lax port

daybreakbds

daybreakbds,

In May this year we took the super shuttle from LAX to a hotel that was probably 1/4 mile(maybe 1/2 mile) from the ship at the world port center in los angeles. It cost $32.00 for 2 of us. You can call super shuttle and they will be able to give you a pretty good estimate. I don't have their number but do a search for super shuttle or the lax airport and it should pop up. Someone on this board before May mentioned that sometimes taxis are cheaper, but they also said if there is a hold up in traffic you would end up paying more. This was the first time we took a super shuttle. There were also other shuttles but I don't remember the names. You just go out to the island for shuttles as you leave the airport.

One of the benefits of the Prime Time or Super Shuttle is that they go right into the Fast lane, bypassing a lot of traffic. It's about a 1/2 hour drive without a lot of traffic.

I took the Prime Time Shuttle from LAX to San Pedro in May and was able to make the reservation online. When I got to the airport, I just had to find the Prime Time station and was put on the next shuttle. I will say that I saw about four Super Shuttles to every Prime Time shuttle so I'd be tempted to go with them instead of Prime Time.

We are booked on the 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Island Princess in the spring of 2005. Since we have to fly across the country (from Va. to La.) we are planning on flying out the day before departure. We will be booking our own air.

Can anyone give us information on a place to stay (not too expensive if possible)? Is it best to stay near the airport or near the port? Does any hotel offer free shuttle to the port from the hotel?

Thank you all for any help or advice you can give us.

Dixie,

There are several hotels right nearby the port and I would recommend staying at the port rather than at the airport -- it makes for a much less stressful embarkation day.

I stayed at the Best Western which was cheap ($69/nite at the AAA price) and had a free shuttle to the port. There's an informal and inexpensive restaurant right next door to that which was great. I think it was called "The Grinder" but it had everything from salads to steaks. The Best Western wasn't the greatest but it was cheap, clean and convenient. It's also probably the closest hotel to the port which is only about 5 - 10 minutes away. Some people with rooms above mine watched the ship docking in the AM.

You can probably find something cheaper by going through Priceline. But overall, I would recommend taking a shuttle such as Super Shuttle or PrimeTime Shuttle ($15/pp) to the hotel, staying over in San Pedro and then going directly to the ship.

As an FYI, if I were in the LA area (which I will be moving to next year), I'd actually go back to The Grinder restaurant. I had the best chef's salad I've ever had and it was under $12 with tax and tip. The people were very friendly and nice.

The Best Western is a bit of a dump with a tiny lobby but the room was fine, I slept like a log, and the shuttle starts going over to the ship at 10AM. They make several trips and take about 8 - 10 people over at a time.

Thank you all for the information. The Best Western sounds like it will work out fine for us. As long as it is clean we don't care about elegant, we will have that on the ship. And it's great to know that there is a free shuttle over to the ship!

There is all sorts of valuable information on these boards. I am so glad that we discovered it several years ago. We have gotten help and information about all of our cruises and have tried to share our knowledge with others as well.

Thanks again!

We stayed at the Best Western Sunrise Hotel, the lobby is small, but who stays in the lobby. Our room was big and we paid $51.80 plus taxes. Got the rate on the Best Western site I believe. There was a refrigerator in the room and they have a continental type breakfast downstairs. Across the street is a Maritime Museum and also a short way North of the Museum is "Acapulco Restaurant" They have great margaritas and half price appetizers along with some free hot appetizers. On Mon or Tues they have a real cheap deal on margaritas all day I think. Unfortunately or fortunately we were not there on that day. A little farther up the road is a shopping/food area with more restaurants and lots of seafood.

Archived