Potty trained on cruise vs diapers...

CruznIsBest

Hello,

DH, DD, and I are booked on a cruise in December. DD will be 2 yrs 4 months old by then. She is not yet potty trained, and I'm wondering if we should strive to have her trained by our cruise. Would that make things easier or harder? In thinking about logistics, if she is NOT potty trained, we won't have to worry about finding her a *clean* potty to use while on shore....she can just go in her diaper and we'll clean up as usual. I'm a germ phobe and the thought of her using public restrooms grosses me out (I don't like using them myself) and the thought of her going to some of the public restrooms on the islands we will be visiting is even more disturbing. Yucky!!! This is our one and only child, so I have no experience whatsoever with potty training and what it's like to have a toddler on vacation.

Thanks!

We took our 2 year old on a cruise in March, several months after he was potty trained. To me the advantages of not having smelly diapers in the room and not having to pack all of those diapers outweighed the inconvienence of trying to find public restrooms on short notice. I did notice that shopkeepers were much more helpfull pointing out a nearby restroom when you walk up to them with a toddler than on the times I have made the same inquiry without the toddler. We did the potty training without using pull-ups except at night (we refer to them as "nighttime underwear"), but you might want to consider putting her in some for excursions where finding a restroom might be more difficult.

What cruise line are you on? If it's Carnival, they do not have to be potty trained to use Camp Carnival (the kid's program). You can leave diapers and wipes with them and they will change her for you.

If you want to be able to take her in the pool on the ship, most cruise lines will not allow non-potty trained toddlers in the pool even in swim diapers.

When we took Caribbean cruises, we had enough port stops with beaches that it didn't matter on the ship if she couldn't go in.

I guess I think it would be easier not having her potty trained--you wouldn't have to worry about finding bathrooms. The downside is you'll need more room to pack the diapers and wipes (space for souvenirs on the way back, though :)) and maybe having to change them at bad times/locations.

What cruise line are you on?

It's RCCL...from her siggie line....

12/2006 - RCI - Jewel - Bet'cha can't guess - CARIBBEAN

You know, that's a tough call and one I hadn't thought of. I will have a child turning 3 just 2 days before the cruise and I hope to have her fully pt'd by then. But what if she doesn't like to go in public potties? :eek:

This could be a problem.

While I was reading this thread I realized my pt'd 3 year old may freak out when she first uses the ship's restroom! That noise is so loud.....I hope it doesn't discourage her. She does get nervous in public restrooms because of the loud toilets that some have. She'll definitely want me to do all the flushing!

I always carry the antibacterial wipes, so if we do have to use an unsanitary public restroom, I can at least wipe it down beforehand. And I always put paper down, too.

RCCL does not let unpotty trained children into the pools, even the kids pool, even in swim diapers. So if you think your daughter will want to go into the kids pool, I would make the effort to get her potty trained.

The public bathroom situation is hard though.

Just one thing to keep in mind in deciding whether or not to go ahead with the potty training: RCCL does not allow children who are not potty trained to go in pools. Even swimmies are banned. I guess it's a lot easier to potty train a boy... DS is 3 now and has been potty trained since he was 2 1/2. But when in a public bathroom, all he has to do is stand and aim ;) Makes it much easier. As for #2s, they have these foldable toilet covers at BabiesRUs that I always carry with me and you can wash it in the sink when you're done:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2304657&cp=2255976.2256090&parentPage=family

If you're worried about public potties you can buy a travel-size roll of disposeable toilet seat covers. You could also get the inflatable portable potty (it's lined with plastic bags).

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=153&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=153&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_ite=OSA

If you're worried about the automatic flushing toilets bring a pad of yellow sticky notes. Put one over the infra-red sensor and only remove it after your child has safely gotten away from the toilet.

In all reality you may not be the one deciding, potty verses non potty trained. It's wether your child is ready or not. (Not trying to start a debate). So if your child is ready and willing by all means don't stop the process, if they show no interest then don't push the issue. Besides it can take a week if you're lucky to a couple of months for #2 and then what! I would be mortified if my child was borderlined trained and as we embark on our cruise and oops there goes a poop in the pool!!!

I am in your situation for next year as my youngest will be just over 3 and I hope she will be fully trained at least 2 to 3 months prior to sailing.

Botton line, just go with the flow, diapers would be easier and less stressful for both you and your child so don't sweat the training part. Good Luck.

Archived