Room Service Menus

When we sailed in an "S" suite we noticed that we had more breakfast choices than when we were in an "A". We always received everything we asked for and never once ordered from the pillow menu.

One strange thing though, when we arranged our suite party on Zaandam the concierge asked how many of the couples were also in suites as they limited the number of non-suite guests. I don't know if this was an isolated ocurrence or it is the policy. Does anyone know?

GN

For bookworm 0911...

We're in an "SC" category "suite" with that BIG balcony, which (weather permitting) I plan to totally enjoy (along with the rest of my group of 8, who are in "VA" & "GG" & "H" cabins). I haven't had previous cruise "practice" utilizing a Concierge, so I've much to learn. Thanks for the information.

For sail7seas...

I think I am going to need a "school" for learning how to be the proper "suite" passenger. Thanks in the meantime for being such a good tutor. I guess I'm going to get a lot of exercise visiting the Neptune Lounge Concierge from my "aft" cabin, so I won't be gaining much weight on this cruise. OK...I do know that I can simply phone her, but the exercise WILL do me good! I do pray that EGGS BENEDICT will be offered on our cruise...thanks for giving me the heads-up on that one.

For Krazy Kruizers...

Thanks for posting the "regular" room service breakfast menu. I'm glad that my "second" balcony breakfast choice is listed...HAM & CHEESE OMELETTES...mmmmmm good! It is always good to have a "Plan B"!

And for grannynurse...

I appreciate the "heads-up" that the number of other "suite" guests may play a factor in my planned Balcony Breakfast Bash. If I run into a problem with that one (since ours will be the only suite), at least the "VA" occupants are in the cabin right next to us and can order their own breakfasts (plus a couple more) to be delivered to their cabin and we can just open up the divider between our adjacent balconies and create an even bigger one. We'd just have two cabins that looked like they contained the BREAKFAST PIGGIES with the extra larges breakfasts that we'd order to accommodate the other four people ("GG" & "H" cabins) in our group. I'm sure well get it figured out...especially with the help of the Concierge! (I'm already budgeting in a big tip for her.)

Debjo

Debjo,

Since our party was not a standard meal time and was under the suite perk of "hors d'ouerves in your cabin every afternoon", I think you have a different situation. All pax may have room service breakfast. You are just choosing the location. We invited non suite guests to breakfast on Maasdam and never went through the concierge. We just ordered breakfast for 4 to be served on the veranda (they brought the mimosas).

You , because of the number of guests, will require more seating and table service, so do get help from your concierge. The issue of room service breakfast should not be a problem. We were invited to dinner for 8 in the penthouse and our hosts told us there was no charge to them as the ship did not provide the wine. We had menus, and the same table service that we would have received in the dining room, just on a more personal level. We did have waiters and a wine steward.

After the room set up at our party, we served ourselves. We did have a wine steward though, and a great clean up crew. Don't forget to tip.

I'm sorry if I caused you any concern with my post.

GN

For grannynurse...

Thanks so much for sharing your "suite" eating experiences with me. I wasn't concerned at all...being "new" to all this, I realize that the more insight I have from other peoples experiences, the better off I'll be in my planning. I'm looking forward to all of this so much I can almost taste my Eggs Benedict now!

Debjo

Thanks to Krazy Kruizers for posting the menus. Now that you've made me hungry, can you tell me when breakfast is available from room service?

Also when do the Lido and dining room serve breakfast and lunch?

Thanks,

Margaret

Room service is available 24/7. If you want coffee at 5am, call and order it. Just ask for a big pot or you will get a small dinky one. For room service it's best to be VERY specific in what you want. Don't assume they'll bring butter for you waffles...ask.

Regular RS breakfast will depend on if it's a port day or a sea day. People with early tours will order for 6am. If you fill out the card check the time you want it delivered. We never do use the card, we call about 45 minutes before we want it served.

The Lido buffet stops serving breakfast around 10-10:15 and opens again for lunch around 11. The grill and the pizza station are supposed to stay open until 5, they often close earlier if there's not many people around. On most ships Lido dinner starts at 6:30 but I think it's earlier in Alaska, and stops around 7:30pm.

The dining room lunch is open seating and opens on sea days at 12:30. Some ships don't use the dining room for lunch when in port.

Breakfast, I believe is at 8 until about 9:30, also open seating.

Each ship can vary the times a bit so check your daily program each evening for the next day.

GN

Thanks for all the information about the meal times. But your answer raised the question: Waffles? They are not on the breakfast menu posted here; I noticed because I love waffles and pancakes. Are they always available or are they like the eggs benedict thing, sometimes yes and sometimes no?

Thanks,

Margaret

And for grannynurse...

I appreciate the "heads-up" that the number of other "suite" guests may play a factor in my planned Balcony Breakfast Bash. If I run into a problem with that one (since ours will be the only suite), at least the "VA" occupants are in the cabin right next to us and can order their own breakfasts (plus a couple more) to be delivered to their cabin and we can just open up the divider between our adjacent balconies and create an even bigger one.

Whoa!! Back up the trolley---

The balcony dividers open now?

That is terrific!

Wait, this doesn't involve me bringing hand tools aboard does it?

PS - we have ordered the cheese and crackers from time to time and this was the worst that we have ever had

The cheese sampler was horrible, not only when ordered in-room, but also as a dessert platter in the resataurant. The choice of cheeses in the Lido was a shame as well. Not to mention the Neptune lounge (for deluxe verandah suites, where there was no cheese at all...)

Never ever in my life wasI offered such a poor, small and bad selection of cheapest supermarket kind of cheeses. I had to make this experience thanks to HAL.

We cruised NE on AMS for 10 days on 06/22/2006

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

]

Uh oh, I know now what DH will be doing at least once every afternon/evening....ordering up some shrimp cocktail! This will be his first-ever cruise. He's told me that he's hoping he'll be able to have shrimp cocktail every day, and it sure looks like it will be that way for him! ;)

Thanks Krazy Kruizers for the list. It does help us newbies quite a bit!!

If I'm not mistaken, the Room Service shrimp cocktail will not be the same as what is offered at dinner...

I believe the RS shrimp are quite small...not like large or jumbo you would get in the dining room. I could be mistaken; just thought I'd mention it so you might "warn" hubby! (particularly if it's his first cruise). I'll bet someone else will jump in on that one...!

Paul :)

While in port (obviously :D), we're gonna be off the ship running around from 3pm until 9:30pm, so we won't be around "within the first half hour of when the dining room opens."

Would we be able to procure a dinner menu and somehow order earlier....or will we be restricted to the room service menu?

I doubt very much they would serve you a full dinner that late. But, perhaps the Lido will have a late night buffet like they did on the Amsterdam this past January. Every night was a different theme, and the buffet opened, I believe, at about 11:00 p.m. or so. You could perhaps head up there for a bite to eat after getting back in from port. Also, to be honest, I would assume if you're in port all day, you're probably gonna wind up eating dinner on shore anyway. A lite bite might be really all you'll want by the time you get back to the ship. That buffet would fit the bill nicely.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Peaches and crystal808--

Thank you for the heads up about the bay shrimp being quite small! I appreciate that a lot, however, that information did not faze my husband one little bit! *LOL* He's still planning to order some up from the room service menu. When I read to him your posts regarding the small-sized shrimp (he's at the firehouse tonight), his response was, "Shrimp is shrimp, no matter what the size. It all tastes the same to me."

Mmmm, I'm beginning to think he's primarily looking forward to all of the culinary delights that will be available to him on the ship, don't you?!? :D Oh well! Thanks for your help!

Amy

Peaches and crystal808--

Thank you for the heads up about the bay shrimp being quite small! I appreciate that a lot, however, that information did not faze my husband one little bit! *LOL* He's still planning to order some up from the room service menu. When I read to him your posts regarding the small-sized shrimp (he's at the firehouse tonight), his response was, "Shrimp is shrimp, no matter what the size. It all tastes the same to me."

Mmmm, I'm beginning to think he's primarily looking forward to all of the culinary delights that will be available to him on the ship, don't you?!? :D Oh well! Thanks for your help!

You're quite welcome, Amy! Just wanted to be sure that the expectations for that particular order wouldn't be "missplaced"! I know your husband will find plenty to be happy with!

Smooth sailing to you both....

The cheese sampler was horrible, not only when ordered in-room, but also as a dessert platter in the resataurant. The choice of cheeses in the Lido was a shame as well. Not to mention the Neptune lounge (for deluxe verandah suites, where there was no cheese at all...)

Never ever in my life wasI offered such a poor, small and bad selection of cheapest supermarket kind of cheeses. I had to make this experience thanks to HAL.

We cruised NE on AMS for 10 days on 06/22/2006

Just a question but do you think it might be reflective of people eating more healthy these days? There used to be large offerings of cheese each day. If the choices are now less interesting, they may have found much was being wasted. Many people no longer wish to eat all that saturated fat and the ships may have been wasting lots of cheese each cruise. Thus, they cut make on what they offer.

Gradually many North Americans (who for the most part fill HAL ships), are eating more carefully. They are not gouging on the kinds of food that used to be eaten in huge quanities on the ships.

I don't know if that is true but it is a possible reason for you seeing less interesting cheese.

If I'm not mistaken, the Room Service shrimp cocktail will not be the same as what is offered at dinner...

I believe the RS shrimp are quite small...not like large or jumbo you would get in the dining room. I could be mistaken; just thought I'd mention it so you might "warn" hubby! (particularly if it's his first cruise). I'll bet someone else will jump in on that one...!

They will be pretty much like you get at all those places in Las Vegas or you see in the pre packaged jars at your super market. Don't get me wrong, they are like some lines refer to as baby shrimp and they taste just as good, but don't give you the same feeling as eating a real jumbo shrimp cocktail. it appears many cruise lines are cutting back on the "real thing" NMnita

My guess would be it is HAL cutting costs and buying the cheaper supermarket cheeses, as MiRo and others said. People still love to eat the great cheeses, especially on vacation when they are splurging a little and also not paying themselves for Edam/Gouda/Brie versus Kraft American. :D
I agree, I don't think it has much to do with helping us eat healthier. NMNita

:confused: I am sorry to harp on this--but honestly---

do the balcony dividers really open?

That will be so awesome if they do since we are planning on having a couple of cabins together---if we can all sit outside "together" that would be terrific!!

The dividers to not open flat against the wall of that is what you want to know.

On some ships like the R and Vista class ships, it is just a door that opens up - your room steward can to that for you.

On the Statendam for example (S class), the suites do not even have a door that will open from one verandah to another.

Archived