2Ports...

Cotton

OK...It was Commander's Palace. I worked with Emeril when he was there, and later w/the fantastic Jamie Shannon before he passed away. GREAT experience working for the Brennans.:)

In order to make this posting "cruise-related" ... It amazes me to read some of the thoughts of cruisers who think cruise food is 5-star. I thoroughly enjoy the dining room food, but I'd say maybe at the most, it's 3-star.

OK...It was Commander's Palace. I worked with Emeril when he was there, and later w/the fantastic Jamie Shannon before he passed away. GREAT experience working for the Brennans.:)

In order to make this posting "cruise-related" ... It amazes me to read some of the thoughts of cruisers who think cruise food is 5-star. I thoroughly enjoy the dining room food, but I'd say maybe at the most, it's 3-star.

I find it fascinating to learn that you are a chef. I just learned that on another thread the other day.

I agree... definitely not 5 star! I enjoy it as well, but I'd go with 3 star as well!! Supper club, I'd give 4+

:D Well, I thought it would be easier for 2Ports to see my answer in a new thread.....but looks like he's gone-gone.:D

You mentioned you had a daughter out in Calif. Did she take after her mom in the restaurant business?

Guess I have never had 5 star... what is Morton's... 4 star? They burn a mean steak.

The supper club on Valor was fantastic. The service alone was worth it... with that kind of service I would have paid $30 to dine on a Slim Jim.

You mentioned you had a daughter out in Calif. Did she take after her mom in the restaurant business?

Well... sorta. She's been managing a restaurant in Marina del Rey for about eight years. She can boil a mean pot of water, and that's about the extent of her culinary skills.:D

All three of my children have gone on cruises, and none of them were impressed with the food, or with cruising in general. Are we sure these are MY kids?:eek:

Guess I have never had 5 star... what is Morton's... 4 star? They burn a mean steak.

The supper club on Valor was fantastic. The service alone was worth it... with that kind of service I would have paid $30 to dine on a Slim Jim.

There aren't THAT many 5 star restaurants in the US... depending on which rating system you go by. If you go by the Mobil guide, there are I believe 13 or 14 in the US. I believe Zagat has more... Now, there are so many rating systems in place, and there are many that claim to be 5 star, but as far as the actual ratings go, there aren't 5 star restaurants on every corner... It takes alot to get that rating. Even Commander's Palace, which is one of the best restaurants I have eaten at, is a 4 diamond with AAA and 3 star with Mobil, so you can imagine what it takes to get the 5 stars!!!!!

The mere mention of Brennan's starts my mouth watering. I had probably the best meal of my life in New Orleans back in 1972. A Chateau Briand to die for. Funny how one meal can make such an impression that it lasts a lifetime.:)

As far as cruise ship food goes. I would rate it as great banquet for the most part. Having spent most of my life eating rubber chicken and over cooked prime rib almost every week end at one banquet or another I can truly appreciate the efforts done by the chefs and cooks on the various cruise ships. I always give a good chef a tip of my hat as I feel it is one of the most under appreciated amd thankless jobs on the planet.:)

The best restaurant I have ever gone to, with exceptional service and food (and price) is Tchoup Chop (Emerils) at Universal Studios in Orlando. If you are crusing and spending some time in the area before of after, this is a MUST! I spent six years as food & beverage director at a country club and really, really appreciate service; not to mention food and presentation to die for!

Bonnie

I live where there is not much choice in fine dinning. Morgan Freeman has a gormet resterant in my home town but everyone i have talked to about going there say be sure to have a backup meal for afterwards cause it is good but not very filling. The best meals I have ever had were on the crusies I have taken. But I will tell you I do not beleive I have really missed that much as my wife is about a good as cook as I have seen and I carry the storage areal around to prove it. Cotton I have said it once and I will say it again Wished I had had the chance to check you out...Still want to check Emeril out and I want to check out paula dean someday...

Have a great day.....ez

EZ - I've been to Madidi twice, great food! I had the Shrimp & Grits, probably the best I've tasted anywhere. The other time it was roasted duck with caramelized apples. They put a French twist on typical southern foods. The menu has some pricey items, but well worth it. Then we went on down to his Ground Zero night club. What fun. As it happened, Morgan walked in and we played a game of pool. A fantastic visit to Clarksdale.:)

The best restaurant I have ever gone to, with exceptional service and food (and price) is Tchoup Chop (Emerils) at Universal Studios in Orlando. If you are crusing and spending some time in the area before of after, this is a MUST! I spent six years as food & beverage director at a country club and really, really appreciate service; not to mention food and presentation to die for!

Bonnie

I agree...tchoup chop is the best...i've ate there twice.

Aww, Pete. Hang on, and I'll run on up and make you some Grillades and grits or Eggs Sardou - a few beignets on the side?:D

SOLD! But please excuse this northerner, who puts suger in his grits. :eek:

ahhhh... Nice. :)

Haven't even been to N.O. (one of these days, though). I know a lot of the hard core foodie types like to dump on Emeril, but I like him enough. I dined at one of his places in Las Vegas last year (Emeril's Fish House at the MGM Grand). A group of 10 of use had the chef's table. 6 or 7 courses. a different wine with each. We had a grand time. It was very good.

I agree that the cruise food can be good, (they do a pretty fine job considering the circumstances) but it doesn't even come close to really good fine dining places on land. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who say it's "5 star" probably haven't been in a "5 star" or even something approaching "5 star".

Y'all just sorta dissapeared on me - couldn't log on for about three days there - jammed up 'cause of the Crown P thing. It had all vanished when I got back. Thanks, zydecocruiser! I thought Cotton was just being coy (or private) and didn't want to bug her. Emeril...cool. One of my all time faves. He had a place just up the road from us (ok a few miles) in Pass before Katrina. Got to meet & interact w/ him a TAD while working on the new theater project w/ Tonya over @ Lynn Meadows. That one's on hold too. (bad weather again:( ) Got invited to his house for dinner, but had a show on the east coast that week - grrrrr:mad: . Ooops, cruising...uh, say, Cotton, I noticed that you'll have a much better view of the ships at the new terminal than me, even though we're almost exactly the same distance away from the port. BTW, another one of my many cousins lived justa block or two east of you - Harry Hewes.

Archived