Info. on Livorno and the Tuscan countryside?

OK BOOK IT

On our upcoming cruise to the Med. we will be stopping for a day in Livorno. We would very much like to take a drive into the Tuscan countryside. We don’t need a destination, as such, but we would like to see what this part on Italy looks like. We have in the past spent 10 days in Florence. Maybe, stop for a lunch and a bit of wine would be grand. Does the ship have this type of a tour or do we need to hire a car and driver to get this job done?

Looking for your advice

OK Book It -

We hired a cab right on the pier in 2001 with two other couples and drove to Pisa and Lucca. Pisa is so much more than just the leaning tower. And Lucca in a word is beautiful. :D The rate was $180 for the full day. Keep in mind this was essentially for a driver - although he did speak good English, he was not a tour guide.

If I remember right there were people who also had reservations for rental cars that were delivered right to the pier.

You can also take the train from Livorno to Pisa and Lucca.

Have fun! :cool:

Joe

Maybe you would like the following tour proposed by Celebrity:

Tuscan Countryside - San Gimigano & Volterra

Approximate Duration: 9 Hours 45 Minutes

Adult: 120.00 (USD) | Child: 99.00 (USD)

This tour has been designed for guests who have already seen the famous attractions and beauties of Florence and Pisa and want to take in more of the Tuscany region. After a 2-hour drive through medieval hill-towns and beautiful surrounding valleys, you'll stop at San Gimignano, an enchanting medieval village that has taken the name of the Bishop Gimignano, who saved the City from the barbarians. "The Town of the fine Towers," as it has been called, well earns this name because of its tall, majestic towers. You'll have time at your leisure to explore or shop. For a taste of Tuscany's legendary cuisine, a local farmhouse will serve a generous lunch with typical local specialties.

Driving west you'll reach the village of Volterra where the sightseeing on foot will include Piazza dei Priori, one of the most beautiful squares in Italy, defined as a bellicose assembly of towers and palaces. Proceed to Piazza San Giovanni to admire the temples dedicated to prayer, the Baptistery and Cathedral. See the ruins of the Roman Theatre (dating back to the 1st century BC), that was brought to life again only at the beginning of this century. This magnificent example of the flourishing Roman civilization could hold up to 2000 people. Time permitting; you will visit a local alabaster workshop, enjoy a short demonstration by a local artisan, and have the opportunity to purchase selected items.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 200 yards over even and cobblestone streets with 20 to 25 steps. The walking distance between the entrance of San Gimignano and the parking area is approximately 15 minutes with a slight incline and 22 steps. Photography is not permitted inside the Cathedral. The Cathedral of Volterra is closed on Sundays, during special events, and mass services. Should this occur during your visit, guides will give an explanation outside and you will then enter on your own. The return drive from Volterra to Livorno is approximately 1.5 hours. Tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestion, but always covering the mentioned sights. The shopping hours and closure dates should be reviewed in the introduction section of Livorno.

My wife and I will take this tour in October. I think that San Gimignano is a "must" in Tuscany.

Good luck,

Have a nice trip!

Hi

DH and I are recently back from the 5/7 Galaxy Transatlantic. We had an itinerary change - dropping Malaga and including Livorno. I had already been in contact with Paola Migliorini to arrange a day trip to Florence from Rome after the cruise, so emailed her to change from that to a tour from Livorno. A number of Cruise Critic folks were also interested and Paola was able to coordinate 5 vans for all of us: 3 vans toured Florence alone, and two vans toured Florence, Pisa and the Tuscany countryside.

Paola was highly recommended in other earlier posts on this board and I echo those recommendations. She is very knowledgeable about the Tuscany countryside and Florence. Moreover, she has a degree in art history and is a licensed guide.

You can contact at Paola at

http://www.florencetour.com

info@florencetour.com

Bev

• 1 month later...

hello OK Book It.

Just found you ...

We are also on the Mille 9/30/04 cruise. Another couple and my husband and I would like to take a private excursion to Tuscany - specifically San Gimi and either Siena or Volterra. Have you booked a tour yet?? If not, I can let you know about the tour people we are considering (the list is dwindling (due to non-availability) the closer we get to cruise time. We would love to hook up with you as well.

We have been posting messages on the Millenium 9/30/04 Roll Call. Any reason you have not been there lately?

Enjoy!!!

Laraine and Rich Reid

On the Millie last October we rented a car in Livorno through Budget, and had fun driving around "Chiantishire" ourselves. We visitied San Geminniani (which I think is overrated as a tourist stop, unless you like crowds of European tourists). We weren't on any Autostrada, and driving on the country roads and in towns was at least as civilized as driving in the States. Of course you need a good, detailed map, like the Michelin #430, and you have to be ready to read Italian place names and driving signs. It cost about $70 including gas, and was a lot of fun. Not for everyone, but it can add a different experience when you travel like the residents.

Oh, you can get to the Budget office with a short walk getting off the ship's shuttle bus a bit early, but taking a taxi is much more convenient.

Hello Laraine and Rich -

Rainey, I am so sorry that I did not respond to your posting on the Roll Call Board. I have been out of town on a ten day trip to Maine and just discovered that you were looking for me on this board.

We went ahead and booked the Scenic Drive and Wine Tour a few weeks ago.

We have been to Europe for many trips and we go on many cruises, but this will be our first MED cruise.

Greetings for your upcoming birthday,

Werner and Warren

Archived