Anything to do near Le Havre, France?

Our ship docks at Le Havre, France next April and we do not plan to take the ship's tour into Paris. (We've heard it is alot of time on a bus, coming and going, and we've already been to Paris for a week years ago). Are there any small towns worth visiting in or around Le Havre? Would Appreciate any suggestions you can give. We'll be in port from 7 AM to 10 PM. Thanks.

lehavre itself has little to offer; it's center was demolished during WW2 and the replacement is just plain ugly postwar grey concrete. across the mouth of the seine is a very old, historical town called honfleur - lots of cobblestone streets and timbered buildings in the center and good restaurants; ships usually offer tours but it is reachable by car - or perhaps cab - across the new pont d'normandie. also from lehavre you could go to bayeux, caen and the battlefields of WW2 or even rouen, but rouen is 1/2 way to paris. suggest you do come googling on france - normandy and some of the places I have mentioned.:)

We rented a car and drove to Honfleur, Rouen and Deauville. We shared the drive and the cost with another couple. I heard that there is a train that goes to Honfluer... a charming little town. I don't have any idea how far the train station is from where the ship docks.

Sandy

I was wondering the same thing. I will dock in LeHavre next April too. I will be on the transatlantic Norwegian repositioning cruise out of Houston. I have read the LeHavre posts and am concerned about the time it takes to get to Paris but it probably is a one time thing for me so I may go for it. I would take the ships tour because I am solo and get lost easy. We will be docked for 12 hours. I also would be concerned making it back since it is so far. A simple city tour with lunch would be OK with me although I wouldn't mind seeing Versailles Palace. The excursions haven't been posted yet for my cruise so I will wait and see.:cool:

Hi, If you SEARCH THIS FORUM with eg Le Havre/Honfleur/Rouen etc and/or look through previous posts you will find lots of info as this has been asked many times. Heres what I posted just 3 weeks ago on another request for info on Le Havre. Hope it answers all your questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We docked in Le Havre last Sept overnight and just last week for one day.

In Sept we docked early afternoon and went to Honfleur. The following (longer) day we went to Rouen.

last week we had only one day and we went to Etretat (Alabaster coast)then did some sightseeing in Le Havre.

In Le Havre the bus and train stations are side by side. Taxis at the dock offering taxi tours or its €8 to either bus or train station.

You can go to Honfleur by bus (approx 20 mins) and also to Etretat (1hour)and Fecamp (a further 1/2 hour). No train to Honfleur or Etretat, limited trains to Fecamp. Trains to Rouen, approx 50 mins.

Public transport fairly inexpensive. We paid only €7-40 per person return to/from Le Havre and Etretat. I think (but cannot remember exactly) its approx €11 per person to/from Le Havre and Honfleur. The train fares to Rouen can be found on the sncf website, together with timetables.

The Honfleur timetable is online, but the Etretat/Fecamp one is not. The LH Tourist Office sent me bus times by email then posted an actual timetable to our home before we left. I still have this.

I can recommend all 3 of these places. Normandy is lovely. The more we see of it the more we like it. And LH itself throws up some surprises. We saw a lot of it on the route we took through town towards Etretat and got off in the town centre on our return, instead of at the terminus at the bus station. Some lovely parks and gardens, interesting monuments, shopping and a long beach, complete with rows and rows of beach huts, restaurants, promenade, marina etc. Right now theres an arts festival on so theres lots of arty stuff on display in the streets and parks. On our previous trip last Sept we headed soth to Honfleur and east to Rouen so did not see LH itself. The bus ride to Etretat went off and on the main road as we drove into small villages and towns along the way. By car or taxi its likely you will stay on the main road and go there directly.

The LH Tourist Board is right next to the dock in hangar 12. The taxi tours are also there. The Tourist board has a list of agreed fares for taxi tours so its likely all will charge the same price. I have the sheet with current prices and will post some here. Depends whether you are up to 4 persons in a standard 5 seater (plus driver) or in a larger people mover type of vehicle which seats 5 or 6 passengers plus driver.

quote.gif quickreply.gif

edinburgherView Public ProfileFind all posts by edinburgherAdd edinburgher to Your Buddy List

#

post_old.gif June 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM

edinburgher user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_6885917", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

First price is for 1 to 4 persons, second for 5/6 persons.

Les charmes de la Normande €310/375 8 hours.

Honfleur €110/130 3 hours.

Route des Abbayes and Rouen €270/320 7 hours.

Giverny €310/375 7 hours.

La Cote d'Albatre and Benedictine Abbey (Etretat/Fecamp) €155/190 4 hours.

La Cote fleurie €210/250 6 hours.

Les plages de debarquement (Normany beaches) €395/465 8 hours

There are some others too, including Paris and Le Havre itself, but did not list these. They also say they can do any itinerary anyone would like but you need to get a quote for this.

Conditions apply.

No entry fees included in the above prices. Nor lunches or anything else.

Any extra time and cost to be agreed with driver.

These are 2006 prices. Hope someone finds them useful.

I went with a few other passengers from our ship using a taxi (van) from the port to Honfleur, Deauville, and Treauville (sp?). It was a great day, and the price was very reasonable (I think about 60 Euros each). I highly recommend these villages.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I posted this on our Roll Call for Century 9/2/05

Le Havre – Monday Sept 4

Most cruisers will take the ships tours to Paris which I recommend rather than doing it on your own. I am covering the alternate transportation here for private tours or doing it on your own. I am not covering Paris only the country side around Le Havre although some of these tour companies will take you to Paris also. Note: Monet’s Giverny is closed on Mondays so I did not include info about it.

Tour Companies in L.H:

http://www.taxis-le-havre.com

http://www.minibus-tours.com/index.html

http://www.handmaidtours.com

http://www.normandytoursbeachmasters,com

http://www.cpmac.com/~cmcgarry/normandy/normandy.php3

http://www.frenchadventures.com/index.html

http://www.normandy-tourism.org/gb/index.asp

http://www.webscapades.com/france/no...egion-page.htm

Things to see and do:

Rouen: The capital of Normandy, Rouen is a centre of industry and commerce; it is the fifth largest port in France and the closest one to Paris, split, like that city, into a right and left bank area by the River Seine. Rouen is also one of France’s most historic cities

The great Cathédrale Notre-Dame, immortalised by Monet, remained fairly unscathed and is well worth a visit for its wonderful stonework

Honflur: escaped the bombs of World War II, and feels as picturesque as it looks.

St. Catherine Church (Eglise Ste. Catherine) —built by a community of sailors and fishermen in a region with plenty of boatbuilders and no cathedral architects. The church is free; the tower — a tiny museum with a few church artifacts — is not worth the €2 (tower and church open daily 9:00–18:30 in summer, off-season 9:00–12:00 & 14:00–18:00).

Eugène Boudin Museum — This pleasant, airy museum houses three interesting floors of exhibits: first floor — Norman folk costumes; second floor — the Boudin collection; and third floor — the Hambourg and Rachet collection. Pick up a map at the ticket counter.

Cost and Hours: €5, mid-March–Sept Wed–Mon 10:00–12:00 & 14:00–18:00;

Maisons Satie — The museum, housed in composer Erik Satie’s birthplace, (€5, Wed-Mon May–Sept 10:00–19:00, 5-min walk from harbor at 67 boulevard Charles V).

& 14:30–18:30; Oct-mid-Nov Sat-Sun 10:00–12:00 & 14:00–18:00 and weekday afternoons only, closed on Mon; ask for English explanation pages).

Bayeux:

Bayeux Tapestry - The tapestry tells the story of William the Conqueror’s rise from duke of Normandy to king of England and shows his victory over Harold at the Battle of Hastings. Cost and Hours: €7.40 includes audioguide, daily mid-March–mid-Oct 9:00–18:30, 50). Arrive by 9:00 or late in the day to avoid crowds.

Normandy Beaches: The invasion to liberate northwest Europe began on June 6, 1944. The Normandy beaches were chosen by planners because they lay within range of air cover, and were less heavily defended. D-day landing beaches are UTAH BEACH, OMAHA BEACH, GOLD BEACH, JUNO BEACH, SWORD BEACH, see the American Cemetery

Cavados Route:

French make both cider and an apple brandy called Calvados in Normandy. The cider is only about 3 percent alcohol, and is like a sweet beer. The Calvados is very strong. http://www.calvados-tourisme.com/Loi.../route5_gb.asp

We are renting a car from Hertz and touring on our own from Honflur to the Cider Route. If you want more info I can send it to you - just post your email.

francne

• 2 weeks later...
We are renting a car from Hertz and touring on our own from Honflur to the Cider Route. If you want more info I can send it to you - just post your email.
Hi Francine - yes please I would appreciate more info if you have it handy. Thanks! -Roger-

Email: rssfromsf @ hotmail.com

[no spaces in above address]

• 10 months later...
Le Havre:

Our 1st stop was Cambermer looking for the tourist office, which never opened. Cambermer has wooden people all over town, in the bell tower, painting, showing directions. Very Cute plus cats (statues on roofs) I guess to scare away the birds.

We found the Chamber of Calvados and they directed us to a Calvados House, Calvados Pierre Huet. We tasted the Calvados and Apple cider, Pat bought a Calvados sampler, we picked up a map listing the places we could taste Formage and Calvados. So off we went

following the map we thought. Well we wound up back in Cambermer while trying to find JA Motte a place for Formage de Chevre. We gave up the hunt and proceeded to Livarot. Passing through Lisieux we spotted the Cathedral of St. Pierre. Just outside of Lisieux we found the Village de Formage, the tours were closed for lunch but the shop was open so we tasted and bought some Livarot & Camembert Cheese. We asked about places to have lunch and the women directed us to Vimoutiers, as on Mondays most places are closed, but Vimoutiers has their street market on Monday, so most places would be open. We drove there and found a very local restaurant to enjoy lunch and afterward a Pastries for éclairs.

We went back to the Village and took the tour, very interesting, learning about the Cows and how to make cheese. Afterward we drove to Deauville and Trouville on the coast.

They are very modern vacation resorts and we just stopped long enough to take a few pictures and continued on to Honfleur. We stopped and walked around, what a delightful Harbor town We enjoyed a stop for wine and beer and then met KC & Joscelyne for our return to le Havre. Returned the car and got a taxi back to the Ship. Since it was a late departure the Century had a dinner buffet open in the Islands Café which we enjoyed.

Since the next day was going to be at sea we stayed up later and enjoyed the Martini Bar.(Quote)

It was really easy getting to Hertz by cab, picking up the car and driving

all over - We loved Honfleur and would go back there.

the country side was very beautiful and it was easy driving on the back roads.

Francine

I would offer the following advice for anyone wanting to rent a car (we do this every time we are in LeHavre). Reserve your car on-line before you leave home (on our last trip this past May the best prices were from Budget). You will probably need a taxi to get you to your rental car dealer (5 - 10 min ride). If you have 4 its a really good deal (also good for just 2). It generally costs about $100 (for the rental and gas) to have a car for a full day (Budget charged us 64.50 Euros for a small economy car) and when you divide this 4 ways you are talking about $25 per person for a full day tour. The roads are good and the direction signs are fine once you leave LeHarvre, but make sure you have a decent map and have a good idea how to get back to your rental car dealer. Budget closed at 6pm, but for those of wanted to keep their car late (we did not sail until 10 pm) they would give you instructions on where to park the car and drop the keys afterhours (they had a key slot).

Hank

Our ship docks at Le Havre, France next April and we do not plan to take the ship's tour into Paris. (We've heard it is alot of time on a bus, coming and going, and we've already been to Paris for a week years ago). Are there any small towns worth visiting in or around Le Havre? Would Appreciate any suggestions you can give. We'll be in port from 7 AM to 10 PM. Thanks.

I agree with all GramaFran,Honflueur,no 20 or 50 bus,nice short trip,or the Local train ,(a 10 min walk from the ship to cental station),50 mins to Rouen, Joan of Arc city.

Last year we went by train to Monet,s garden at Giverny,bit of a trip ,but where it.

This year Sept,go back to Rouen,nice city

But not the ships trip to Paris.to far

• 4 weeks later...

Hank, I would add if returning after the office closes keep your gas receipt when you filled up before returning. We had to prove it a month later when they wanted to charge us for the gas.

Marge

I would offer the following advice for anyone wanting to rent a car (we do this every time we are in LeHavre). Reserve your car on-line before you leave home (on our last trip this past May the best prices were from Budget). You will probably need a taxi to get you to your rental car dealer (5 - 10 min ride). If you have 4 its a really good deal (also good for just 2). It generally costs about $100 (for the rental and gas) to have a car for a full day (Budget charged us 64.50 Euros for a small economy car) and when you divide this 4 ways you are talking about $25 per person for a full day tour. The roads are good and the direction signs are fine once you leave LeHarvre, but make sure you have a decent map and have a good idea how to get back to your rental car dealer. Budget closed at 6pm, but for those of wanted to keep their car late (we did not sail until 10 pm) they would give you instructions on where to park the car and drop the keys afterhours (they had a key slot).

Hank

Good advice Marge. Another idea is to take some digital photos of the car (from each side) with the rental car office in the background in case they try to say you damaged the car. These kind of problems are not the norm, but they happen enough that everyone should be cautious.

Hank

We rented a car from Avis in June to go the the beaches of Normandy. It was 87 euros for the day. Things to be aware of...the ship shuttle doesn't drop you anywhere near to the train station where you have to pick up the car. Also the shuttle driver couldn't speak English, so he was no help. You would be better off taking a taxi from the ship. We wandered around looking for the train station and finally found a taxi to take us there. The man at the Avis counter didn't speak much English and wasn't any help with directions (or anything else).

I printed directions from the Michelin website and Mapquest....they seemed self explanatory until we were actually driving. It was a nightmare finding our way back to Le Havre. All in all, we had a really wonderful day in spite of the language barriers and getting lost upteen times!:D

Ajpack, You are right about the taxi. We simply grabbed a taxi at the pier and went right to Budget (cost about $12). It makes no sense to pay $10 for the shuttle (2 persons) to take you to a different location than the rental car dealer. We really love having our own car in Europe as it gives us a lot of flexibility at a much lower cost than tours or private cars/drivers. We generally figure it costs about $100 for us to have a car for a full day, and we sometimes will take another couple which really reduces the per person cost. I know its not for everyone, but I would no sooner use a tour in western Europe than in the USA.

Hank

Great suggestions! We are looking at renting a car and driving out to Normany. Would be nice if we find another couple to go with us. Will see what my fellow CCer's on our roll call are doing.

I can't rmember, do they drive on the left or right in France? Haven't been there since 87. Doesn't really matter, just curious. Only problem looming is the stick shift. Haven't driven one in lots of years!

They drive on the right everywhere in Western Europe. The left is reserved for the Brits and the Irish. Stick shifts are still the transmission of choice and you generally pay a hefty premium if you want an automatic.

Hank

When are you using the bus to go to Honfleur? We aill be in Le Havre on Sept. 28 and want to take the bus there also. So can you please give me feedback on how the trip went.

How did you get to the bus stn. from the dock?

How often do the buses run?

How much are the tickets?

How long was the ride?

How long did you stay in Honfleur? Any suggestions for things not to miss?

Any other info.?

Thanks alot,

Joanne

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some info that may help you.

Check first at the TI office at the pier. They will have the bus schedule, so you can plan your day.

You will need a taxi to the bus/train station, cost about 8 euros. Do NOT buy the Princess ship's shuttle ticket. The shuttle goes to the other end of town from the station.

Bus trip is about 20-30 min

At Honfleur, stop at the TI office (near the bus station, heading towards Vieux Bassin). They will have all the information you need, including an excellent walking map. Plenty to do in the town - several interesting museums, striking churches, and shops/restaurants galore. Our favorite was a hand-made shoe/cobbler's shop named L'Indiana - two weeks earlier we had attended our daughter's Freshman Orientation at Indiana Univ.

Honfleur was one of our favorite stops.

Archived