Galapagos - October timing? Lindblad Polaris?

My husband and I are booked to go on the Lindblad Polaris Galapagos trip on October 13, 2006.

* do any of you have any experiences to share about the Galapagos during this time period?

* or Lindblad as an excursion company?

* or the Polaris in particular?

One of the most difficult things for me to decide was timing. One travel agent told me that Oct/Nov and Apr/May were the best times to go in terms of animal activity, weather, and fewer tourists. Every time I look at a calendar though, I see things in other months that intrigue me.

Everyone who has taken this trip says it is extraordinary and I keep thinking of what I will miss during the month I am there (for instance, I'd love to see some of the bird's courtship behaviors.)

In any case, do you know how things just lead you to booking a trip? They all led to this time period so I don't want to second-guess (aside from the fact that changing would be difficult to impossible.)

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't speak to the timing. We were on Lindblad's Polaris in May. It was, without a doubt, the best vacation we have ever taken, and we are pretty well-traveled. My husband and I usually go for "art and history" locations. Galapagos was not our typical fare so we had mixed feelings about it, until we arrived.

Lindblad has got the Galapagos down pat. They have been sailing this region for decades. They are the "800 lb gorilla" for this excursion. The biologists, geologists, botanists, and other experts on board are all native Ecuadorans who exude a great deal of pride and knowledge about their national treasure and its native inhabitants. We learned so much and had a tremendous time doing it.

The Polaris is an older ship. This trip is quite comfortable and intimate, but not luxurious. You will have a great time, as long as you are willing to take care of yourself. No butlers on this boat!

I envy you your upcoming trip. Enjoy the mating dance of the Blue Footed Boobies and the amazing display that the Frigate birds put on to attract a female. You are really gonna love it.

Vanessa

• 1 month later...

We went in May 2002 on the Polaris- it certainly was the trip of a lifetime, rivaled only by taking Lindblad's Endeavor to Antarctica last year. I don't know about the weather in December, but as the Galapagos are so close to the equator, I think the temperature is pretty even all year round, with a little more rain in the winter.

The Polaris is old, but the cabins are comfortable. The food is decent and the guides fantastic. We combined the trip with the Peru extension and saw Macchu Picchu. It was almost sensory overload as both were great.

thank you Alaska Boo and Benita for your comments.

I was told April/May and Oct/Nov were the "best" months for animal activity in the Galapagos due to different behaviors, weather and not peak number of tourists. My Dec. date is a bit later than ideal based on my agent's recommendation, but only a bit later... There should still be some "new" sea lion pups to swim with (I hope.) I think we'll miss the courting behavior of some of the blue footed boobies, but I've seen photos of the frigate birds with their red pouch inflated from December... In any case, I will see more than I could see at home, true?

i've done a great deal of research on this trip. Sometimes I wonder if I've learned too much? I've seen photos of everything, read guide books, what if I've spoiled the novelty of this trip?

Everyone who has been speaks so highly of this trip, that I'm beginning to get nervous that it won't live up to my expectations.

• 2 months later...
There's nothing like being there!!! It's always nice to know a little about where your visiting.

I'm going on Xpedition Dec. 10th

Have a great vacation!!

Dan

Perhaps I'll see you there! I'll be aboard the Polaris the 8th thru the 15th, spending a few days on either end in Quito (including Otavalo.)

Archived