I love to sample all the food and at 39, I feel like my metabolism is slowing WAY down.:eek:

39??? Ha! Just wait til ya hit 50! Metabolism becomes just another dirty word!!!!:eek:

39??? Ha! Just wait til ya hit 50! Metabolism becomes just another dirty word!!!!:eek:

Debated saying something about being 39 but decided not to:D . Now I *have* to. Drat and durn. Just wait till 60!!!:eek: (What's metabolism???):D:)

Fran in Toronto

I believe that.... as I am ALREADY falling apart at the seams.. literally :eek:

OH biy what I have to look forward too :eek::eek:

My mother-in-law says when you hit 50 you begin to realise you don't have the stamina you once did, and when you hit 60 your body starts to fall apart. It's true.:D

Fran in Toronto

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, doesn't it take like and extra 3500 calories (besides what you need to live on) to gain a pound? That's a lot of food :eek:

:( unfortunately that rule of thumb doesn't work for everyone.....I gained 12 lbs on our 11 night cruise and lost 5 with in a few days due to having fluid issues.....but I can gain weight fast just eating 2500 calories a day on a cruise and walking 10 miles a day..I have to go to 1000 cal a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week...I am on some med's that make gaining easy and losing horrible.....

I am 57, almost 58 and I feel pretty good. But I eat a low carb life, veggies, fruits, adequate protein ( most people do not come close to this and this is why their muscles deteriorate), nothing with transfat or artifical or sugar or white flour.

If you go below 1000 calories your body goes into starvation mode and it actually slows your metablosim so you may eat less, but you also burn less. And it cannibalizes muscles.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I have only gained weight on 1 cruise (which wasn't even my inaugural cruise). The gain was 7 pounds, but was pre-empted by a visit to my home state of Florida. That was a bad idea. I ate and ate tons of Cuban food. On the other cruises I have remained the same or dropped a few pounds. Weight gain is kept at bay by taking exercise classes, walking, eating smaller portions, eliminating sugary beverages and breads, and enjoying dessert. When I had surgery on both feet 8 weeks prior to cruising, I cut my portions even smaller, did not exercise nor walk, but removed all complex carbs from my diet excluding dessert.

• 4 weeks later...

last year on my 7 day cruise, we took the stairs ALOT (and I mean alot), we walked EVERYWHERE, we were participating in the most active of excursions, danced all night everynight, but we PIGGED OUT because we were on our well deserved vacation! LOL...and we drank like fish! Drinks and beer are very high in calories so I think my girlfriend gained 6 lbs I gained 7-8.

This year on the Conquest and Valor? We will do the same thing! LOL

We can always watch what we eat when we get back home and if need be...start the points system thru Weight WAtchers. Many of our coworkers use this and it's the best.

SO ENJOY YOUR VACATION! It's just food, and you never get to eat like this at home! Bon appetit! :)

Archived