What exactly is conch?

pampaul

I've always seen TV specials where someone is on an island and they order either conch fritters, conch salad, conch chowder, etc. I am a big fan of seafood and love clam fritters, chowder, seafood salad, etc.

I'm assuming the conch versions of this is similar. Does it taste basically the same? Any differences? I would love to try some while in either Bermuda while I"m there next month.

Yes, the taste and consistency is very similiar to clams, calimari, all those little creatures. Conch (pronounced KONK) comes from those large beautiful shells. I love conch chowder!

We ordered conch fritters in the dining room on our cruise one night several years ago, and it was wonderful. We also sat at an outdoor cafe on St. John last December and ordered some. Different recipe, still wonderful. If you like clams, you'll love conch.

When we visited Nassau and went to the aquarium n the Atlantis, we saw live conch - really big mollusks. They're not pretty, but they taste great!

Conch is indeed the critter that lives in those beautiful shells that you "listen to the ocean" in. They are also quite tasty. Conch chowder is ok if you are a clam chowder kind of person, but personally I prefer the cold conch salad.

My DH and I were first introduced to conch when we went to the Bahamas on our honeymoon. By the end of our trip, we were seeking out locals to find out where they liked to eat their conch if they were going to eat out. By this time we had tried so many different preparations of conch, who could have thought it could get better, but it did. We were directed to a conch shop that any department of health would have squealed at. My DH and I, not being the prissy sorts, decided to brave the decidedly ramshackle hut atmosphere and shared one of the finest meals we have ever had.

I don't live in an area where one can get conch, but if I go somewhere it is offered, I know I will order it again. I hope you will get the opportunity to try some - and that you will enjoy it as much as we did. :)

Harvesting conchs is now extremely limited, if not forbidden, in U.S. waters. Most places in Miami, etc., get their conch from the Bahamas.

There was a time when conch were plentiful in the grass flats off South Florida, but no more.

That is why a Caribbean cruise is a good time to give it a try.

I always like a shot of dry sherry mixed in with my conch chowder, and the more Tabasco, the better.

If you can find a place that actually puts a lot of conch meat in their chowder, as opposed to all tomatoes and potatoes, sit there and eat all you can.

If you can find a place that actually puts a lot of conch meat in their chowder, as opposed to all tomatoes and potatoes, sit there and eat all you can.

I've had a lotta conch chower in my day, some with diced potatoes, some without - but I've never had any w/tomatoes. I guess maybe some places serve it like clam chowder - either New England (white) or Manhattan (red)???

Conch is indeed the critter that lives in those beautiful shells that you "listen to the ocean" in. They are also quite tasty. Conch chowder is ok if you are a clam chowder kind of person, but personally I prefer the cold conch salad.

My DH and I were first introduced to conch when we went to the Bahamas on our honeymoon. By the end of our trip, we were seeking out locals to find out where they liked to eat their conch if they were going to eat out. By this time we had tried so many different preparations of conch, who could have thought it could get better, but it did. We were directed to a conch shop that any department of health would have squealed at. My DH and I, not being the prissy sorts, decided to brave the decidedly ramshackle hut atmosphere and shared one of the finest meals we have ever had.

I don't live in an area where one can get conch, but if I go somewhere it is offered, I know I will order it again. I hope you will get the opportunity to try some - and that you will enjoy it as much as we did. :)

Whoo! Brings back memories! Was it Boss Hogs in Nassau?

My ex and I used to walk to the wharf early in the morning when the conch fishermen were coming in. For a tip, they would cut that sucker out of the shell, slice it paper thin, douse it in lime juice and a shot of hot pepper sauce and let you eat until you busted! Delish!!

Also, the wonderful ceviche made with conch...Oh, heavenly! Redolent with lime juice, chopped onions, green peppers, hot peppers, a little salt. YUM!

Boss Hogs was in the (ahem) colorful part of town. Was a rambling old thrown together shack of a place with a half-gone palm roof that had the best grouper, conch and Caribbean lobster at local prices... I haven't been back in years and wonder if it is still there. They made the most interesting side dish that was served with nearly everything. It was cold, cooked potatoes, chopped tomatoes and onions, lots of garlic, the ever-present chopped hot peppers, a squirt of lime juice and a touch of peanut oil. Memorable!:) :)

We ordered conch fritters in the dining room on our cruise one night several years ago, and it was wonderful. We also sat at an outdoor cafe on St. John last December and ordered some. Different recipe, still wonderful. If you like clams, you'll love conch.

When we visited Nassau and went to the aquarium n the Atlantis, we saw live conch - really big mollusks. They're not pretty, but they taste great!

:confused: are they chewy ?

I wouldn't say chewy, exactly. - unless it's overcooked of course...but you know you have something wonderful in your mouth that tastes like heaven. Think "al dente" penne pasta, sort of. It has a great, fresh taste of the sea! Try it sometime; you might like it!:)

I wouldn't say chewy, exactly. - unless it's overcooked of course...but you know you have something wonderful in your mouth that tastes like heaven. Think "al dente" penne pasta, sort of. It has a great, fresh taste of the sea! Try it sometime; you might like it!:)

;) okay, thanks....I guess we can get them here in Maine but they are much smaller....I just asked DH, he is the manager of a fishermans Co-Op...so I definitely will try them at some point when I can...the didn't have any of the Dawn as far as we can remember .....

I'd say they are definitely chewy, but not overly-so. As I said, about the same consistency as clams and calamari, which are both a bit chewy.;)

;) gott cha..well they are in the same family as clams and I love clams as long as they are cooked correctly....I will try anything once...you never know what you might be missing out on ;)

When we sailed to Key West, I was determined to try conch fritters. The rest of my family were determined not to. So I found a takeout place right by the ship. The conch fritters were fantastic! Similar to hush puppies by with more flavour and of course pieces of conch. I ended up buying 2 orders as the family, who weren't going to try them, ate the first order:D .

peace, Anna

ate (red) conch chowder, conch fritters,& conch salad in the bahamas for years. it never been quite the same since. the salad has to be made and eaten very quickly. it's all good.

conch cho

I love conch fritters, although I've never seen conch on a cruise menu. Key West is one place where you should be able to find them. Now you are all making me hungry for seafood. Fortunately there's a restaurant near us that serves conch fritters - yum!!!

I love conch fritters, although I've never seen conch on a cruise menu. Key West is one place where you should be able to find them. Now you are all making me hungry for seafood. Fortunately there's a restaurant near us that serves conch fritters - yum!!!

What restaurant is that? I won't be getting to Chicago until after my Baltics cruise (probably no conch there), but DH would love it if we could get conch fritters anywhere around Chicago - he has relatives and friends all over the area.

Sweetpea-2, the conch that your DH can get in your area is very different from the conch from warmer water. I'm a displaced Floridian living in N.J. who tried to duplicate conch salad of my youth. I should have known better. The flesh didn't even resemble conch meat---the meat was gray not pink in color. To make matters worse, there was at least a tea cup of grit infused into the meat. Some things just can't be duplicated out of the native region. So, I guess that you'll just have to keep cruising until you come across some good conch in a warmer climate. Enjoy your next cruise.

• 3 months later...

I have a question about conch.

I have strange mix of allergies...I am VERY allergic to shrimp and lobster but...I can eat crab legs without any problem at all or clams. What family does teh conch belong to? Has anyone with shrimp allergy had any problem with conch?

I find them very chewy (but this is based on my limited experience, having had them only twice). I got the fritters; maybe I should try the chowder if I have another chance. It's always fun to try something new.

• 1 month later...

I went to a local place in "downtown" Nassau in June, 2001. It was in the same area as some of the government offices and the clientele included them and locals- but I was the only obvious tourist there. I ordered grilled conch (flat pieces with criss-cross scoring) in a meal with fried plantains and I can't remember what else- it was lovely! My husband doesn't eat any type of seafood (not even canned tuna) so I was on my own to find some. It was worth it! I asked the guide from our morning mini-bus tour and that's where he sent me. It was about two blocks up from the docks, one block past that busy shopping street. I'll see if I can dig up the name somewhere!

Archived