How much weight do you gain on your cruise??

BearySweet2Cruise

• 3 weeks later...

The first cruise I had just lost 45 lbs and I said I was going to be good, but that didn't work. I ate everything in sight. I did take the stairs alot and I loved walking early every morning on the jogging track. I ended up gaining about 3 lbs. I took that off easily within about 10 days when I got home by just getting back to eating lighter. The plan this time is to do the same. I love food too much to not eat well on my vacation, it is so much of the experience. I will diet when I get home.

I gained 4lbs in the week. I had lost that in the lead up to the cruise so was back to my normal weight, I'm going to try and lose those 4lbs again soon!

I did not eat everything in sight and was relatively good. Choosing salads or just soup for lunch and just one of each course for the evening. I ate more at breakfast definitely as I love cooked breakfast and just have oatmeal at home.

I think the shared bottle of wine every night, the key lime martinis and chocolotinis gave me my 4lbs!

I didn't go near any icecream or fries!

• 2 weeks later...

1st cruise - 12 day partial transit of Panama Canal on Galaxy - gained 7 pounds! (those darned almond croissants in Cova Cafe!!)

2nd cruise - 7 day western carib. on Grand Princess - gained 3 pounds.

3rd cruise - 7 day western carib. on Conquest - gained nothing.

My moral of the story was that the novelty of food everywhere subsided on each cruise (I also figured out how to control the seasickness) and only chose desserts that I really, really wanted. I didn't get dessert, just to get something. I always took the stairs and did lots of sightseeing on board the ship, as well as in port. I still try new foods, but I don't feel as if I have to clean my plate.

i gained 2 lbs that instantly disappeared on my first cruise. and i ate like a pig most of the time. it helped that the smell of seafood makes me ill, so i was never hungry during the main courses at dinner. i intend to go to the next cruise a few pounds lighter than my normal weight so i can deliberately put a few on!

Wow- I am amazed at how little everyone gains. I always gain nearly 1 pound for each day of cruising, and I am one of the very active people who uses the gym, always takes the stairs and walks everywhere. Although, I have been known to order two desserts. :)

• 1 month later...

I am one of the fortunate few that actually LOSES weight while on a cruise. I work out daily while at home...but for some reason..I lose about 2-4 pounds while on a 7 day cruise.

Here's what my husband and I do (he loses too):

1. Always take the stairs. We have yet to be in an elevator on a cruise ship. Even if that means taking the stairs from deck 2 all the way to 15 ! (and we HAVE).
  2. We eat a light breakfast, light lunch and only splurge at dinner. No snacks in between meals either.
  3. When we're on an island...we walk. Like at St.Thomas, instead of paying the $4 cab ride to get from the dock to Charlotte Amalie...we walked the 6 plus miles there..walked around, and THEN walked back to the ship.

Just what I was afraid of the weight gain. I love food & love to eat so I guess I will have to put more effort into the gym when I back :rolleyes: . BTW I was told that if you get motion sick ginger pills work great & heres an added bonus, there only side effect it is a mild laxative, I guess that will come in handy with all the food intake;) .

Happy Cruzin!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Last cruise I gained nothing but I weighed a good 50 pounds more at the time. I ate what I wanted at the meals and had one drink a day. I also worked out in the gym once or twice. This time I'll eat what I want, work out, and I'm abstaining from alcohol (it just makes me sleepy anyway). I think I'll gain this time as I weigh less and I've been dieting, but I'll take it off as soon as I get home. I'm very motivated. I've lost about 10 pounds since Mardi Gras in anticipation of this cruise. I wish it were 10 pounds more though.

Archived