Glacier Point Widerness Safari Excursion.....

lianaks

Those who took this excursion specially this year, please share the experience. Which is the better time for this excursion, the 8:00 am is completly booked 10:30 am still available. Should I go for it for 10:30 am?

Do you get wet on this excursion? Will camera be safe from water? Thanks.

Liana.

Those who took this excursion specially this year, please share the experience. Which is the better time for this excursion, the 8:00 am is completly booked 10:30 am still available. Should I go for it for 10:30 am?

Do you get wet on this excursion? Will camera be safe from water? Thanks.

Liana.

I would also like to know which time is better. Does this excursion usually fill up?

We got back from Alaska yesterday and went on the Glacier Point Wilderness Excursion last Wednesday, July 6th, at noon. It totally exceeded our expectations. The canoe ride up to the glacier is beautiful and the guides are wonderful. The catamaran ride is also a great excursion all by itself. I cannot describe the beauty and closeness of the glacier. This excursion is worth every penny and more. We sacrified the railroad trip to go on this excursion (took the bus to the summit instead) and are happy we did. Book it before it fills up! We took lots of pictures that I will eventually post.

Hi Billrco90278,

Thank you, I can't wait for my trip in 3 weeks, I have the execursion reserved for 10:30 am. Did you get wet at all from the Canoe ride? How was the weather on your excursion? Please post the picture can't wait to see. Thanks.

Liana.

Hi Llana,

We did not get wet at all. The weather was beautiful, but with rain it would be another story. We were told that it was unseasonably warm and sunny. We were issued with a life jacket, a second jacket, and rubber boots to keep the feet dry. This excursion will be one of the highlights of your trip!

Depending on the starting times, the two can be squeezed together.

We did not want to on nothing but tours in Skagway. However, I did want to go up White Pass so we went on the 90 minute mini-bus excursion. It was a good trip; very scenic and the driver was friendly with interesting commentary. The bus trip was from 8:30-10:00 and we then went on the Glacier Point trip at noon. The driver let us off in Skagway so we had plenty of time to explore the town. I am sure the bus tour is not up at the level of the train, but I feel we got a worthy substitute. Advantages of the bus are that it stops and you can get out to view the scenery and take pictures. Also, it costs much less one half the train fare.

My husband is really interested in the train so I'm really hoping to squeeze in both. I'm guessing there won't be enough train times to fit with this tour. If anyone has done both please chime in! Otherwise I'll probably have to give up this and do the train only.

Depending on the starting times, the two can be squeezed together.

We did not want to on nothing but tours in Skagway. However, I did want to go up White Pass so we went on the 90 minute mini-bus excursion. It was a good trip; very scenic and the driver was friendly with interesting commentary. The bus trip was from 8:30-10:00 and we then went on the Glacier Point trip at noon. The driver let us off in Skagway so we had plenty of time to explore the town. I am sure the bus tour is not up at the level of the train, but I feel we got a worthy substitute. Advantages of the bus are that it stops and you can get out to view the scenery and take pictures. Also, it costs much less one half the train fare.

Billrco90278 - I just booked the Glacier Wildnerness Safari Excursion for our trip out to Alaska in August. We'll be travelling with our three children (ages 16, 13 and 8) We're scheduled for the noon excursion. Unfortunately, we had to cancel our White Pass excursion since the times overlapped. I'd like to do what you did - do the 90 min. mini-bus excursion to the Summit - but I have some questions:

1. Where do you catch the bus?

2. Is the bus ride to the summit a worthwhile trip for 3 children?

About the Glacier Safari Excursion - at what time did they give you the boxed lunch if the excursion began at noon. (just want to know whether the kids need to fill up on food first).

Thanks so, so much - your review prompted me to go on the Glacier Wilderness Excursion - a bit pricey for five of us but I'm sure a very worthwhile experience.

Hi Five Party,

Here are some answers. If you book the bus trip through your cruise the bus will be waiting at the end of the pier. I don't know the age of your kids, but it should be suitable for them. It stops many times to let people for for a few minutes to take pictures and look around. The driver's commentary is also interesting and light.

The Glacier Point Wilderness Safarti meal was a turkey/cheese wrap, sun chips, a cookie, and a bottle of water. When we left at noon we wer told tht the normal serving times is on the catamaran on the way back to Skagway. However, they offered to serve the meal on the way to the Glacier. You could take some of the meals and split them and save the rest for the return trip. Of course, I don't know when your times are. We booked through Princess and they offered the Glacier Point trip either from 7:30-12:00 or 12:00-5:00. My wife and I found this trip exhilierating and beautifual and I believe you made the right choice in selecting this excursion over the railroad.

As an aside, we booked all of our excursions thorugh Princess and were very happy with the results. BTW, another fantastic tour we went on was float plane to the Taku Lodge in Juneau.

Hi Five Party,

Here are some answers. If you book the bus trip through your cruise the bus will be waiting at the end of the pier. I don't know the age of your kids, but it should be suitable for them. It stops many times to let people for for a few minutes to take pictures and look around. The driver's commentary is also interesting and light. .

My children are 16, 13 and 8. I booked the bus trip 8:30 am departure. Do we actually cross the border and therefore need our passports for this mini-bus ride? (We're in Skagway from 7:30AM to 8:30 PM on Aug. 9 - Serenade of the Seas - departing Aug. 6)

Thanks so much for the information - it's been very helpful. Let's just hope it doesn't rain:)

Your kids should enjoy the bus ride. The driver will check for passports for each rider. We went a few miles into Canada, but there was no crossing, guards and nothing was checked. The bus did stop at U.S. custom on the way back and we were waved through after the guard exchanged some words with the driver and nobody's documents were checked there either. Compared to airports it was refreshingly low key.

Your kids should enjoy the bus ride. The driver will check for passports for each rider. We went a few miles into Canada, but there was no crossing, guards and nothing was checked. The bus did stop at U.S. custom on the way back and we were waved through after the guard exchanged some words with the driver and nobody's documents were checked there either. Compared to airports it was refreshingly low key.

Sounds like we'll have a great time. Once this bus ride is over, we'll be getting ready for the Glacier Wildnerness Safari Excursion at noon that day- can't wait!!!

Thanks again for all of your helpful information.

Bill and anyone else who has been on this this -- my mom and I have reserved this for our August cruise, but she is worried about how big the catamaran is and how bumpy the ride is as well. Can someone describe the boat? She gets nervous easily :)

Thanks guys :)

On our most recent trip to Alaska we did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari.

It was incredible! From my journal:

================================================== ==

Day 6 – Wednesday June 8, Skagway

Few times in your life you get that feeling that what you are about to do will list in the top 5-10 things you’ve done in your life... well this was one of them. We signed up for the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari excursion in Skagway. I had a good idea before we went that it would be good, but it far exceeded my expectations.

We were met at the pier by one of the guides (Jeff). He was a lively guy, especially at 7:00 AM. You almost wanted to take his coffee away and not give it back. J But we didn’t. He got us onboard the Chikat Express – a very fast catamaran that could reach speeds of ~50 MPH (http://www.ship-technology.com/proj...hilkat_express/). Our destination was Glacier Point. It was about 33 nautical miles from Haines and I think we were about seven or eight nautical miles from there.

As we made out way out of the channel, Jeff (our guide) told us how in 2001 he was one of us. After this excursion while on his vacation, he made the decision to quit his job and move to Alaska. He did. He is now a resident of Haines, Alaska. He really has passion in what he is doing and also in Alaska. He explained so very much to us on out ride over to Glacier Point. He was also very animated in his presentation style.

He was currently living at Glacier Point, in the wilderness with about 10-12 other guides. This was getting more fascinating by the moment. Besides explaining what things were and why things were in Alaska one of the other things he mentioned was how to tell a true South East Alaskan. He said to ask them for the red tide book. He pulled his out and showed it to us. It is a small pamphlet that tells what the tides are for each day of the year. Basically, you are in a lot of trouble in South East Alaska if you are not aware of the tides. For instance, that day there was a 19.3 foot tide fluctuation. The first high tide of the day was at 2:10 AM at 17.3 feet and the first low tide of the day was at 8:47 AM at – 2.0 feet. The second high tide was at 3:18 PM at 14.9 feet and the second low tide of the day was at 8:47 PM at 4.1 feet. He then told us we could pick up a free copy of this pamphlet at the Skagway True Value Hardware store. (Later in town we picked up a copy – a real Alaskan souvenir!)

We did a beach landing at Glacier Point. This is the wilderness, there are no docks. Within a minute of all exiting the catamaran, it was gone. So there we were far away from civilization, far from the crowds, far from the noise, far from everything. It was awesome. We had incredibly nice weather that day. The scenery was indescribable!

Jeff taught us that anything (mountains) with a sharp jagged edge had not been covered with ice. Anything shaped like a “U” is where a glacier had been at one point. We explored the surrounding area. There were thousands and thousands of wild roses just up from the beach. One of the significant facts about this beach was that John Muir visited here in the late 1800s (Travels in Alaska by John Muir). We were told that the glacier (Davidson Glacier) ended near the beach back when John Muir was here. Today the glacier is miles back as it is a receding glacier.

A few hundred yards away was a modified 4x4 school bus. It was our transportation to where they had all the gear we needed for this excursion. It was a short trip, maybe a few miles through the rainforest. Jeff pointed out information about the forest as we drove. The types of trees, size of trees and density of trees were all indicators of the age of the forest. It was very interesting.

We got off the bus next to a structure that had rain gear, boots, and extra jackets. Everyone traded their shoes for a pair of boots. Next everyone was given a jacket as the temperature would be about 20 degrees cooler as we got closer to the glacier. And finally each of us was given a life vest. It was sunny that day so the guides decided we did not need to have the raingear J.

Next we all hiked about a quarter mile towards the beach on the DavidsonRiver. A few hundred yards from the beach is where we first had a glimpse of Davidson Glacier. Of course everyone wanted to stop and take pictures. They divided us up into groups of 6-8, gave us safety instructions regarding canoes, and one by one we were on our way paddling to Davidson Glacier.

Our canoe guide was very knowledgeable regarding glaciers and our conversations were mostly in that area. This was an incredible excursion! At one point our guide picked up a piece of ice (from the glacier) and passed it around the canoe. We got within 100 yards of Davidson Glacier. Plenty of pictures were taken during this time.

In two trips to Alaska, this was without doubt the best excursion we had been on. The absolute highlight of our time in Alaska. Needless to say, we highly recommend it!

================================================== =

To see pictures from our Glacier Point Wilderness Safari, click on

Alaska 2005 below - Glacier Point pictures are on the top row.

Good luck and enjoy Alaska!

Thanks for the review Frames -we've booked this excursion for noon on Aug. 9 because of all of the reviews from this board and can't wait. (DH, myself and three children ages: 16,13,8)

I didn't realize that if it's raining, they will provide you with rain gear - good to know since we don't want to be lugging around extra stuff.

One question (a silly one) but here goes: when were you able to write the details of this excursion (throughout the excursion or from your memory after the excursion).

By the way, the pictures are phenomenal - again thank you - we're convinced now more than ever that we picked the perfect excursion for our family.

We went on July 5 on the 2:30pm and it was AWESOME! A perfectly sunny day. The only thing about the excursion was the mesquites the size of silver dollars! There is bug spray at the clothing/bathroom hut before you get going on the "trail".

This excursion is well worth the money! Some of the people who went on the train wished they would have done this trip because they didn't feel like they got up close and personal with nature. You can check out my blog for pictures and comments from this trip. http://www.garyhart.com/blog

I was able to document my trip using my mobile phone and uploading the comments at each port.

Gary,

We went on the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari on July 5th too. We started at noon. What can I say but that it was magnificient and one of my peak lifetime travel experiences. We have many pictures that I am still sorting out. We had beautiful weather. However, if the weather is stormy, one's "Alaskan" experience may actually be enhanced.

If you like the outdoors and closeness to nature, skip the train and take this excursion!

Gary,

We went on the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari on July 5th too. We started at noon. What can I say but that it was magnificient and one of my peak lifetime travel experiences. We have many pictures that I am still sorting out. We had beautiful weather. However, if the weather is stormy, one's "Alaskan" experience may actually be enhanced.

If you like the outdoors and closeness to nature, skip the train and take this excursion!

Bill,

We actually got to see some calving that totally got the guides excited. It was one of my highlights as well, simply incredible! That 360 view was beyond what I could have hoped for and I am glad I purchased a high-definition video camera to capture it all.

Even it would have been raining, it is still an incredible thing to do, paddle up to a living glacier inches above the water!

This trip sounds great... but... 2 out of shape couch potatoes here, who haven't paddle a canoe since 1960-something... The descriptions don't sound too strenuous and the hiking part doesnt seem too long. Any suggestions on what kind of physical effort this trip takes? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being sitting on the train :) and 10 being the level 3 glacier trek, which I know is not in my future! Where would you rate this trip on the physical side of things?

We did not do much paddling. Much of the time the guide turned on the outboard motor. There is a 1/4 mile trail to the canoes which is easy, but uneven. Getting in and out of the canoes may be a little difficult, but the guides are there to assist and nobody had a problem. The canoes are extremely stable with lots of legroom. On a 1-10 physical scale, I would rate this excursion a 3.

We did not do much paddling. Much of the time the guide turned on the outboard motor. There is a 1/4 mile trail to the canoes which is easy, but uneven. Getting in and out of the canoes may be a little difficult, but the guides are there to assist and nobody had a problem. The canoes are extremely stable with lots of legroom. On a 1-10 physical scale, I would rate this excursion a 3.

thanks! I think even DH can handle a 3! :)

Mine too lol So about how long is the canoe part. I'll need ammo to convince DH. I even had a dream last night that I was in a small boat in front of a glacier, then I woke up freezing LOL

Archived