S.S. Oceanic-Home Lines Where are you?????

Our First cruise was on the S.S. Oceanic-Home Lines October 11, 1969.

Fare for two was $580 plus $4.00 port tax for a total of $584.00.

New York to Nassau and Freeport.

Food equal to the best restaurants in NYC. Drinks .25 to .60 cents, beer .30 cents, imported beer .35 cents, soda .15 cents.

Service equal to or better than any modern day luxury cruise.

Good old days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the year of my first cruise and my first cruise on the fabulous wonderful Oceanic. I had just graduated from nursing school and my girlfriend and I decided to leave our boyfriends behind and take a cruise to the caribbean in I believe June of 1969. We had a great time and were likely the youngest young ladies on the ship. I became addicted to cruising after that. I cruised the Oceanic three more times with my husband, the last being the winter of 1979. I try to explain to people how wonderful that ship and crew were but it is almost impossible unless you experienced it. The food was wonderful. I still remember the bands that played in the Agean Lounge. All the beautiful green velvet sofa's and chairs. It was often rocky cruising NY to Nassau in the winter on such a small ship and the waiters were wonderful in helping with the seasickness remedies! Great great days!

• 4 years later...
That was the year of my first cruise and my first cruise on the fabulous wonderful Oceanic. I had just graduated from nursing school and my girlfriend and I decided to leave our boyfriends behind and take a cruise to the caribbean in I believe June of 1969. We had a great time and were likely the youngest young ladies on the ship. I became addicted to cruising after that. I cruised the Oceanic three more times with my husband, the last being the winter of 1979. I try to explain to people how wonderful that ship and crew were but it is almost impossible unless you experienced it. The food was wonderful. I still remember the bands that played in the Agean Lounge. All the beautiful green velvet sofa's and chairs. It was often rocky cruising NY to Nassau in the winter on such a small ship and the waiters were wonderful in helping with the seasickness remedies! Great great days!

I first rent on this cruise as a 4 (1974)year old with my grandmother, parents and sister. We did the Christmas week sailing about 6 or 7 times. Neil and Shirley ran the kids program. I can still picture Everett E. Everett and in my mind I can still taste the wonderful milkshakes we used to get. The first time we sailed I hit my eye on a table the night before we sailed. All of the crew would look at me and say poor bambina. My parents must have said a thousand times on that trip "she ran into a table" such fond memories. Many years later we went on her when she became the big red boat... it just wasn't the same!

Oceanic_2010-09-08_01.jpg

Although Cruise ships don't typically last past 40 years old, The 46 year old (she was bult in 1965!) Oceanic is mercifully still sailing for the Peace Boat Organization:

Peace Boat is a Japan-based international non-governmental and non-profit organization that works to promote peace, human rights, equal and sustainable development and respect for the environment.

113614.jpg

The array of public spaces on the ship have been adapted to serve as lecture halls, classrooms, offices, workshop rooms and rehearsal areas. Students from the Global University, International Student and Global English and Espanol Training programs use the classrooms, and the ballroom and lounges are ideal venues for public speaking, functioning both as lecture halls and stage spaces.

• 1 month later...

My first cruise was on the Oceanic in March of 1982. It was a late honeymoon (we were married in Oct of 1981) and both sets of parents sailed with us! I remember not telling them our room # so they wouldn't book one close to us. We sailed to San Juan, St Maarten and St Thomas, from Miami. My husband (before we met) sailed on her in 1978 from NY to Bermuda. I can't believe she is still sailing as the Peace Boat. Wikipedia said she was attacked by pirates near Yemen in 2010. She has a long history!

We are finally planning my second and my husband's third cruise...... to Alaska this July on the Golden Princess to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We are hoping to make some more good memories.

Barb

We sailed on the Oceanic ( Premier Cruise Line) as the Big Red Boat in 1989. It was Disney's first foray into cruise/park vacations. We had great fun and enjoyed our trip immensely as we had nothing to compare it too. It was getting a little "long in the tooth" even then. I remember thinking it had been a retired warship or working ship since the "kneeknockers" were present into the cabin. Guess I was wrong reading about its history. At that time, it was a short 3 or 4 day cruise that went only to Nassau. I am amazed to see she is still out there sailing along!

My first (& second) cruise was on the Oceanic. A girl friend & I were 19 years old working for AT&T and this was our first vacation as mature sophisticated women (???). The Oceanic was a beautiful ship. We loved dressing up every night (2 formal nights, 3 semi-formal, and the first & last nights were dressy). We dozed on the lounge chairs poolside by day, went to the horse races and high tea at 4pm, napped in the cabin until time to get ready for late seating dinner, and then danced and talked with friends we met until we watched the sun come up. It was the time of huge Bon Voyage parties in your cabin and Midnight Buffet every night. I thought after that first cruise that it was the best way to travel and still do 40 years later. Thank you, Oceanic, for beginning many happy memories.

• 1 month later...

DaliCat: "Thank you, Oceanic, for beginning many happy memories" -- My thoughts, too! I sailed with Single World and, like you, had second seating. In addition to the things you mentioned, I recall that we had two cabin stewards - morning and evening. It was a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...

I first sailed on this amazing ship in 1996, which happened to be my first cruise. I fell in love with this ship and with cruising in general.

Sure, she seemed a little old, but that was part of the ambiance for me. I loved this ship, the crew and everyone that I met on board.

This cruise began a life long love of cruising!!

• 1 year later...

The Oceanic was my first love and will always be. There is no other like her.

My first trip on her was back in 1966 in September. A girlfriend of mine had a friend who had been on her the previous year and said about the great time they had. So we booked a cruise to Nassau and were suppose to stay in Nassau for a week and were then going to sail back to New York the following week when she returned again. We met a lot of single people on that cruise and were having an absolutely wonderful time and both of us really were wishing were weren't staying in Nassau because of the friends we had made.

The hotel we were to stay in was undergoing renovations which we hadn't been told about, and when we met the group for lunch on the first day of docking, they said we were very quiet. We explained about the hotel and since Home Lines had an office on the Main street of Nassau, we went over and found out that we could come back on the next day before she sailed back to New York. We just had to spend 1 day at this terrible hotel. Well, when we came back the next day, several of the crew met us to welcome us back. What a great group. That started my love affair with the Oceanic.

I took many more trips in the fall of the year and again during the winter months and fell in love with one of the crew. I came to New York often to see him, and was able to stay with a girl I had become friends with on one of my cruises and she would always let me stay with here so I could see Gino when the ship came in for an overnight stay.

I went to visit him in Italy for 6 weeks and fell more in love with him. However, there was no happy ending, as I we had an argument over something that had happened before I met him. But he couldn't forgive me. I just couldn't go back on the Oceanic again. I sailed other lines, but none ever compared to the Oceanic. The service was impeccable, meals delicious and the bands on board were terrific along with the shows. A couple of times I sang in the Passenger Talent show and often would stay to closing hours up in the Club where I'd sing with Rolando and his band.

I learned to play chess on board when I went into the library to get a book and found some of the officers playing chess and asked if they would teac me. I had also met another woman and her friend who was with the Chief Radio Officer Andy and became friends with them. However I did lose contact with them over the years.

I am leaving on November 12, 2012 on a transatlantic trip on board the MSC Poesia and since it's Italian crew, I'm hoping that it will be similar to the Oceanic, although I know that there will never, ever be, a replacement for her. I've been on Celebrity, Pacquet, Costa, Festival cruise lines and found that since I started cruising in 1966, I still enjoy the smaller cruise ships. The Poesia is some 90,000 tons and what I call big - hopefully, my cousin and I will find some interesting people on board.

It was strange to find out the other day that MSC had purchased the Homeric which was a sister ship of the Oceanic and is now sailing as the MSC Melody. It's at least a link, albeit, a very fine one to a wonderful cruise line, Home Lines and the Wonderful Oceanic.

Memories are made and can never be forgotten - long live the Oceanic!!!

I will try and find some of the pictures from my early years on board and add them to this site. :)

Sylvia

It was strange to find out the other day that MSC had purchased the Homeric which was a sister ship of the Oceanic and is now sailing as the MSC Melody. It's at least a link, albeit, a very fine one to a wonderful cruise line, Home Lines and the Wonderful Oceanic.

Sylvia

Sylvia, the MSC Melody was Home Line's Atlantic and the Homeric now sails as Thompson Dream. The Atlantic never matched the style and elegance of Oceanic which is now in China perhaps in the breaker's yard....information from China about her fate has been difficult to obtain.

OP (et al): Folks are always yippin' about how cruise standards have gone "down", and I've posted this on other threads. While going through some cruise memorabilia packed away, I came across a ticket from a 1981 12 day winter Caribbean cruise on the "Oceanic". We paid $30 less pp for that cruise then we paid for a comparable cruise (same timeframe, same # of days, same cabin category) last winter! If the price has remained the same after 30 years obviously, you gotta' be getting less! Too bad the onboard prices (I came across the bar guide with those prices you referred to as well) haven't stayed the same, too! But that's where they make their $$$$$, not on the ticket.

Edited by marco

Sylvia, the MSC Melody was Home Line's Atlantic and the Homeric now sails as Thompson Dream. The Atlantic never matched the style and elegance of Oceanic which is now in China perhaps in the breaker's yard....information from China about her fate has been difficult to obtain.

I really don't think that there will ever be a ship that will ever compare to the Oceanic. When I look back at the pictures of her, I become very sad at the thought of her being sold for scrap. But, my memories will never be lost and will always be there.

Oceanicmyfistlove: I'm sure you will have a wonderful crossing on the "Poesia", however don't expect anything like the former Home Lines. We've sailed MSC a couple of times and enjoyed it very much, but as is the crew on most lines now, the crew is pretty much multi-national. It "kinda' sorta'" has an Italian feeling, but nothing like the old Home Lines or Italian Line. And of course, the way they served on the Oceanic in the dining room is not replicated. Though the service was very good, everything comes pre-plated and not served in the grand manner we were used to on the "Oceanic".

• 2 months later...

There was a recent posting on another Web site with a link to a picture on Google Maps which shows Oceanic being broken up in Zhoushan, Zhejiang, China. A portion of her famous Magrodome can be seen on the shore. It's sad to see her go but she had a long and distinguished career. All ships should be so lucky. The picture can be found here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Zhoushan,+Zhejiang,+China&hl=en&ll=29.941548,122.258247&spn=0.003565,0.004823&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.69072,79.013672&geocode=FauKyQEdjLlI+Bw&hnear=Zhoushan,+Zhejiang,+China&t=h&z=18

• 1 month later...
The Oceanic was my first love and will always be. There is no other like her.

My first trip on her was back in 1966 in September. A girlfriend of mine had a friend who had been on her the previous year and said about the great time they had. So we booked a cruise to Nassau and were suppose to stay in Nassau for a week and were then going to sail back to New York the following week when she returned again. We met a lot of single people on that cruise and were having an absolutely wonderful time and both of us really were wishing were weren't staying in Nassau because of the friends we had made.

The hotel we were to stay in was undergoing renovations which we hadn't been told about, and when we met the group for lunch on the first day of docking, they said we were very quiet. We explained about the hotel and since Home Lines had an office on the Main street of Nassau, we went over and found out that we could come back on the next day before she sailed back to New York. We just had to spend 1 day at this terrible hotel. Well, when we came back the next day, several of the crew met us to welcome us back. What a great group. That started my love affair with the Oceanic.

I took many more trips in the fall of the year and again during the winter months and fell in love with one of the crew. I came to New York often to see him, and was able to stay with a girl I had become friends with on one of my cruises and she would always let me stay with here so I could see Gino when the ship came in for an overnight stay.

I went to visit him in Italy for 6 weeks and fell more in love with him. However, there was no happy ending, as I we had an argument over something that had happened before I met him. But he couldn't forgive me. I just couldn't go back on the Oceanic again. I sailed other lines, but none ever compared to the Oceanic. The service was impeccable, meals delicious and the bands on board were terrific along with the shows. A couple of times I sang in the Passenger Talent show and often would stay to closing hours up in the Club where I'd sing with Rolando and his band.

I learned to play chess on board when I went into the library to get a book and found some of the officers playing chess and asked if they would teac me. I had also met another woman and her friend who was with the Chief Radio Officer Andy and became friends with them. However I did lose contact with them over the years.

I am leaving on November 12, 2012 on a transatlantic trip on board the MSC Poesia and since it's Italian crew, I'm hoping that it will be similar to the Oceanic, although I know that there will never, ever be, a replacement for her. I've been on Celebrity, Pacquet, Costa, Festival cruise lines and found that since I started cruising in 1966, I still enjoy the smaller cruise ships. The Poesia is some 90,000 tons and what I call big - hopefully, my cousin and I will find some interesting people on board.

Memories are made and can never be forgotten - long live the Oceanic!!!

I will try and find some of the pictures from my early years on board and add them to this site. :)

Sylvia

I, too, fell in love with a crew member (Gianfranco Archetti) on the Oceanic. I visited him in NYC, also. We became engaged and were planning to marry.....unfortunately, he had a wife and 2 children in Milan. Still would like to know where he is today, however.

Our First cruise was on the S.S. Oceanic-Home Lines October 11, 1969.

Fare for two was $580 plus $4.00 port tax for a total of $584.00.

New York to Nassau and Freeport.

Food equal to the best restaurants in NYC. Drinks .25 to .60 cents, beer .30 cents, imported beer .35 cents, soda .15 cents.

Service equal to or better than any modern day luxury cruise.

Good old days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't get such a good deal.

$584 in 1969 adjusts to $3,664.40 in 2013 dollars.

Today you can take a cruise for 2 from NYC to Nassau for under $1,000 - and if you shop a bit you get a balcony cabin.

With the $2,664 you still have left over, you can buy plenty drinks and fancy dinners at all the specialty restaurants onboard - and still have money left over when you get home.

Maybe today is the "good old days" of cruising..................

I would take an inside cabin next to the propellers on Oceanic rather than the best suite on one of these monster floating malls of today w/ bad food, miserable crew to passenger ratios & passengers dressed like they are getting their car fixed or headed to the grocery store.......

Home Lines was first rate all around....we sailed on their ships in the 1970- 1980's....

We had so much fun ...all day & night......and people dressed really well - rose to the occasion - teh food was fabulous.

Sorry Bruce - Home Lines(and Sitmar, Italian Lines) may no longer exist - but at least a few of us got to enjoy truly great living at sea.

Todays cruising is just a poor stepchild!!!!!

You didn't get such a good deal.

$584 in 1969 adjusts to $3,664.40 in 2013 dollars.

Today you can take a cruise for 2 from NYC to Nassau for under $1,000 - and if you shop a bit you get a balcony cabin.

With the $2,664 you still have left over, you can buy plenty drinks and fancy dinners at all the specialty restaurants onboard - and still have money left over when you get home.

Maybe today is the "good old days" of cruising..................

I still think that the old days of cruising were the best. Even though you can get "cheap" cruises, nothing can compare to Home Lines' Oceanic. Today, everything that matters is an extra charge. The staterooms are so much smaller - I know my first cabin on the Oceanic was on Atlantic deck and was an inside - but it was huge compared to the inside cabins on today's ships.

The service on the Oceanic was impeccable. So many courses, and so many choices - today - you're fortunate if you can find a lot of choices. Everything is mass produced, no more cherries jubilee at the table, etc.

The fun of travelling on board ship back in the 60s, 70s and even the 80s was the dressing up. I remember going on two week cruises on the Oceanic in February or March and would have 2 big suitcases full of clothing for all of the "Gala" nights. The crew from the cleaners to the officers were all so friendly - always taking time to just say "hello". Today, you're fortunate to even see an officer, yet alone the Captain during a 2 week cruise.

Home Lines will always have a special place in my heart and one that can't be changed. I do sometimes wish I could afford to go on the "higher" priced lines, where there are not as many people and the service is much better than on the cruise ships today - too many people and so many of the crew/staff not trained properly.

Oceanic may no longer sail the seas, but she will always sail in my heart!

Sylvia

I still think that the old days of cruising were the best. Even though you can get "cheap" cruises, nothing can compare to Home Lines' Oceanic. Today, everything that matters is an extra charge. The staterooms are so much smaller - I know my first cabin on the Oceanic was on Atlantic deck and was an inside - but it was huge compared to the inside cabins on today's ships.

The service on the Oceanic was impeccable. So many courses, and so many choices - today - you're fortunate if you can find a lot of choices. Everything is mass produced, no more cherries jubilee at the table, etc.

The fun of travelling on board ship back in the 60s, 70s and even the 80s was the dressing up. I remember going on two week cruises on the Oceanic in February or March and would have 2 big suitcases full of clothing for all of the "Gala" nights. The crew from the cleaners to the officers were all so friendly - always taking time to just say "hello". Today, you're fortunate to even see an officer, yet alone the Captain during a 2 week cruise.

Home Lines will always have a special place in my heart and one that can't be changed. I do sometimes wish I could afford to go on the "higher" priced lines, where there are not as many people and the service is much better than on the cruise ships today - too many people and so many of the crew/staff not trained properly.

Sylvia

I remember her well as we were on the Oceanic for our honeymoon cruise. We got married 3 days after hurricane Gloria and had to out run hurricane hugo on Oceanic. She was a Fine Ship and the food was divine! Those were the days!!!!

Perhaps we were on the same cruise!!!!

while reading your post I recalled sitting by the pools in the afternoon & suddenly the smell of garlic would waft over the deck - the maitr'ds would be making pasta by the pool & we'd be in our bathing suits eating the most delicious pasta - only to do it again at dinner!!!!(along w/ all the other faboo food). People that never experienced those days just do not understand....not even lines like Seabourn, Regent can match those experiences.....and the officers & crew were delicious in all possible ways!!!

http://worldshipny.com/pdfs/PORTHOLE_JANUARY_2013.pdf This newsletter has a piece on the Oceanic's history & pics of her Italian Hall(oh the fun in that room...cha cha cha) and of the pools...

Sylvia

Edited by Rotterdam