Room Service Menus

The Lido buffet stops serving breakfast around 10-10:15 and opens again for lunch around 11. The grill and the pizza station are supposed to stay open until 5, they often close earlier if there's not many people around. On most ships Lido dinner starts at 6:30 but I think it's earlier in Alaska, and stops around 7:30pm.

GN

Are you positve on the lido dinner hours? Is it really only an hour (non-Alaska) or two (Alaska)?

The Lido seem to change ship by ship. On our Hawaiian cruise in Mar/Apr on the Amsterdam, the dinner lIdo hours were from 6 - 7:30.

On our June Statendam Alaskan cruises, the Lido was open for dinner from 5:30 - 7:30.

Then we have been on some ships when the Lido was open for dinner from 6:30 - 8.

Just have to read your daily planner for the times.

The Lido seem to change ship by ship. On our Hawaiian cruise in Mar/Apr on the Amsterdam, the dinner lIdo hours were from 6 - 7:30.

On our June Statendam Alaskan cruises, the Lido was open for dinner from 5:30 - 7:30.

Then we have been on some ships when the Lido was open for dinner from 6:30 - 8.

Just have to read your daily planner for the times.

Thanks.....I really enjoy this type of Dining. The longer days in Alaska make the view while dining fantastic. I hope its atleast 2 hours.

I too am terribly dissapointed with the selection of cheeses, both in the lido and from room service. 4 tiny pieces that would hardly cover the plain boring saltine crax. I remember the lovely cheese displays in the lido where you could cut a wedge of your choice, and enjoy it with a hard roll or a variety of crax. I hardly eat any meat so cheese has always been one of my selections.......but I don`t want Kraft style which isn`t aged, but set up with rennet, made from pigs feet.....jean:cool:

Did anyone speak with HM or Culianary Operations Manager (is that what they call F&B's today)?

If that were something they used to have that I missed, I absolutely would speak with someone and let them know I missed it. If no one says anything, maybe they figure no one noticed or cared and the cutback doesn't matter.

I'd even write to headquarters about something you seem to miss as much as I am sensing this disappointed you.

Afterall,,,,,,,,these are Dutch ships. It doesn't sound unreasonable to expect some Dutch cheese. JMHO.....:)

I mentioned it to the maitre'd - he said that most people prefer American cheese ....

If he was talking about what pax put on a hamburger, ok, I'll go along with that. But on a cheese plate, on hors d'ouevres or a dessert plate? Ever heard any adult say I'd like some saltines and a Kraft Single for dessert? Give me a break, HAL. :(

If he was talking about what pax put on a hamburger, ok, I'll go along with that. But on a cheese plate, on hors d'ouevres or a dessert plate? Ever heard any adult say I'd like some saltines and a Kraft Single for dessert? Give me a break, HAL. :(

I agree........ I think that's 'baloney'. I find it hard to accept passengers asked for that junk. Give me a break, HAL.

I can't help with the PB&J but I can tell you that there is no special children's room service menu at least none that I have ever seen. What KK posted is about it. The dining room has a dinner menu for kids. PB&J might be on that.

If PB&J is not on the room service menu you can ask. I can't guarantee they will deliver it, since they don't make things special for room service but asking never hurts. :)

They used to have individual serving packages of peanut butter and the same for jelly/jam in Lido every morning. IF (and I'm not sure they still have it), you could easily make your own PB & J for your child. Ask Room Service for a few slices of bread and you'd be all set.

I seem to think they now have a dispenser sort of system where you would have to take one of the little cups to serve yourself some peanut butter. They have little plastic cups that hold roughly a little more than tablespoonful out at the burger bar that are used for mayo, ketchup, mustard etc I'm sure if they have eliminated the pre-packaged individual servings it is for environmental considerations to stop wasting so much packaging...and the need to dispose of it all. I think they have the little cups at the end of the buffet line near where you pick up toast/toasted bagels etc

Recently on the Statendam, someone in line ahead of me asked for peanut butter. One of the lido servers pulled out a VERY large container of Skippy and put some in a small plastic cup to the person.

We ordered a cheese plate recently and got thin slices of pepperjack, cheedar, blue cheese and a wedge of brie. I would have liked a variety of interesting crackers instead of the packaged saltines. (There were also grapes and walnuts.)

We have yet to order dinner in our cabin even though we have stayed in the penthouse suite several times.

We will be sailing on the Zaandam in August and will again be in the penthouse suite. We have decided that this time we will have dinner in the room at least once.

Happy cruising everyone!

I have enjoyed reading these posts about room service, and now I have a question....On port days, has anyone ordered room service to go? I'm sure that HAL staff won't pack a lunch for you as you leave the ship on a port day, but I'm wondering if you could order some food from room service (maybe some fruit and the club sandwich), and then pack it yourself in a few baggies, throw some ice in a collapsible lunch cooler, and off the ship you go with lunch already on hand. On one of our port days, we get in at 11 AM and don't leave until midnight. I'm sure we'll end up eating dinner while out and about, but we're planning to explore the island with a rented vehicle, so we'll also be on our own for lunch. Any thoughts, ideas, personal experience with taking food off the ship? Thanks in advance!

Amy

Amy raises an interesting question. I've always thought it was against customs regulations to take any food (& flowers) off of the ship at any port, but it is OK to bring along factory prepackaged food for snacks (that you've brought from home). I've also read where some people have ordered room service and packed it in some "zip-lock" baggies (they brought from home) to take ashore or on excursions so they wouldn't have to "buy" food while they were off ship. Does anyone know what the "regulations" really are about doing this?

Debjo

Just as the US has strict regs about bringing most foods into the country, so do most other countries. Packaged snacks, eg chips etc would be OK. Cheese is usually OK, any fruit, meat, flowers, is strictly a No-No........jean:cool:

elmorejj----Thank you for the information regarding what can and cannot be brought off the ship when in port. For some reason, I was thinking that non-US ports tended to be not as particular as far as what could and could not be brought off the ship. Getting a bite to eat right before we get off the ship and taking along a few packaged snacks will easily get us through the afternoon until dinner!

Amy

a few years ago we were taking a very long (all day tour) which did not include lunch. We were in Dominca and didn't realize there were any restrictions. I just grabbed stuff like cheese, a few slices of lunch meat, a couple of rolls and a banana or so for lunch. No one ever said a word. It certainly helped us get through the long day, but now that I know it isn't allowed I wouldn't do it again (well I would still grab the cheese and rolls) NMnita

Archived