Just back from Destiny

loowho

Just back from a fun first time cruise experience. Here are some tips to help you sail easier:

1) Buy your booze at the duty free shop at the terminal -- bring a carry on bag and wrap it in a towel. Everyone got their booze on board!

2) Aft cabins are awesome! The panoramic view of where you've been and the privacy of being at the end of a hall are great.

3) Laundry -- well, bring a lot of clothes. One one drier worked on the Upper deck and the line was long. Everyone was trying to use other deck driers and it was frustrating. I had to get up very earlier to wash clothes!

4) Don't miss out on the sit down dinners -- the Lido deck buffet is okay but you'll never go back after comparing the food and service at the Galaxy or Universe dining rooms. Breakfast is cool in the dining rooms because they sit you with other people. We had very interesting breakfast conversations!

5) On sea days you need to grab a lounge chair by 9:00 or so, maybe earlier.

6) The Club 02 for 15-17 year olds isn't that cool according to my kids. My teens found other teens by hanging around the Lido deck after supper and being brave enough to be friendly.

7) You can save a lot of money by taking taxis and going to places on your own. For example, we swam with the turtles in Barbados by taking a $20 taxi ride and then paying $15 per person to rent snorkle equipment. We rented three snorkle kits and then 6 of us shared them for the day and no one cared. We went jet skiing in Aruba by taking a $8 taxi ride to Eagle Beach and renting 1/2 hour rides for $30 per person. Then we hung out at the hotel pool across the street and got buy one get one free drinks.

8) Don't miss out on Carlos and Charlies bar near the cruise terminal in Aruba. It's a hoot and worth a walk over for some drinks and fun.

9) The Destiny offers free Dove Shampoo and this very nice blue body wash for free in your shower. Don't waste precious packing space for these items unless you don't like these products.

10) Most folks really dressed up nice for the formals. Not too many tuxedos, but bring something that makes you look and feel elegant!

The first formal night was lobster (the southern kind) and prime rib. The second semi-formal night was shrimp. I forgot the meat.

Well I hope this helps you plan an enjoyable cruise on the beautiful Destiny!

was on the destiny last nov 05- 2nd time in 2 yrs- loved it- am a single female in late 40's and never had a problem meeting people- did island tours of barbados, st thomas, aruba, domenica- booked tours off the ship- (walk up taxis) for alot less $$- loved the dining room for breakfast, lunch and always dinner- also loved the lido deck too for breakfast and lunch when in port- never felt out of place traveling solo- have done it over a dozen times and am doing it again this nov on the valor- i can do what i want and when i want!

loowho, I've always done excursions through the ship (with the one outstanding exception of Capt. Marvins in Grand Cayman-best shore excursion ever!) & have a couple of questions. You just go up to the taxis parked by the pier? Can they accomodate 5 passengers? The $20.00 was the toal (not per person like the airport transfers)? Any help would be appreciated. Sheephugs

Oh and the $20 was the total price for the taxi. In Dominica we booked a tour through Reyno -- but never went! Our friends on the cruise took it and loved it. Beno and Reyno are two tours that are highly recommended on these threads.

• 1 month later...
Just back from a fun first time cruise experience. Here are some tips to help you sail easier:

1) Buy your booze at the duty free shop at the terminal -- bring a carry on bag and wrap it in a towel. Everyone got their booze on board!

2) Aft cabins are awesome! The panoramic view of where you've been and the privacy of being at the end of a hall are great.

3) Laundry -- well, bring a lot of clothes. One one drier worked on the Upper deck and the line was long. Everyone was trying to use other deck driers and it was frustrating. I had to get up very earlier to wash clothes!

4) Don't miss out on the sit down dinners -- the Lido deck buffet is okay but you'll never go back after comparing the food and service at the Galaxy or Universe dining rooms. Breakfast is cool in the dining rooms because they sit you with other people. We had very interesting breakfast conversations!

5) On sea days you need to grab a lounge chair by 9:00 or so, maybe earlier.

6) The Club 02 for 15-17 year olds isn't that cool according to my kids. My teens found other teens by hanging around the Lido deck after supper and being brave enough to be friendly.

7) You can save a lot of money by taking taxis and going to places on your own. For example, we swam with the turtles in Barbados by taking a $20 taxi ride and then paying $15 per person to rent snorkle equipment. We rented three snorkle kits and then 6 of us shared them for the day and no one cared. We went jet skiing in Aruba by taking a $8 taxi ride to Eagle Beach and renting 1/2 hour rides for $30 per person. Then we hung out at the hotel pool across the street and got buy one get one free drinks.

8) Don't miss out on Carlos and Charlies bar near the cruise terminal in Aruba. It's a hoot and worth a walk over for some drinks and fun.

9) The Destiny offers free Dove Shampoo and this very nice blue body wash for free in your shower. Don't waste precious packing space for these items unless you don't like these products.

10) Most folks really dressed up nice for the formals. Not too many tuxedos, but bring something that makes you look and feel elegant!

The first formal night was lobster (the southern kind) and prime rib. The second semi-formal night was shrimp. I forgot the meat.

Did you take a taxi from the airport to the port or use the Carnival shuttle. If you used a taxi, how many people can fit into a taxi? We have 31 who need to get from the airport to the port.

Did you get on the ship and back off to buy your booze or buy it before you got on?

thanks

We were on Destiny last week also. Didn't clue in about doing breakfast in the dining room. What were we thinking? We tried dinner and didn't care for it. Not fancy type eaters. But I'm sure brekkie would have been an improvement over every morn in the buffet.

Did you leave from the Old San Juan pier? I'm getting mixed reviews that you can buy booze there and you can't.

Anybody stay in cabin 6276 or close to it? Is it a good location? Quiet?

One more question about taxi's from the airport - do you need to get a porter when you get to the port to take your luggage? So you have to tip him too which adds to the cost of the taxi vs Carnival transfers, right? Cause, I believe Carnival will handle the luggage if you use their transfers, right?

Did you leave from the Old San Juan pier? I'm getting mixed reviews that you can buy booze there and you can't. There is a duty free shop right in the terminal with good prices and no problems bringing on, at least in Feb.

Anybody stay in cabin 6276 or close to it? Is it a good location? Quiet? We were in 6371

One more question about taxi's from the airport - do you need to get a porter when you get to the port to take your luggage? Yes when you get there the porters meet the taxis and yes you tip them , we usually tip 5$ for 2 bags. It is so much easier to just grab a taxi then waiting for a transfer bus to fill up. Also if you take the transfers you are arriving with 40 or so other people. We don't use transfer so I don't know how they handle luggage, but I believe I read on these boards that when the transfer arrives at the pier you pick up your luggage and then hand it to the porters . I know someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Archived