Formal Nights

I read this board a lot, but it sometimes makes me feel so sad that people are just afraid to dress up nowadays.

We pay a lot of money to cruise - why not make it a really special occasion and dress to the nines for formal nights?

On previous cruises I've worn very fancy calf length cocktail dresses, but was always a little envious of the ladies with the long formal gowns. This year I've bought two fabulous gowns and intend to go all out on formal nights.

My husband always wears a tux (sometimes black jacket, sometimes white) and he looks fabulous. Husbands/partners should dress appropriately to support their ladies - and the formal photos will be amazing!

I do hope "dressing down" doesn't become the norm - I've even seen guests at weddings who came looking like they were visiting a supermarket! I just love dressing up for every appropriate occasion. :)

I see why some people don't want to dress up though. I have a problem with my weight yo-yoing back and forth. I can't afford to have a bunch of clothes for all shapes and sizes that I go through.

That being said I do have a suit that I wear for formal nights and enjoy immensely. But to each his own.

Star, I understand your feelings on this --- but everyone does not share those feelings. I'm kind of iffy on it - I like to see my husband dressed up, he is so incredibly sexy (as are all men!) when he dresses up --- but on the other hand, dragging all the dress clothes on an airplane just to wear them for two evenings, is a pain in the butt to me. But, since I really, really don't like to have dinner in the buffet, I do pack formalwear.

There are a lot of people (my beloved dad, for one) who so hates to wear a tie and jacket that he simply will not cruise (or go anywhere else that he has to dress up - aside from the obligatory weddings and funerals). Some very wonderful people just detest dressing up, feel uncomfortable and stiff, whatever.

I have to admit, a pair of roomy shorts, a tee shirt, and flip flops are more comfy than an underwire bra, spanxy, pantyhose, and heels. Beauty has its price.

Archived