Arriving at 3:15 in Fort Lauderdale...possible to make ship sailing at 5?

tripman

In all honesty, you may be correct. There is alot of backstory to this vacation, lots of disagreement as to where, when, which ship, etc. The bottom line is that not everyone agreed, and you can guess who may not have. Ultimately, it is completely up to one person, because well, that one person is paying for everyone (grandma is taking everyone for her birthday), so no one has any right at all to complain, I sure am not. I am beyond grateful for this.

Finally, we've become privey to a tidbit of information that just might possibly explain this entire situation.

Perhaps these people aren't that stupid when it comes to travel arrangements. If they were traveling on the ship they wanted to sail, they'd get their butts on that redeye no questions asked.

I see it all as a big conspiracy on their part ... alter their flight arrangements to the degree it puts them in serious danger of missing the ship.

What's to say they arrive FLL on time at 3:15pm, but wait until 5:15pm to call relatives aboard the ship and tell them a different story... ???? ;)

I'll bet they've booked rooms at Disney World for the week while the rest of you are all cruising! And have a rental car reserved at FLL to drive to Orlando!!!

Finally, we've become privey to a tidbit of information that just might possibly explain this entire situation.

Perhaps these people aren't that stupid when it comes to travel arrangements. If they were traveling on the ship they wanted to sail, they'd get their butts on that redeye no questions asked.

I see it all as a big conspiracy on their part ... alter their flight arrangements to the degree it puts them in serious danger of missing the ship.

What's to say they arrive FLL on time at 3:15pm, but wait until 5:15pm to call relatives aboard the ship and tell them a different story... ???? ;)

I'll bet they've booked rooms at Disney World for the week while the rest of you are all cruising! And have a rental car reserved at FLL to drive to Orlando!!!

I LOVE IT!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL......

The wonderful airline hub-and-spoke system has them making a connection ALL the way north in Minneapolis (obviously they are flying Northwest).

Okay, folks, for those of us following this soap opera, here are the flights you'll want to check on for on-time performance if you have nothing better to do on July 15:

Boise, ID to Fort Lauderdale, FL: 2625 miles 7 hrs 21 min

Northwest Airlines Flight NW436 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in coach class

Departs Boise, ID (BOI) Sat, July 15 5:50a 2 hrs 42 min

Arrives Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN (MSP) 9:32a

Northwest Airlines Flight NW1902 on an Airbus A319 (jet) in coach class

Departs Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN (MSP) Sat, July 15 10:40a 3 hrs 31 min

Arrives Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) 3:11p

Okay, folks, for those of us following this soap opera, here are the flights you'll want to check on for on-time performance if you have nothing better to do on July 15:

Also...the first leg of the flight from salt lake city to minneapolis can't be too late or the connecting flight to fort lauderdale will be missed.

Ok, I just found this thread and I can't wait until July 15th to find out what happens! I personally think it is absolutely selfish of them to take a chance of missing the ship when Grandma paid for it! I can guarantee they wouldn't even think about doing this if they had paid for the cruise with their own money! If I were Grandma and they aren't willing to change their flight plans, I would call up the cruise line right now and cancel. She might have a chance of getting some of her money back if she bought insurance.

Did they pay for their airfair?

What ship did they want to go on? You mentioned a disagreement on the choice.

No, Grandma paid for air, transfers, and cruise fare.

I don't know all the details about all the disagreements, but I know that due to everyone's schedule, this was about the only week that everyone (all 21) could make it, so we had little choice. So I'm not sure if they specifically had a different ship/time/route in mind, I just think they wanted more say in it and didn't get it.

I predict they will ATTEMPT to fly just about time NWA flight attendants institute CHAOS. They probably won't even make it to Disneyworld. Too bad. I only feel sorry for Grandma. Leave 'm stuck in Boise or Minneapolis. What ingrates!!

Here's an old article about the CHAOS concept and disruption to an airline, for those who don't know the concept

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/08/18_tonessb_chaos/

I predict they will ATTEMPT to fly just about time NWA flight attendants institute CHAOS. They probably won't even make it to Disneyworld. Too bad. I only feel sorry for Grandma. Leave 'm stuck in Boise or Minneapolis. What ingrates!!

Here's an old article about the CHAOS concept and disruption to an airline, for those who don't know the concept

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/08/18_tonessb_chaos/

And I'm not sure what Boise has to do with any of this by the way, no one is from Boise.

Hmmm...Interesting....I say that because the rest of the group (the other 17 of us) are also on Northwest. Hope we make it.

And I'm not sure what Boise has to do with any of this by the way, no one is from Boise.

That's the only flight from the west that departs for MSP at 5:50am (you mentioned that departure time). Or at least the only one I found in my search. BEAV found it first.

Hmmm...Interesting....I say that because the rest of the group (the other 17 of us) are also on Northwest. Hope we make it.

The NW FA's just certified a new union, so I'm not sure how much CHAOS will be happening around the system. Personally, I've always thought that ticking off your boss is not the best way to improve your bargaining position. Look at what happened with the mechanics at NW who are now looking for new work.

Since I used to work for the FAA, I can tell you that USAIR and Northworst Air have the 2 worst on-time records as of last year. Since Northworst Air has gone through a strike and Chapter 11, not to mention thunderstorms in Florida every afternoon, the flight will NOT arrive on time. Feel free to quote me on July 15 when the flight lands late. 95% chance they miss the cruise. Such a shame since someone else is paying a lot of money for thier trip too. If they want to make the trip, they should have picked a non-stop flight (if available from Boise.) Or fly in the night before and stay at a hotel.

Since I used to work for the FAA, I can tell you that USAIR and Northworst Air have the 2 worst on-time records as of last year. Since Northworst Air has gone through a strike and Chapter 11, not to mention thunderstorms in Florida every afternoon, the flight will NOT arrive on time. Feel free to quote me on July 15 when the flight lands late. 95% chance they miss the cruise. Such a shame since someone else is paying a lot of money for thier trip too. If they want to make the trip, they should have picked a non-stop flight (if available from Boise.) Or fly in the night before and stay at a hotel.

NO ONE LIVES, IS GOING TO, NOR COMING FROM BOISE!!!!!!!

...now I feel better.

There is a flight that goes from Boise to Fort Lauderdale, with a stop in Minneapolis. The family is flying from their home city TO minneapolis on a different flight, and then from Minneapolis to Fort Lauderdale. The minneapolis to fort lauderdale flight is the same flight that went from boise to minneapolis.

Because you mentioned their flight departed at 5:50am, and Boise was the only city I could locate with a 5:50am departure to MSP on Northwest. I noticed the flight from Salt Lake City, however it departs at 6:00am and you had earlier posted their flight departs at 5:50am. Thus my conclusion they were flying from Boise. Perhaps at one time the flight from Salt Lake was departing at 5:50am, but now departs at 6:00am. Of course the bottom line is no matter what their city of origin is, the true test will be whether they make their connection in MSP and what time the flight ultimately lands in FLL.

Because you mentioned their flight departed at 5:50am, and Boise was the only city I could locate with a 5:50am departure to MSP on Northwest. I noticed the flight from Salt Lake City, however it departs at 6:00am and you had earlier posted their flight departs at 5:50am. Thus my conclusion they were flying from Boise. Perhaps at one time the flight from Salt Lake was departing at 5:50am, but now departs at 6:00am. Of course the bottom line is no matter what their city of origin is, the true test will be whether they make their connection in MSP and what time the flight ultimately lands in FLL.

I see. I think that there is a flight on Continental that leaves SLC at 5:50am, and the Northwest flight that leaves at 6am, but I know they are for sure not on the Continental flight, but must have gotten the times confused. So yes, it is the 6am flight through minneapolis.

I see. I think that there is a flight on Continental that leaves SLC at 5:50am, and the Northwest flight that leaves at 6am, but I know they are for sure not on the Continental flight, but must have gotten the times confused. So yes, it is the 6am flight through minneapolis.

Correct. The 5:50am departure from SLC on Continental goes to Houston, not MSP.

Too bad they're not on that 5:50am Continental departure from SLC as it would put them in FLL at 2:15pm, a full hour earlier. But then again, that would increase their chances of actually making the ship.....

Salt Lake City, UT to Fort Lauderdale, FL: 2155 miles

Continental Airlines Flight CO 2160

Departs Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) Sat, July 15 5:50a

Arrives Houston, TX (IAH) 9:55a

Continental Airlines Flight CO 1448

Departs Houston, TX (IAH) Sat, July 15 10:40a

Arrives Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) 2:15p

Tripman, You have my sympathy!!! If I hadn't already done TWO family reunions this year I would swear these people were part of my family. Can someone put a little guilt trip on them? (that is what seems to work best in my family) Since Grandma paid can't she explain that she doesn't want the flight time changed, and is unwilling to risk her investment on their selfishness? Best of luck to you all! And I know it doesn't help but if they really don't want to be there maybe it's best if they aren't!

Make sure you let us know how it all works out!

If they really want to make the cruise, they should have caught the flight that leave Boise, ID at 1:40am and lands in Fort Lauderdale at 11:09am changing planes in Houston, TX. One way airfare is $298 per person on Saturday July 15.

If they really want to make the cruise, they should have caught the flight that leave Boise, ID at 1:40am and lands in Fort Lauderdale at 11:09am changing planes in Houston, TX. One way airfare is $298 per person on Saturday July 15.

I think the OP said early in this thread this family didn't want to lose a night's sleep flying red-eye, thus their request to Princess to be booked on a later flight. Of course I don't know how they expect to get a full night's sleep anyway in order to catch a 5:50am flight. Wonder how far they live from the airport? I can easily see them having having to get up around 2:00am to make such a flight. But again, are they really interested in making this cruise??? That's the million dollar question!

ugh....they are NOT from Boise, nor are they coming from Boise.

Sorry, BEAV put in his post they were coming from Boise for some unknown reason

Steve20832,

Read post #64 of this thread and you'll see how I reached my Boise conclusion, which Tripman acknowledged in post #65 and is also discussed by Flyertalker in post #61.

Is there a Snake River Cruise that leaves from Boise? ;)

And wasn't there a play "The Boise in the Band" ;)

(I'll stop before the tomatoes start getting tossed in my direction)

Or a big hook from stage Left...

Seriously (sort of), must we really wait a week for the conclusion to this riveting saga?? Let's hope Tripman will check in briefly with a ---they made it! or they didn't!

and Beav, you did good detective work with the info given---the Boise thing made it all the more entertaining!:p

Steve20832,

Read post #64 of this thread and you'll see how I reached my Boise conclusion, which Tripman acknowledged in post #65 and is also discussed by Flyertalker in post #61.

The conclusion is they will be waving the ship bye-bye as they pull up to the pier unless they pick an earlier flight.

Archived