Question RE: Ste Anne de Beaupre

My family and I are traveling on a RCCL cruise in September. We are docked in Quebec from 8 am- 11 pm. My parents and some friends are somewhat mobility impaired. The find long tours and/or a lot of walking very difficult.

While in Quebec we all agree on wanting to see and spend some time at Ste. Anne's. The tour offered by RCCL is only three hours long and combines the stop at Ste. Anne's with a stop at the falls, and some sort of bread factory. We are concerned that the time at Ste. Anne's will be somewhat limited.

Does anyone know anything about the RCCL tour, or know of an alternative that we may be able to do on our own. There are seven adults on this trip. Is it possible to find a tour when we leave the ship? Or as an alternative how far would a cab ride be?

Thanks for any help

Linda

The Falls and St Anne are fairly close together (you go by Falls on the way to St Anne) but have no idea re bread factory? We spent about 30 mins at St Anne when we were there last winter -- it was almost time for a mass... what day of the week are you there? The hours vary somewhat but if RCI is offering tour would assume church would be open to the public also. Here is a good link to find some local tour operators and info: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais/regions/region_quebec.html and also the website for St Anne which gives info on tours etc for those like yourself who don't want to do a cruise ship tour http://www.ssadb.qc.ca/en/index.htm. I don't think it would be that difficult. One company that offers tours outside the city to St Anne is La Tournée du Québec Métro (tel. 800/672-5232). They pick up at hotels, probably at the port also?

If you want a true Quebecois meal the Ancient Canadian has an excellent fixed price menu that is reduced in price before 5:00 p.m. and you can call ahead or email for reservations..http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca. There are an abundance of excellent restaurants in lower and upper town that offer traditional cooking also -- a gastronomic delight:p

When in this port 3 years ago we hired a cab at the end of the ramp. The driver, Erroll Picard, drove us all around the city, then on out to St. Anne...

he was an excellent driver who loved his city and gave a great tour, stopping for as long as we wished at each stop, including the very attractive waterfalls. I don't know the name of his company, but it was a family run business. We are going this route again in Oct. leaving from Boston on the Jewel of the Sea, and would hire him to tour us to other areas, if we could locate him. We find it more enjoyable hiring our own cab and spending time where we wish to, rather than an organized tour.

L.L.

We too will be going to Quebec City on RCCl, Jewel of the Seas Sept. 18 out of Boston. Would also like alternative tour choices vs. ships.

I travel to Quebec often and could write you a book on the ports you are visiting (I think, have been to most all on that itin at least once, most recently last Sept.)! There was a long post re Sydney a while back, Bar Harbor, Charlottetown with suggestions on what to do without doing a tour..what ports are going going to? I'll be glad to give you links nad some suggestions.

Quebec is very very walkable and you cans spend two-three days exploring without ever getting in a car... but it is "walkable" so those that can't navigate uneven pavement, steps etc. might do better with tour (at least a self-guided one with cab).

Just post your ports.. be glad to help.:D

You don't need to do tours in Bar Hua

:)

Any of the ship's that offer tours to St Anne's do not spend a great deal of time there. The church does have ramps so getting in and out won't be a problem. There is so much to see there that you need to hire a taxi driver and spend quality time there. There is a very nice religious shop behind the church.

And since the falls is just a short drive away - about 5 minutes, maybe you see them as well. There is a lift to take you down to the bottom of the falls - your driver could meet you down there.

:)

I think a cab to Ste-Anne-de-Beaupré would be very pricey but a good way to explore the city (in fact, the falls and the Cathedral are not part of Quebec City). An alternative would be to rent a mini-van, I think it would be a lot cheaper. There is also a honey factory on the way to the Cathedral. Never visited it but I always thought it would be great to.

I have one more suggestion. There is also an island named Iles d'Orleans that is nice to see if you rent a car. The bridge to go there is very close to the falls. There is a lot of nice old houses from colonisation time. You can simply drive around the island and stop at a few nice spots you see on the way. Or if you have time and want to see the city itself (old Quebec, tourist area, is very nice I enjoy going there often) and can't walk too long, I recommend a horse drown carriage. Probably quite expensive but I am sure it is worth it for people who cannot walk too much. The Chateau Frontenac (Fairmont Hotel) is a must see.

Sorry, I couldn't find my way back to this board. We are in Quebec on a Sunday. I have looked into some of the tour sites, we are currently considering either a cab or hiring a van and driver. There are 7 of us. Does anyone know if there are cabs that can accomodate all 7 of us.

Thanks

Linda

I have just spent a week in Quebec City and would be glad to answer questions. I agree that Aux Anciens Canadiens is a great restaurant with wonderful traditional Quebec cuisine.

Ste. Anne de Beaupre is about half an hour outside the city. The church itself is accessible but there is quite a distance from the parking lot to the church. Even when mass is in session, you may walk quietly and respectfully around the perimeter, except in the chapels behind the altar. Also, there are other small chapels on the property, and a beautiful outdoor Stations of the Cross, which are not handicapped accessible, or only with great difficulty. Be sure to find out if there are any major celebrations planned for the day you will be at the shrine, as you might encounter large crowds of people.

There is a wonderful woodworking shop on the old route heading back to QC from the shrine. I can give you more info if you wish.

Just down a side street at Ste. Anne de Beaupre there is a delightful little restaurant called the Augerge Les Volets Verts where we had a great "Home cooked" lunch with delicious desserts. The young couple who run the restaurant also have a gift shop next door.

Archived