How much weight do you gain on your cruise??

BearySweet2Cruise

• 3 weeks later...
Our first 5 cruises, I was lucky and didn't gain anything...due to constantly being on the go. The last 3 cruises have been since foot and ankle surgery, and I can't keep up the same pace, so noticed I would come home with at least 2#, but it was all worth it. I promise to eat more salad at lunch, but then those cold soups at dinner pack on the pounds as well as dessert most nights. Hmmmmm, can't wait till next summer and Bermuda!

Hi! I just returned from Bermuda on the NCL Majesty almost 3 lbs lighter. Thanks to the Cooking Light choices, all of which were what I'd order anyway and absolutely NOT deprivation. Drink waterwaterwater at meals and in between instead of soda. Wouldn't you rather chew and taste your calories? I would. All that exercise getting around the ship and to and from bus stops on the islands helps, too. Good luck, but remember, it's your vacation! Indulge once or twice, maybe even on something that's not food!

Boy do I feel like a pig! I gained 15 pounds on a 7 night cruise once - and I've still got them now nearly four years later (plus a few extra friends).:eek:

But it's my own fault - I threw caution to the wind and was never seen without a beverage of some sort. We ate at least 4 meals a day. I don't regret it a bit :D

I am, however, trying really hard to lose weight before we go on our next cruise. I'm down 13 pounds so far, and it's been 3 weeks. I have 6 months and two weeks until the cruise, so at a rate of 2 pounds a week I should be down 52 pounds. I might try to restrain myself some - or I might just go back on my diet when I get home and enjoy every bite while I'm gone.

Usually 5 - 7 pounds. And we always use the stairs and walk A LOT. I just love food and love to eat, so when we cruise, I treat myself. Of course I don't eat non stop at home that way, but I feel I deserve it on a vacation! I'll usually drop it fairly quickly once home just by returning to my normal habits.

My last cruise it was 5 lbs, although I prepared for it. Before going, for 2-3 weeks I drank slim fast and lost about 5 lbs, so I came out even. Everywhere I went on board, you could see me with some foo-foo drink, which I am sure is where the lbs came from :p

However, this time I have to be really good, as I am planing on getting weight loss surgery a couple weeks after the cruise. I don't want to end up going on a binge and gaining 5-10 lbs right before the surgery, what would my doctor think then! :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I am from a family of gainers. LOL Her goes from our last 8 day cruise.

Mom- 6 pounds

Dad- 14 pounds

Sister- 7 pounds

Husband- 6 pounds

Me- 7 pounds

The others on our cruise I did nor ask them their totals. LOL I think we gained enough just by ourselves. I am nervous about our upcoming cruise because it is 11 days long and we are going in 1 day early. What will the totals be then? I do save my big pants for last few days. LOL;)

In April 2005 on 12 Hawaii cruise I gained 10 lbs. Oh My.

This year on a 12 day Europe cruise I only gained 3. Yeah.

The difference was in Europe we walked everywhere. Miles and miles. We also went to the gym everyday even it if was just for 20 minutes.

Skipped bread/butter at lunch and dinner and only ate dessert at dinner. We definitely ate a lot and didn't feel deprived. Am pleased to know those little things really helped.

I don't gain weight on vacation. I stick to a healthy diet. Much to my embarrasment, I rarely exercise at home. On a vacation, I like to walk around on the beach or just stroll through shops. On a cruise, taking stairs can be faster than waiting for an elevator. I am a slug! :( Any bit of exercise balances the drink of the day consumption.

• 2 weeks later...

I just gained 8 pounds on our Destiny cruise. I think it had something to do with eating 2 appatizers, 2 entrees, and 2-3 Desserts every night plus breakfast, lunch and pizza at 5 to tide me over until dinner. I 'm not sure that was the reason but it is a good guess. Of course it could have been water retention.

3 pounds on the Splendour of the Seas in 2005.

10 pounds on the Majesty in July. They just came off along with some others.

???? pounds on Statendam for next July.

I'm impressed by all of you that eat sensibly on your cruises. Even with good intentions, once that menu is in my hands, I can't resist. I live on fruit and cereal for breakfast at home. Eggs Benedict ~~mmmmm~~ is three times in a week too much? Dinner - I always have a salad. It goes well with an appetizer, soup, entree and dessert. It's there, it's paid for and there are just too many unique things to try. I did go a bit crazy on the Majesty because we stayed docked in Bermuda for three days. Easy on and off for lunch and back in time for a light snack.

I'm already searching out Statendam menus to start my dream meal.:rolleyes:

Can't say I've weighed myself but I think that I probably stayed the same. We stayed last time 5 levels below the dining room and every time we wanted to use the elevator by the time it came, it was too crowded, so hubby said, ok let's walk. When we were in Bermuda we walked a whole lot and in St. George's we did the walk up the hill and down to go to Tobacco Bay. We walked the town to go to the stores and we walked to the pay phone, etc. So I doubt I would have gained much.

I gain weight easily so I try to "behave" for breakfast and lunch, alwasy use the stairs, and try to walk laps some each day, then eat what I want to for dinner. I still gain a few pounds on vacation. I have an 11 night cruise in a few days. We have several active excursions planned (kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, etc.) I wonder how I'll do.... I'm not sure I want to know!

• 3 weeks later...

I generally don't gain anything. When there's so much food around all the time, I usually just want one or two bites of everything just to try it and then I don't end up eating a lot of anything. Moderation is key--when you're full, stop eating. And eat slowly. Food is to be savored, not shoveled.

We also take very active shore excursions and don't take the elevators unless we're going at least 3 or more flights of stairs.

I'll admit it.... I go all out. I usually gain about 5 pounds on a 7 dayer. They have always come off relatively easily upon getting back home. HOWEVER, this last cruise I was 23 weeks pregnant and gained 10 POUNDS!!!!! It DIDN't come off either...........LOL! Well at least not yet, i am due Sept 8 :)

Jen

I gained four on my 7day Mexican riviera. Al thou I did exercise an hour a day and used the stairs instead the elevator. It took me three weeks to loose them:D it was worth it!

My DH gained 9 lbs on our last 7 day cruise! He basically eats from the time we get on until we get home. He has to strategically pick out his outfits, leaving the loosest clothes for the last couple days since he won't fit into his "skinny clothes" at the end. He usually has no problem losing it when we get home though and he has fun doing it.

I generally don't gain anything. When there's so much food around all the time, I usually just want one or two bites of everything just to try it and then I don't end up eating a lot of anything. Moderation is key--when you're full, stop eating. And eat slowly. Food is to be savored, not shoveled.

Well said.

Sure I have a few more desserts and drink some more alcohol on a cruise than I do at home in a normal week, but I don't stuff myself. And it makes me lose my appetite if I see others doing so. Ugh!

I don't think I've ever gained weight on a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was surprised to learn that I LOST 12 pounds on my last cruise.

Just goes to show you that if you eat regular, good meals and get a lot of exercise walking a person can lose weight.

At home I am not too active and eat too much junk.

Archived