Arriving at 3:15 in Fort Lauderdale...possible to make ship sailing at 5?

tripman

If these people really want to make the cruise, they can be encouraged by today's flight status. Looks like the connection in MSP went off without a hitch, and the flight into FLL landed a full 15 minutes early.

On the other hand, if they're hoping to miss the ship, today's results are cause for worry...

Northworst.....I have NEVER flown them without some sort of trouble.....leave late, miss connection, snow in MSP or DTW (ok not in summer), crew stuck in traffic (YUP! delayed flight 45 minutes!)

FLL....on cruise day....ick!

grandma paying and people being inconsiderate about possibly missing the cruise?? hmmm......no umbrella drinks for them.

get them the number for cayman air...i agree with one of the responders.

and honestly who sleeps the nite before vacation anyway??!! red eyes are fairly quiet. you don't get food anymore.....what's there to miss...catch a catnap on the plane. take a power nap on the ship.

sleep AFTER vacation........

i can't wait for the rest of the story.......(with nods to paul harvey!)

I have spent the past 30 minutes reading all of this thread completely amused.

As someone who lives in the FLL area, I'll put it this way: I doubt that they will make it. Frankly, I'll be surprised if they make it.

Contrary to what has been said before by others, FLL is NOT a big airport as far as big airports are concerned. There are four buildings having one or two concourses each and each concourse has only about 10 gates. But the reasons that have been provided by others here as to why they will likely miss the ship's departure are all very true. In addition to that, we indeed have been having bad weather (thunderstorms) almost everyday lately (a normal summer occurrence). Just this past Wednesday I had a relative fly in 2 hours late and she was only coming from Washington DC!

As has been said earlier, it does look to me like they want to miss the ship on purpose. Just like everyone else, I also look forward to tripman's post to indicate if they made it or not.

I have spent the past 30 minutes reading all of this thread completely amused.

As someone who lives in the FLL area, I'll put it this way: I doubt that they will make it. Frankly, I'll be surprised if they make it.

Contrary to what has been said before by others, FLL is NOT a big airport as far as big airports are concerned. There are four buildings having one or two concourses each and each concourse has only about 10 gates. But the reasons that have been provided by others here as to why they will likely miss the ship's departure are all very true. In addition to that, we indeed have been having bad weather (thunderstorms) almost everyday lately (a normal summer occurrence). Just this past Wednesday I had a relative fly in 2 hours late and she was only coming from Washington DC!

As has been said earlier, it does look to me like they want to miss the ship on purpose. Just like everyone else, I also look forward to tripman's post to indicate if they made it or not.

Juan!!! ;)

So glad you jumped aboard for all the fun! Boston Legal and Desperate Housewives are through for the season, so this is providing the soap opera we all need during the dead of summer.

Maybe we should position you at Northwest's gate at FLL for "on the spot" coverage next Saturday! That is, unless you're on a cruise somewhere!!!

Northworst.....I have NEVER flown them without some sort of trouble.....leave late, miss connection, snow in MSP or DTW (ok not in summer), crew stuck in traffic (YUP! delayed flight 45 minutes!)

I flew Northworst to my last cruise. I originally had a 2 hour connection in Memphis after a 30 minute flight from Little Rock. I ended up with a 40 minute connection in Memphis because we sat on the ground in Little Rock - waiting for somebody to come start the engines on the plane. Coming back, the flight was severely overbooked - as were all flights that day - and my original flight left 30 minutes late while they tried to get volunteers (I took the bump).

I hadn't flown Northworst in a few years because of bad experiences previously including the time their baggage handlers decided not to load the luggage onto the plane, for the last flight of the day into the airport I was flying into, after I'd been traveling for over 24 hours.

yikes! i am still looking for air for my sept alaska cruise. we need PHL/EWR/BWI or maybe DCA/IAD/JFK/ABE to SEA.

now if american hadn't fooled around with equipment and schedules maybe this would be done already.

Did you try Southwest out of Philly or Baltimore. They are having a sale now.

Hey BEAV!

I knew you'd be back in here sooner or later so I knew that it was only a matter of hours before we would be saying hello to each other. Hope that all is well by you. Unfortunately, I am not booked on another cruise until the Brillie TA in November. We are taking a close look at the QM2 short cruise over the Labor Day weekend out of New York (just to try out the big "Queen") but have not yet decided.

I hate to make it look to tripman like we are laughing at this scenario but I just cannot believe what these people are doing. All experienced cruisers here have always advised others to travel a day ahead when flying involves such great distances. I am one of those that have learned from those tips provided here.

Don't tempt me into showing up at FLL next Saturday afternoon to see if the flight from MNP (or is it MSP?) arrives on time or not. I'm only 15 minutes from the airport and if it wasn't because this would be really cruel I'd be there just to run back home and be the first one to post that the flight did not arrive as scheduled. But, I am trying to behave and be a good boy. Just realized that I can do the same thing by tracking the flight on the web.

Tripman: Please don't take this personally as I am sure that this issue is bothering you some and it really is inconsiderate to the grandmother. The only thing that I can say here is "Don't sweat the small stuff." And by the way, your grandmother is a great lady to be doing this for so many of you. She deserves a lot more respect.

Regards to all,

BEAV: I still remember "I like to have a martini........."

Juan,

ALL of us can check the flight status on the web. But only YOU :eek: can provide live "on the spot" news coverage for the growing bunch who are following this saga!

Funny, I've been eyeing that QM2 Labor (or Labour if you're Canadian or Brit) Day cruise as well! The only problem is the ship sails from Red Hook at 5:00pm. Coming from San Francisco I'd have to either fly in the day before or take a red-eye. And I don't want to do either one! But the first nonstop flight from SFO lands in JFK at 3:30pm.

So the question is, can I make it from JFK to Red Hook (Brooklyn) in 90 minutes and still catch the ship? :confused: :D :confused:

Tripman, I've got to hand it to you.....you've been a real trooper throughout this thread. I only wish your relatives were as concerned as you are!

Funny, I've been eyeing that QM2 Labor (or Labour if you're Canadian or Brit) Day cruise as well! The only problem is the ship sails from Red Hook at 5:00pm. Coming from San Francisco I'd have to either fly in the day before or take a red-eye. And I don't want to do either one! But the first nonstop flight from SFO lands in JFK at 3:30pm.

So the question is, can I make it from JFK to Red Hook (Brooklyn) in 90 minutes and still catch the ship? :confused: :D :confused:

LOL!!

Hi again Brian:

Are you for real? Are you for sure considering this cruise? We have not decided yet. I must be slow today as I took your post seriously but after reading wrp96's response it just dawned on me what you are doing. You got me!

How about if I show up at FLL next Saturday afternoon, take a picture of the guilty party, and then post it here for everyone to see?

Regards, Juan

Thanks for the update. This family reminds me of a family we had on the RCCL board a couple of months ago. They didn't want to go in a day ahead. They didn't want to have to get to the airport too early or have stand in line at the pier, because they had young kids. So for a cruise out of Galveston leaving at 5pm on a Friday, they booked a flight landing at 3:00pm at IAH, one that was only on time 70% of the time. Relatives that were traveling with them posted because they were all supposed to share a limo to the airport. We finally convinced the OP to not wait on the relatives and she finally convinced the relatives to at least fly standby on an earlier flight. They were able to fly standby and make the cruise. Oh, and somebody checked, their original flight landed 45 minutes late.

I can't help it but I have to ask -- do they have insurance that will pay their expenses hotel, etc. and to fly to the ship's next port if they are late and miss their ship? And anyway, would the insurance pay if the pax were told by Princess NOT to take this later flight?

I can't help it but I have to ask -- do they have insurance that will pay their expenses hotel, etc. and to fly to the ship's next port if they are late and miss their ship? And anyway, would the insurance pay if the pax were told by Princess NOT to take this later flight?

Insurance won't cover it if you pick a flight that is scheduled to land within 3 hours before sail time. Of course all insurance policies are different but I read one and that is what it said. I couldn't help notice that flight 1902 landed at FLL at 4:40pm today due to flight crew delay.

Unless they change their flight I believe they wouldn't make it. It seems to me that their heart isn't in it.

I want to wish Grandma a very happy birthday with her family.

These people are probably surrounded by a wake of negativity where ever they go. Am I right???

Keep smilin',

:) :) :)

Ditto what everyone else has said. Just make sure that you don't miss the cruise. I traveled 20 years for business and I can ensure your "friends" that flights do get delayed. Why take the risk? Why don't they want to get on the ship earlier and begin to enjoy their vacation?

I agree with Desert Cruisers above - it is more likely they will have a delay that will ensure they don't make it to the cruise on time.

We just flew back from NY yesterday, barely made our connection (even tho we had a 1 hr layover, the flight was 35 mins late, and we had to RUN to make it to our next plane - we made it, but our luggage didn't :eek: ! Just got it back this morning!!!) A very similar thing happened last week on our way to NY, but our luggage did arrive at the same time we did.

So, good luck to your friend, but don't make plans on meeting him for dinner!

Archived