Need Great Ideas of clever things to bring

long2cruise

I pack those 3M hooks. They're easy to pack and come off the walls and doors very easily. For our anniversary I printed a Happy Anniversary sign, ran it thru my xyron machine with removable adhesive and posted it on the outside of our cabin door, made a couple more for the inside of the cabin too!

Dawn

• 3 months later...

I always bring a liter sports bottle (the non-disposable kind) for water. Great by the pool, on excursions, nursing a hangover :eek:, whatever. I go with a bright color so that it cannot be confused and tossed out by staff, or carried away by another passenger who thinks it is their bottle (this is the trouble with refilling a water bottle from the room). This is the ONLY thing that saved us during a sweltering day in Cozumel (well over 100 in the shade). Bottled water becomes increasingly expensive on days like that. It is also nice not to have to drink the water from the cabin sink if you don't want to pay $3 to quench a 3 am thirst. Squeeze the air out for packing - I can fit 4 into the front pocket of my suitcase.

Also, for thrifty cruisers - you can often find T-shirts at the Walgreen's in any given port that has the store. Usually 2 or 3 for $10. Good for getting t-shirt gifts for little ones at the very least.

• Like 1

Although I've only needed them once, I always have a bottle of ginger pills with me. You can get them at any drugstore (Walmart, CVS, etc) where the vitamins are. If you're susceptible to motion sickness, or cruising during a storm, take these instead of dramamine. They work better and no side effects.

We were on a ship once with 12-15 foot waves. All four of us took our ginger pills and headed to the dining room for dinner feeling fine. It was empty because a lot of people were sick or sleeping from the pills they took. It was one of the busiest nights the infirmary had seen.

Last cruise, we didn't need them but one of our tablemates was feeling ill. He didn't even make it to dinner the first night. We ran down to our room, gave him a handful, and got a "thumbs up" everytime we saw him on the ship after that.

Sorry for the long response, but I can't say enough about the ginger pills (similar to drinking ginger ale for an upset stomach). Don't sleep your vacation away if you are someone prone to motion sickness.

• Like 2

Although I've only needed them once, I always have a bottle of ginger pills with me. You can get them at any drugstore (Walmart, CVS, etc) where the vitamins are. If you're susceptible to motion sickness, or cruising during a storm, take these instead of dramamine. They work better and no side effects.

We were on a ship once with 12-15 foot waves. All four of us took our ginger pills and headed to the dining room for dinner feeling fine. It was empty because a lot of people were sick or sleeping from the pills they took. It was one of the busiest nights the infirmary had seen.

Last cruise, we didn't need them but one of our tablemates was feeling ill. He didn't even make it to dinner the first night. We ran down to our room, gave him a handful, and got a "thumbs up" everytime we saw him on the ship after that.

Sorry for the long response, but I can't say enough about the ginger pills (similar to drinking ginger ale for an upset stomach). Don't sleep your vacation away if you are someone prone to motion sickness.

So very true! I swear by them as well, and have only had one bout of stormy seas to use them in. If all else fails, eat foods heavy in ginger or ask the sushi bar (if the ship has one) for some pickled ginger. I met a woman on one ship that ate frozen yogurt with ground ginger sprinkled into it - she swore it worked as well as the pills. Good excuse to eat ice cream everyday at any rate.

• Like 1

Wow, just when I thought I had heard everything there is to know about what to bring on a cruise, you guys come up with some new stuff. I love the idea about giving crew members chocolate candy and souviners (sp?) from where you live. I'm going back to the 99 cents store to get candy and some key chains from California. I also love the idea about tipping with a $2 bill! Great ideas everyone!!!!!:D I think I will make up some Easter goody bags for the room stewards on my 4/7 cruise. Such a great idea from the person that gave her room steward a Christmas stocking. What a thoughtful person! It is amazing isn't how such a small gesture can make another person's day a little brighter. I always compliment people that I meet during the day on something they are wearing. The great smiles I get in return make my day!! Love the daughter that got her mom all the stuff from the dollar store! What a sweet daughter you are. Your mom raised you right! Actually there are lots of nice, generous people on this thread! Not a single person complaining or flamming anyone! Love it!:D

• Like 2

I also pack a large insulated cup with a flip top so i can make one giant cup of tea in the morning, that way i can enjoy my tea without having to go back for more (the cups onboard are sooo small) I take french vanilla in a soda bottle too, makes my tea taste like home. It will last all week if i keep my DH out of it!! The cabin steward always keeps ice in my bucket to keep it cold.(cover it with a plastic bag so the ice doesnt melt as fast. I also leave the cabin steward a hand written thank you with his/her tip. i also pack butter bowls with lids. Easy to pack, just put your unmentionables in them. Undies and socks fit nicely!! Plus an insulated drink cup with straw for making your own drinks for the pool area. Plug ins are nice too, my room always smells fresh.

Cable Ties!!!! The kind that slips through the hole in the end and only tightens.

A hand full of these do not take up much room and they are great for securing your suitcases, bags, makeup bags, medicene bags etc.......so you know no one has tampered with your stuff while out of your room. You can be very clever when tying these so you will know if they have been tampered with.

I have heard strange stories of what stewards do to peoples stuff if you have irrated them...

Such as with your tooth brush??? YUK!!!!!! :eek:

I guess I don't trust people as much as some do.

But doing this puts my mind at ease.

These ties come in allll different colors and they come off with a snip of your scissors.

Yes, these are a MUST for me

• Like 1

I go on my 1st cruise in June but since my DD & I will be driving somewhere soon & I am taking this, I thought it might be good on a cruise too, to use when you are just lounging in your chair on the deck or your balcony. Why not take your personal CD player, some CDs & the ear phone. You can put that stuff in your luggage or, carryon with a couple CD's & listen to it on the plane/car.

Just got back from a cruise in the Caribbean. Our son came back on the ship from one of the islands with a mound of sand in his shoes and poured them out in the middle of the cabin. Looked like we had more sand in the cabin than they had on the island. Took good ole duct tape and had it up in a jiff.

-Repeating the value of the over-the-door shoe rack! I kept all my toiletries in it plus $$ for tips and ID cards at night. It kept the bathroom and desk area tidy.

-We actually used duck tape on our last cruise (camera battery cover repair, taped the shoe rack down so it didn't slap the wall, repaired a suitcase, and reinforced seal ziploc bag)

-For those traveling with small kids - a rubber door wedge to keep the door SHUT.

-For those traveling with a child in diapers - diaper disposal bags!!!!! Our Dollar Tree has small plastic bags that are lightly scented (100 for $1) and help alleviate the smell if you have to throw them away in your room. We also collected sea shells in them.

-XL Ziploc bag for dirty laundry (then we duck taped it shut and sent it with the rest of our luggage at the end of the cruise)

-GINGER! It does work wonders!

-Lanyard for ID card. Or pouch hung around the neck that serves the same purpose as not all women's shorts have pockets. (they are very easy to make yourself)

-I made our kids towel bags, packed them with their swimmers and they carried them on so they would have them when we first got on the ship -- they were the first ones in the pool! Then we used the towels bags when we went to beaches and even laying out on the deck when the courtesy towels were unavailable.

-The portable DVD player and _copies_ of favorite movies. We had a family member not feeling well during the entire cruise and it helped to have a variety of movies for her to choose from while she was in bed.

Love the candy/hometown token/tip idea!

As for packed and didn't need -- shirts. I always pack too many "dress" shirts and not enough t-shirts.

jc42

• Like 1

Hi Basebalmom, I was just reading over the packing list you put on a thread and was wondering if you had this written down anywhere on line and could send it to my e-mail. If was a really good list and look to be very useful. We are going to Hawaii in October and will be with three other couples and I wanted to be able to give this list. I was hoping I wouldn't have to copy it myself if you have it in written form to send by e-mail. Thanks in advance if this is possible.

Brenda

In addition to many of the items already posted, I always bring 'Super Glue". It can be a life saver. I had to repair my wife high heels when she broke a strap as we going out the door to dinner. 5 minutes later we back on track and went to dinner. If she would have had to change shoes, she would have had to change outfits, ect.. I would have been eating on the Lido Deck instead of the dining room.

• Like 1

I will be a first time cruiser on Carnival Miracle 5/27/07 and this thread has been incredible. There were so many things listed that I never would have thought of, and the best were the ideas for the thank yous for the crew members. The candy ideas are sweet (no pun intended) and the hometown souvenirs will definitely be a hit, the international calling card idea is a really great idea for people who are so far away from home, and of course, the best was the woman who made the christmas stocking - I literally started crying when I read that. I've been on tropical vacations in very poor areas and know how hard these people work, and I am glad to have read all of these ideas of how to thank them and show my appreciation. Thank you all for your amazing ideas.

Cathy :D :D :D

• Like 1

I do the chocolate route, too. The day after Easter, hit the stores and get Russell Stover individually packed ones for half price. I got a lot after Valetines Day for my upcoming trans-Atlantic cruise and stashed them in the freezer. Will hit the stores again Monday.

If any of you are smokers (no flames, please) I carry an old Altoids box to use as an ashtray. That way, I can go far, far away from other passengers to enjoy my smoke instead of huddling around the lone ashtray with the masses and getting dirty looks from the poor people that have to go by them. Why do they always put ash trays near doorways? I really can't blame non-smokers for getting upset.

Tucker in Texas

Several people have mentioned Portable DVDs or bringing your own movies from home.

I don't know about other cruise lines, but Holland America has a DVD player in each stateroom. But did you know....

DVD players will also play your CDRom music from home? You'll get a black screen, or maybe a screen saver on the television, but the music CD should work just fine, and the pause, volume, skip track/scene buttons on the remote work too!