Anything to do near Le Havre, France?

• 2 weeks later...

We had Canadian friends now living in France pick us up and take us to Dieppe where we visited the Canadian monument and had a charming beachfront lunch. It was an interesting place, best though for Canadians and for those who have already seen Honfleur and Normandy beaches and other places one might go from LeHavre and are looking for something new and different. The focal point of our trip was the visit with our friends.

The roads were good, clearly marked, and if there is time, renting a car would be a great way to see France. For example, we stopped at a store that was a cross between Home Depot & Bed Bath & Beyond and bought hooks for our kitchen. I could have gone crazy if I had room in my luggage. The downside - you had to speak French - the upside - we were the only tourists in the shop.

How often do the buses run?

How much are the tickets?

How long was the ride?

All that information can be found on the website of the regional bus company for Normandy--in particular, via the following page:

http://www.busverts.fr/_hiver/horaires.asp?communes=LE%20HAVRE

There are four useful timetables in pdf files that you can access by clicking on "Telecharger" on the right-hand side of the page. They're in French, of course, but easily decipherable.

I believe the one-way fare is 4 euros. (Click on "Les Tarifs" at the top of the page for more information.)

Our ship docks at Le Havre, France next April and we do not plan to take the ship's tour into Paris. (We've heard it is alot of time on a bus, coming and going, and we've already been to Paris for a week years ago). Are there any small towns worth visiting in or around Le Havre? Would Appreciate any suggestions you can give. We'll be in port from 7 AM to 10 PM. Thanks.

Choose2Cruise:

Thought I'd add our recent experience touring around Le Havre on September 1st which proved to be a delightful day.

While we were not inclined to rent a car, we did self-design a drive/tour with the assistance of a terrific, experienced driver we were put in touch with as a result of an email enquery to lehavretourisme.com. He spoke excellent english and fine tuned, made suggestions & lunch reservations to our very vague initial request of: "a visit to Omaha Beach, a pretty drive along the cider route, 1-2 pretty Normandy towns & a relaxed french lunch" into the following itinerary:

We left Le Havre and used motorway West initially then digressed, stopping to see/climb the well-preserved German pillboxes at Longues-sur-Mer and then went on to see the

amazing remnants of the "temporary harbor/breakwater" floated over the Channel and placed at Arromanches to receive the subsequent support equipment following the invastion. Next we went to visit the American Cemetary & Omaha Beach. We thought the new film there was excellent. A most moving visit/experience.

Next, we dropped down on country roads (SE, I believe) and visited an extraordinarily lovely small town called Beuvron-en-Auge. About 40 unique timber houses/stores surround a central square, amazing flowers everywhere, multiple shops,cafes with sidewalk seating, etc. We ate at the Pave D'Auge which sits in the middle. Only a few tourists.....almost ALL French. ( It may well be worth your while as you plan your route. You can get a good idea if you google it) We then proceeded (NE, I believe) and spent some time in Honfluer and despite the fact this pretty town was wall-to-wall tourists on this sunny Saturday, we loved it.

Left ship at 7:30am-back by 3:30pm.

Given your extended port stay, Deauville & Trouville would both be fairly nearby & doable along this general route........both of which our driver mentioned were more modern seaside resorts, well liked and frequented.

We loved this day. Enjoy yours!

Martha

How long does it take to get from lehavre to paris...??

It depends how and when! I can drive it in about 2:15 unless its rush hour. The tour buses take 2 1/2 - 3 hours depending on traffic and if they make a stop enroute. Trains take about 2 to 2:45 depending whether you get a direct or have to change. This has long been the dilemma of the LeHavre port. The round trip to Paris can take up to 6 hours which is an awful lot of travel to get about 6 or 7 hours in Paris. If you have never been to Paris its certainly worthwhile to see the city.

Hank

ajpack - Thanks for the up to date info. I think we'll take the bus to Honfleur.

Just come back from Jewel of the seas and missed the bus from Le Havre to Honfleur by a few minutes and the next was not for 2 hours so we jumped on the train to Rouen as stated bus and trains are side by side.

A wonderful day was had by all, saw lots of medievel buildings and Joan of Arc sites.Great pedestrianised town centre.

Ask for cheapest fare at station and she gave us a Senior discount.

Do not forget to validate train tickets before getting on train!

• 2 weeks later...
Just come back from Jewel of the seas and missed the bus from Le Havre to Honfleur by a few minutes and the next was not for 2 hours so we jumped on the train to Rouen as stated bus and trains are side by side.

A wonderful day was had by all, saw lots of medievel buildings and Joan of Arc sites.Great pedestrianised town centre.

My kind of travelers in that you keep your plans flexible and adjusted to the situation. But your experience points out why we love to rent cars in many European ports. Although many of us post info about how to do things on the trains and buses, its often forgotten that you can waste hours making connections, waiting for late trains, buses, etc. As an example, our a recent cruise visit to LeHavre we rented a car from Budget and drove to Honfleur for some Cappucino. Than we drove over to Deuville and decided we would prefer having lunch in the more romantic atmosphere of Honfleur, so we drove back (takes about 15 minutes) and had a great lunch (fresh mussels). After lunch we still had a lot of time (our ship did not leave until 10 pm) so we decided to drive all the way up to Etretat and Fecamp and than back to Lehavre where we dropped the car at about 6. Total cost of that rental car was $70 + another $25 for gas and another $25 for taxis to and from Budget , so our full day "tour" cost us $115 for two plus the cost of food. It was a great day and could not have possibly been duplicated by public transit or any tour offered by the cruise line (a private car/driver would have achieved the same result...but at a far greater cost).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Car Rentals:

AVIS

EUROPCAR

NATIONAL

are located at the waterfront towards the LD Lines Ferry Terminal

Walking time about 25-30 minutes from cruise-terminal.

But check with them if they deliver.

Some impressions from Honfleur from yesterday:

2007Honfl01-vi.jpg

2007Honfl02-vi.jpg

2007Honfl03-vi.jpg

2007Honfl04-vi.jpg

another option would be Rouen:

2007Rouen01-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

Thank you for the beautiful pics. I have not been to Honfleur for yrs and have been trying to convince my dh for the Jewel of the Seas British Isles trip 6/16-27/2008. I am certain these photos will help. I think he is afraid that I will drag him to Paris...however, I would never spoil a trip to Paris by going for just one day!!! ;-)

Do you have a photo album available with a British Isles photos?

Margie

HeinBloed,

Thank you for the beautiful pics. I have not been to Honfleur for yrs and have been trying to convince my dh for the Jewel of the Seas British Isles trip 6/16-27/2008. I am certain these photos will help. I think he is afraid that I will drag him to Paris...however, I would never spoil a trip to Paris by going for just one day!!! ;-)

Do you have a photo album available with a British Isles photos?

Margie

• 1 month later...
I would offer the following advice for anyone wanting to rent a car (we do this every time we are in LeHavre). Reserve your car on-line before you leave home (on our last trip this past May the best prices were from Budget). You will probably need a taxi to get you to your rental car dealer (5 - 10 min ride). If you have 4 its a really good deal (also good for just 2). It generally costs about $100 (for the rental and gas) to have a car for a full day (Budget charged us 64.50 Euros for a small economy car) and when you divide this 4 ways you are talking about $25 per person for a full day tour. The roads are good and the direction signs are fine once you leave LeHarvre, but make sure you have a decent map and have a good idea how to get back to your rental car dealer. Budget closed at 6pm, but for those of wanted to keep their car late (we did not sail until 10 pm) they would give you instructions on where to park the car and drop the keys afterhours (they had a key slot).

Hank

Noticed your email. And location (we are from Pittburgh) Where did you end up going by car. Do we need to get a special license to drive in France

Is it difficult to get around?

I would say no: but I speak French and I find signage very clear.

If you go to Honfleur have some Euro with you as there is a toll bridge.

Also if you are going toward Paris Highway you need a credit card (CB/Carte Bancaire-Line) to pay the toll.

Where would you suggest going?

Beside Honfleur - check here in this forum for Giverny...

Do you need aspecial license?

No - a valid US-License is fine for temporary use in Europe.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 months later...

I don't know if you still get posts but that's the only way to travel. So much can mess up your plans. We will be on the RCL Jewel transatlantic was this also true for your folks: from "pscheer" post.

"You will need a taxi to the bus/train station, cost about 8 euros. Do NOT buy the Princess ship's shuttle ticket. The shuttle goes to the other end of town from the station"

Marge

Archived