Arriving at 3:15 in Fort Lauderdale...possible to make ship sailing at 5?

tripman

I didn't think there'd be so much interest, but I guess I'll tell what happened when I get back, but the cruise leaves on 7/15, so I won't be able to until I get back on 7/22.

You better believe you'll come back and report what happened when you return. You don't leave everyone hanging like that! That would be like dinner without dessert! Must we enroll you in message board 101? :D

Besides, it's summer, so everything on TV is reruns. We need fresh action here!

Now if we could just get your friends or relatives to be as interested in catching their cruise as the rest of us are interested in their ultimate plight!!

If there is any way they can switch to an earlier flight, maybe fly standby for the red-eye flight or the day before, I would strongly encourage them to do that, or else they are really setting themselves up for disappointment.

I said earlier that they were originally ON the red eye, but didn't want to be up all night, and didn't want to take the day off of work the day before, so the only choice (in their mind) was to leave on the first flight in the morning (which by the way, is only 4 hours later). But in reality, we all know those were their only two choices, because what they are doing isn't a choice.

So, instead of leaving at 2am, they are leaving at 5:50am...they will miss the ship to save 4 hours of sleep...

The closest airport on Eleuthera to Bannerman town is at Rock Sound. It is served by Twin Air from Fort Lauderdale, as well as a couple of charter companies. VERY expensive.. close to 200 pp to get there one way. Twin Air does not fly often., or necessarily regularly,.. and they have HUGE extra freight costs as they are also a major importer of cargo to South Eleuthera, so cannot take lots of tourist stuff on their 7 seater planes. Every single thing you are carrying is counted in your freight allottement... right down to your purse and book to read. Then hire cab to get to Bannerman, if you can find one. Continental flies into Govenors Harbour , but it is far longer trip to Bannerman. All this for a days pay which will be gone in a wink if these extra costs start occurring for a whole family. Duh??

I said earlier that they were originally ON the red eye, but didn't want to be up all night, and didn't want to take the day off of work the day before, so the only choice (in their mind) was to leave on the first flight in the morning (which by the way, is only 4 hours later). But in reality, we all know those were their only two choices, because what they are doing isn't a choice.

So, instead of leaving at 2am, they are leaving at 5:50am...they will miss the ship to save 4 hours of sleep...

As Forrest Gump said....Stupid is as stupid does.....:)

The delicious irony is that, if any of this advice has got back to them, they won't get 4 hours' extra sleep anyway. They'll be awake all night, worrying whether they'll get to the airport in time for the 0550 flight, and worrying about whether something will happen along the way that makes them miss the ship.

Please let us know if they made it. I have my doubts, we're into the rainy season now in SoFla. Your almost guaranteed to encounter thunderstorms every afternoon between 2pm and 6pm. ;)

Is their flight from the West Coast nonstop to FLL? Or do they have to make an en route connection somewhere?

The wonderful airline hub-and-spoke system has them making a connection ALL the way north in Minneapolis (obviously they are flying Northwest).

After reading some of the advice, I have to ask, do you really want the responsibility of taking someone else's luggage? (If you are flying in, do you know what they packed and are you willing to carry their luggage on YOUR vacation?) Since these people do not appear to be responsible enough to get themselves to the port in time, why would anyone want to be hampered with their luggage. It would appear they could not care less about the passengers that arrive at the dock at an appropriate time for the ship to leave on schedule, so go forth and enjoy your vacation. They have made the decision to stay in Ft Lauderdale or arrive at the dock as they watch the ship sail away with "on time" happy cruisers.

Not only that.. to me it is completely rude to inconvience someone else just so you can have things the way that you want them. And they have a connection in MN?

Wow.... tripman!! Did you refer them to this thread?

First, I'd like to say that this is the greatest board I've been on and our first post. Hope to meet some of you great people someday.

Tripman,

Your friends really need this board. My wife and I are so charged up about making our first cruise and we figured out on our own that things go wrong between connections. Our plan is to get there a day early.

I wouldn't worry about the other couple and ruin my own vacation. It is sad that they will not listen to you.

Your friends really need this board. My wife and I are so charged up about making our first cruise and we figured out on our own that things go wrong between connections. Our plan is to get there a day early.

That is what is so frustrating for me. On our first cruise, we knew nothing, nothing at all. I had not been to a discussion board, I had no idea how big of a community there was, I knew nothing, I just took the advice of a few people and choose whichever ship was reccommended. And even admitting knowing nothing, I STILL knew that it was crazy to not arrive a day early, let alone arrive at 3:15 the day of...

This is not me, so please don't tell me that I should come earlier in the morning or even a day earlier, it is someone traveling in my group who refuses to listen to reason. We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next saturday. The ship leaves at 5 (probably all aboard at 4:30). A family is arriving at Fort Lauderdale at 3:15, is it possible to make it? I know the port is very close, but after getting off the plane, walking to get the luggage, waiting for the luggage, getting to the transportation, etc, will they make it?

The ARE flying with cruiseline air, but Princess told them that they do not guarantee they will make it because they chose to switch to a later time.

So, can they make it?

3:15 - Plane lands

3:25 - getting off plane

3:35 - arriving at luggage pickup

4:00 - walking out of airport with luggage with a little luck since claiming baggage is slow at all airports.

4:15 - hailing a taxi

4:30 - arriving at pier

If everything goes perfect (most of the time it won't) they have a 50/50 chance of making it.

They do need to be at the pier before 4:30 or they close the doors and you can't sail. Now if the plane is delayed (happens a lot in south Florida due to daily afternoon thunderstorms) the odds go down to about a 5% chance of them making the flight. The times are estimates but the bottom line is they need to pick an earlier flight or they won't make the cruise.

Have these people heard of wiggle room??? Sounds to me they don't really want to be on this cruise.

My blood pressure is up just reading these posts. I hope tripman, they don't spoil your holiday.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keep smilin',

:) :) :)

Sounds to me they don't really want to be on this cruise.

In all honesty, you may be correct. There is alot of backstory to this vacation, lots of disagreement as to where, when, which ship, etc. The bottom line is that not everyone agreed, and you can guess who may not have. Ultimately, it is completely up to one person, because well, that one person is paying for everyone (grandma is taking everyone for her birthday), so no one has any right at all to complain, I sure am not. I am beyond grateful for this.

I am so sorry to hear that. How selfish!!! They could have embarked early & had a nap.

That's so generous of grandma to provide the family the opportunity to be TOGETHER & celebrate her Bday. I truly hope things work out.

Have a wonderful Bday grandma. We celebrated my Mom's 80th Bday on the NCL Sun this past Feb. We are so grateful to have had that time together.

Keep smilin',

:) :) :)

Now if the plane is delayed (happens a lot in south Florida due to daily afternoon thunderstorms) the odds go down to about a 5% chance of them making the flight. The times are estimates but the bottom line is they need to pick an earlier flight or they won't make the cruise.

We have flown into FFL 4 times.......twice with major delays due to weather.

The first delay......we flew south for an extra hour toward Key West because of a thunderstorm over FFL........Pilot said look to the East and see the storm that will delay our landing for an hour.

Second time.....we arrived and then waited three hours before the crews could unload the luggage due to lightning on the runway.

Every time we flew the day before and had no problem making the ship......:)

The wonderful airline hub-and-spoke system has them making a connection ALL the way north in Minneapolis (obviously they are flying Northwest).

That does it. When you add in the connection in Minneapolis (and the knowledge that they are traveling on Northworst), they won't make the ship.

I'm sorry, but the additional information that Grandma is paying for the trip and they still refuse to take an extra day off tells me that this is a passive/aggressive individual who wants to have something to complain about when he misses the boat. A pox on him, or at least norovirus.

I'm sorry, but the additional information that Grandma is paying for the trip and they still refuse to take an extra day off tells me that this is a passive/aggressive individual who wants to have something to complain about when he misses the boat. A pox on him, or at least norovirus.

I, of course, don't wish anything bad on anyone, I truly hope that they make it and everyone is happy. But I feel awful for my grandma, the day you leave on your cruise is supposed to be an exciting day, and for her, she'll spend the whole time worrying because of this, and she is the one paying for all of this.

I think that grandma is paying for everyone is what really adds fuel to the fire and gets people upset. She is doing a really generous thing - and everyone has their own agenda. I hope your grandma has a great b-day - are you doing anything special for her on the ship (flowers, cake or anything?)

I think that grandma is paying for everyone is what really adds fuel to the fire and gets people upset. She is doing a really generous thing - and everyone has their own agenda. I hope your grandma has a great b-day - are you doing anything special for her on the ship (flowers, cake or anything?)

What a great idea! If each cabin of cruisers ordered a gift to be in her room when she arrived that would have to make her feel very appreciated. (Just make sure you coordinate things so no two people order the same thing!)

tripman - Cruisingoose & I are on the same Freedom cruise this Nov. We have been following this thread. I also want to wish your Grandma a very Happy Birthday. Hope everything works out ok, & she has a wonderful time. We get on the Caribbean Princess tomorrow. You will be getting on after we get off a week from tomorrow. I know we all will enjoy the cruise!

Gail

Anyone remember the commercial with OJ Simpson running through the airport jumping over seats and pushing people out of the way? (I think it was for a car rental) That's what I thought of when I read this thread. And that's if everything goes smoothly.

Archived