Salmon served on the Westerdam to AK

kruskat

Yes, call me a dreamer, I like that.....:)

I was hoping, perhaps HAL being based in SEA and sailing to AK might have negotiated a deal for wild salmon. FYI: All "wild" salmon doesn't sell for Copper River salmon prices of $16.00 + in all areas of the country particularly on the west coast.

What is going on, all I read on these boards is the cruises they serve lots of salmon everyday. What ever happen to Alaskan king crab, aren't they from Alaska too? I am sure salmon is a very low cost item there, but the crab must be expensive there, just like here at home. I will be very sad if I do not get enough alaskan king crab when I sail.:eek:

HAL's salmon grill on the Lido pool deck is an event that I look forward to.

The meal is served as a buffet will large grills and buffet tables around the lido pool. It's usually a lunch event and the food is great.

On our rt transatlantic they had a salmon grill near Iceland. They substitued arctic char which is a near cousin to salmon, paler but more more flavorful. It was great.

GN

Yes, call me a dreamer, I like that.....:)

I was hoping, perhaps HAL being based in SEA and sailing to AK might have negotiated a deal for wild salmon. FYI: All "wild" salmon doesn't sell for Copper River salmon prices of $16.00 + in all areas of the country particularly on the west coast.

I am sure there are a few places that sell it a little less, it's like gas: we are still slightly under $3.00 per gallon, but whateve the price wild salmon is expensive. I doubt it is much less in Seattle than most other places. Look at Avacados: they are about the same price in Calif as here. You would think things would be much cheaper where they are harvested but that isn't always the way it works. NMNita

Born in Alaska, currently living in SEA, cancer patient that does not eat farm raised salmon (Atlantic) fed to grow five times larger than normal according to a news report, higher in PCB's and has gray flesh dyed to be pink.

I know Copper River was more expensive this year and was selling for $7.99 in Costco (whole fish) but was probably three times more in the stores. Wild salmon is around $5.60 to 6.60 lb. at the local grocery store now and sometimes it is less. Costco is selling fillets at $6.99 and if they get the same fish this weekend it will be $4.99 for the whole fish.

Just wondered if, perhaps, the cruise lines had negotiated some sort deal for the AK market and they serve wild fish. Does anyone know?

Unfortunately, Alaska King Crab seems to be expensive where ever you are. When I was in Homer several years ago, they said the King Crab had been fished out of the area and they were having a hard time getting it back. Don't know what the situation is today but it was sure expensive back then?

The dreamer, still dreaming.... :)

Archived