Questions about the Radiance

Hi There:

I'll be heading out on a ship I have never been on - the Radiance of the Seas - on a repositioning cruise mid-September from Vancouver to L.A. I'm a seasoned cruiser, and have been on most other classes of RCI ships; just not Radiance class.

Anyway, I have a few questions. First off, I'd like your impression of the ship and how it compares to others - better, about the same, etc. and how it relates to the entertainment and activities on board. I'm kind of being led to believe that this repositioning cruise will have a lot of older people thus less active things to do. I'm no spring chicken, but I enjoy sports, playing volleyball, and swimming.

I'm also a little curious about the main dining room menu - if fillet and lobster are offered and is the menu similar to other RCI ships? I've kind of read conflicting reports, though I can't imagine lobster not being on the 7 night menu.

Concerning staterooms: will it be similar to Voyager class ships design? How about past guest amenities: about what you would again expect on other 7 night cruises? I ask because each ship has a personality all its own I have found, and although they all provide similar amenities, there are some minor differences.

Any input, as always, is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Suzi

Hey Suzi... we're on the Radiance doing the Repo trip as well. I see you've been to the roll call for the cruise. I'll see if I can answer some of your questions.

Voyager and Radiance class ships are both great but we give a slight edge to the Radiance. We were on the Radiance last year for an Alaska cruise and the Brilliance (also Radiance class) a few years ago for a trans-Atlantic cruise. The Radiance class has lots of glass and even though not quite as large as the Voyager class, it feels more like a cruise ship. It doesn't have a Promenade like the Voyager class does. As nice as the Promenade is, it really doesn't feel like you're on a ship when you're in it. The Radiance doesn't feel that way... it's got glass throughout the ship including an elevator that is all glass looking out at the ocean.

I think the Voyager class is more family oriented where Radiance class is more couples oriented (just my opinion) Every RCI cruise I've been on have had a pretty good mix of people as far as age is concerned.

I've never been on a 7 day or longer cruise where lobster or steak was not served. I believe Radiance will have one night in the main dining room where they will offer a "Fishermans Plate" which will include lobster and shrimp.

We've stayed in a D1 balcony on the Radiance and a D2 balcony on the Voyager and I honestly can't think of any difference between either of the cabins. I cannot imagine you not enjoying this class ship at least as much as the Voyager class. Hope to keep in touch with you on the other board. Hope this helps.

44 more days!!!

Tim

I have to agree--The cabins are pretty much the same, as are most of the activities onboard. No big promenade on Radiance class--but I never spent time there anyway, so, it's no big loss to me! I thing you will love this ship and have a great time!

Suzi,

I have not been on the Radiance but have been on the Jewel and it is a beautiful ship. You can see out all the time and it is a very relaxing ship. We have never done a repo cruise and we are also doing this cruise, but we did do a Canada/New England cruise in 2004 on the Jewel and the majority were older couples but then there was some families with kids and some couples from their 20's and up. It would probably be a mixature.

Once we got on one of the elevators and this older gentlemen asked me how did I feel about traveling with all these old folks and my response was it has been great and my folks would be in the same age groups so it is no big deal.

Do not worry I am pretty sure you will enjoy this ship and enjoy the cruise.

Christine

We sailed Radiance in Her inaugural season in Alaska (2001). Since then we have sailed disney, carnival, celebrity, Explorer, Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess. My wife and I still agree. Radiance is our FAVORITE ship. The ship itself is beautiful and well designed. We LOVED the windows at the back of the Colony club where you could just relax and watch the wake. We also love the atmosphere in the atrium. This ship have EVERYTHING going for it. I hear that Gordon is back as the CD. If that is the case, it will be worth it just for that. We just cannot say enough good things about ROS. Wish we were joining you. I can promise that even as seasoned cruisers you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Everyone for your comments!

I really like Voyager class ships, but as I have not been on the Radiance class of ships, all I can go by are the pictures I have seen.

I bring up the issue concerning lobster as I was reading somewhere how not all ships now serve lobster. I too can't say I've been on a RCI ship where it wasn't served, but I thought I would ask.

We too have a balcony - not sure yet where, as we booked a guarantee. I loved the fact that there was a sliding glass door in stead of a shower curtain aboard the Mariner last year. We also liked the choice in entertainment venues - the ice show was awesome as were the Drifters. The high tech acrobatics show and the comedians were excellent - I'm hoping the Radiance offers something similar (minus the ice show).

Okay - one more question: Is it okay to bring a long gown for formal night? I ask as our last couple of cruises have been very casual - I felt over dressed on Formal Night. I could always bring my little black dress, but would love to wear my gown. What do you think?

Thanks again!!

I loved the fact that there was a sliding glass door in stead of a shower curtain aboard the Mariner last year.
The cabin we had last year on the Radiance had a curtain in the shower. Kind of hoping that may have changed since last year but I wouldn't count on it.

Tim

To be brief:

1 - Radiance class is smaller (not as wide) but that allows it to have a more "finished" or "polished" look to it.

2 - Rooms are very much the same in size / decor, etc.

3 - Menu's are the same - RCCL doesn't seem to have many variations - on a 7 nighter, the menu is identical on Voyager class and Radiance class (based on my experience - see my list below).

4 - Never felt crowded in the lounges / bars on either class (and I sail a full load holiday times).

5 - Dining room is smaller and less "impressive" on Radiance, if big is what you are into, but very nice.

6 - This one is opinion and not fact, but I found the main dining room and windjammer staff to be superior on Voyager class ships - I was always looking for some help on Radiance and the Voyager boats have so many staff there is always somebody a few feet away that can help you.

I don't know how to list pics, but if anyone wants I have some pics of Radiance from out trip to Alaska.

rsimons@socal.rr.com

I was on Holland Statendam a few years back and although a nice ship, and good service, when we boarded the Radiance, I was really awestruck with how beautiful it was. Not really seasoned cruisers so I know there are much nicer, I'm sure. But also much worse too like the Celebrity Mercury.

Archived