? re: London Heathrow airport to Tilbury port/pier

Cruise Line transfer will be much, much easier, though probably also more expensive.

Tilbury is the opposite side of London from Heathrow, and it's probably about 40 miles. A taxi (black cab) all the way would be easy, but expensive. The public transport alternatives will be fiddly: from Heathrow you need to get to London Liverpool Street station, and the best way of doing that will be first to go to London Paddington Station on the Heathrow Express (from Heathrow), then get a taxi across central London to Liverpool Steet station. Alternatively you could get the tube from Heathrow (Piccadilly line) into central London, change tubes at Oxford Street onto the Central Line and continue on that to Liverpool Street Station, but that will be hard work though certainly cheaper.

Once you get to Liverpool Street station you have to get a train to East Tilbury (I believe), and from there you'll probably have to get a taxi to the harbour. Trains to east Tilbury run frequently during the day.

So it's going to be fiddly & hard work by public transport. You could probably also arrange a private transfer all the way - that might be cheaper than taxi, I don't know.

thanks!!! Fiddle I DO NOT want to do...may just go with the cruise line transfer, probably they would pick up by bus to transfer to the train to get to Tilbury - and we won't have to handle all the luggage so many times over......do not want to stress right before a 14 day cruise and after flying across the Atlantic....

I may just price a taxi - because even tho it's expensive may be cheaper than the cruise transfers!!! any sites for London taxis to get rates??

CJcruzer

London taxis (black cabs) are metered by time and the cost will depend on the traffic which in turn depends on the day, time of day any accidents etc. There are chauffered car services at Heathrow. You might like to seek a quote from http://www.skyportcars.com/ You can do this by phone, e-mail or on-line. I am not recommending them, just passing on the address.

Good luck.

thanks so much for that link - I have e-mailed them, not sure at this point if it is just the 2 of us, or if there will be another couple joining us, and that may really make the decision money-wise for us - it may be more economical for 4 of us to take the private car rather than the cruise line transfer....

CJcruzer

this board has been so helpful!!!!

So it's going to be fiddly & hard work by public transport.
I agree with this, to a large extent, although it's less hard work if your luggage is light and easily portable. The official website gives slightly different instructions for the train journey from central London. Fenchurch Street station is very close to Tower Hill Tube.

Have cruised out of Tilbury 5 times and we always took the train from Fenchurch Street station - easy journey but not the prettiest route. The train takes you straight to the port and there is little walking at the port end - you arrive next to the ship.The return journey is much the same with taxis always available in London.

Marge M

Archived