Tipping for Shore Excursions

jeff Schaber

Do most people usually tip the shore excursion personel? We're doing a $450 helicopter flight in Skagway and 15% is $70. I already think the flights are pretty pricey so adding anoth $70 to this really makes them expensive. We have over $1200 in shore excursions booked and I'm not sure If I should be tipping for each one.

Any suggestions?

Tipping is always appreciated, but on excursions, that 15% thing can be a bit unreasonable.

For the flying thing, if it's a "pilot's choice" -type tour, $10-20 for the pilot is great.

As a guide, i've always felt that for most day-trips if i got $5 per person, i'd be happy, regardless of the cost of the trip.

We tipped each guide $5.00 per person, so $10.00 each. We agreed with the concept that we had already paid a lot for the trip. That seemed to be in line with what most other people were doing as far as I could tell. There were also many that didn't appear to tip at all.

Dusty

Hey HockeyBoysMom. I was on the same Diamond Princess 7/1/06. How did you like it? I totally enjoyed the cruise and our independent pre-tour to Denali. Missed you at the cruise critic get-together on Sunday July 2.

John

John-

We had the absolute best time. We were completely impressed with the whole thing. I couldn't believe the person's negative review, as we thought it was wonderful. Our service was impecable the entire time. And who could complain about anything with such gorgeous weather! There were a few things I would change, but in all, it was far and away the best vacation we have ever taken. We put a future cruise deposit down for another cruise so we can take our son in August of 2008. That time we are going to do a land tour beforehand and then cruise home.

I didn't notice the cruise critic get together until it was almost over, so we skipped it this time. I would have liked to have gone though, as these boards are certainly part of the reason everything worked out so well for us.

I hope you enjoyed it as well.

Dusty

Archived