Can we pack jeans and shorts?

St.Love

I've been skimming through some posts and I'm hearing mixed reveiws. We are a laid back non dressing up family UNLESS it's a formal event. We wear jeans and shorts with shirts on a daily basis. Is it ok to pack this sort of attire for the family to wear during the day and night on the non formal nights?

Absolutely!

You may find, though, that if you are cruising to a warm weather location, jeans may be too heavy and hot. I prefer sundresses in warmer weather, my husband wears shorts until time to clean up for dinner.

I'm assuming from your signature that you are traveling Carnival (this advice might not work for some other lines). Shorts are definitely fine for during the day. They are not allowed in the main dining room at night. You can wear them elsewhere on the ship in the evenings. Jeans are okay as well. I'm not sure about Carnival's policy in regards to jeans in the dining room at night. Depending on where you are sailing, though, jeans may be too hot to wear, even onboard the ship.

I've been skimming through some posts and I'm hearing mixed reveiws. We are a laid back non dressing up family UNLESS it's a formal event. We wear jeans and shorts with shirts on a daily basis. Is it ok to pack this sort of attire for the family to wear during the day and night on the non formal nights?

Most cruise lines will specifically state "no shorts" in the main dining room at dinner, some will also exclude jeans.

There are almost always casual dining venues available for those not wishing to dress up.

For daytime wear, either is fine, although as Kathy points out, many find jeans much too hot for the islands.

On casual nights I wear either sundresses or jeans paired with silk tops and heels. My husband will pair jeans with a nice button down shirt and dress shoes. We don't find jeans too hot. It is 90-100 all summer here and we wear jeans a lot. The dining rooms tend to be cool to cold anyway. Neither Carnival nor RCI exclude jeans.

You know - I love jeans. I won't even tell you how many pair I have. But in the hot days of summer, I rarely wear them. So they just don't appeal to me on a cruise either (I only have cruised in the summer so far). Denim is too heavy and too hot. Other than dinner, I wear shorts & swimsuits - much more comfortable.

You know - I love jeans. I won't even tell you how many pair I have. But in the hot days of summer, I rarely wear them. So they just don't appeal to me on a cruise either (I only have cruised in the summer so far). Denim is too heavy and too hot. Other than dinner, I wear shorts & swimsuits - much more comfortable.

I'm with you, no way am I wearing long jeans or any long pants, other than linen, in hot weather. I see people all the time in long jeans and long sleeved shirts around here. I don't know how they can stand it, I'm in shorts and tank tops, I can't even stand a collar on my sleeveless shirts, once the temps go above 80!

I always wear shorts on cruises during the daytime. For dinner I will change to a dress or pants outfit. Usually, I leave the jeans at home-------to heavy to wear in warm weather, and they take up precious room in the luggage.

Enjoy your trip.

Barb

Like other posters, I hate packing jeans for vacations. But I see that you're leaving in late September. If you have the light-weight denim jeans, you may want to pack them or another type of comfy long pant in case there's a cold snap. Of course, I'm sitting here in temps that are hitting 100+ daily, so I'm praying for cooler weather!

And there was the time we left the port in 80 degrees and returned to mid-50's, overcast, with cold winds. Had the ship's store been open that morning, they would have sold out of sweatshirts and jackets! Just about everyone had packed any warm clothing they had brought because we just spent 12 days in 90+ temps.

I see that you're leaving in late September. If you have the light-weight denim jeans, you may want to pack them or another type of comfy long pant in case there's a cold snap. .

Avg temps in Sept are 87 to 74 - still rather warm for jeans - at least for me. :o

Archived