Best Places to eat in San Francisco???

BURWASHT

I was just woundering the names of some really good places to eat around Fisherman's Wharf or downtown San Francisco? We are there for a few nights so some fine dinning and may-be some not so fine, like a sports bar with good food!!! Thanks

I was just woundering the names of some really good places to eat around Fisherman's Wharf or downtown San Francisco? We are there for a few nights so some fine dinning and may-be some not so fine, like a sports bar with good food!!! Thanks

I usually avoid eating at the Wharf...A little touristy and not necessarily the best value...

My best advice is to head over to the area known as "North Beach"...It's not really a beach at all--or even at the beach...It's the old Italian neighborhood along Columbus Avenue, sort of between the Wharf and Chinatown...You almost can't go wrong with any restaurant there...just walk up and down the street following the smells...Check out menus in the windows...and pick one...

You might want to try this one:

http://www.thestinkingrose.com/

Or, more reasonably priced:

http://www.trattoriapinocchio.com/

http://www.volarecafe.com/

But, that only starts it...there's LOTS of great restaurants in the area...

Then stop for a drink at Vesuvio...It's the old haunt of the "Beat" Poets...right next to the City Lights Bookstore...

Have fun...

Fine dining - I like Boulevard or Jardiniere.

Meat - Harris Ranch or House of Primerib. Neighborhood steakhouse (Izzy's).

Asian small Plates - Betelnut. or Slanted Door

French - ??? on Polk Street

There are a lot of very upscale restaurants check out Zagats. Very

trendy and very expensive.

Chinese - Harrys Hunan

Wharf places are too touristy - if you have to eat there Scomas.

Check out places on Fillmore, Chestnut, Union and Polk

Most popular restaurants require reservations. Make them ASAP.

we like to go to Tarantino's. It offers really good seafood as a reasonable price. If you fly in, check out Kincaid's - take the shuttle over to the Red Roof Inn and then walk the shore path - it takes about 15 minutes and it's usually a littl ewindy, so take a sweater. We also like Postrio down by Union Square and Kay T's in Japan Town. The best thing to do is get into the Internet and do a little exploring. Many restaurants will even let you book on line now. The hardest part about dining in SF is narrowing down the choices - there are tons of places to eat.

Charlie

I had one of the best meals of my life at Farallon and the atmosphere is fantastic. As I understand it, the building used to be and old Elks Club and part of the restaurant is in the old swimming pool.

Second that recommendation. Farallon - great atmosphere beautiful decor. Too many good restaurants in SF its really hard to choose.

Thank you very much on the tip of Farallons!!! I tryed to make an on-line reservation but it said "Your requested date exceeds the maximum advance reservation limit for Farallon", dose anyone know the maximum advance that I can make a reservation? We're going in Feb 07. Thanks

Thank you very much on the tip of Farallons!!! I tryed to make an on-line reservation but it said "Your requested date exceeds the maximum advance reservation limit for Farallon", dose anyone know the maximum advance that I can make a reservation? We're going in Feb 07. Thanks

I don't, but I'd give them a call so you don't miss out.

It is about a month. I would call and get reservations.

I spend a lot of time in San Francisco, which is only an hour north of my home. I'm a foodie, so I rarely eat anywhere near the wharf. I have my favorite restaurants (listed below) but when I want to try someplace different, I often search through www.opentable.com for ideas. This website lets you search within the various neighborhoods in SF, by cuisine, by price, and by date. If you find something you like, you can make the reservation right then and there. You can also cancel via the website.

My favorites:

North Beach is great fun for food and boutique shopping. Try Rose Pistola. Downtown/Union Square has many larger stores (Macy's) and many fine restaurants. My favorite restaurants are Ponzu's (try the sake tasting), Cortez (tapas), Farallon (great fish), and if you're really looking to splurge, try the Fifth Floor or Masa's. I checked and discovered all of these restaurants have availabilty on Sept 23. I suspect most of them only accept reservations 30 days in advance.

bon apetite!

we haven't been there in about three years. We met friends there for Sunday brunch and while the view was incredible, the food was just okay. Of course, there are so many restaurants in SF that it's hard to actually go back to the same one and find the same chef there.

Now, I will confess that we are foodies, as golfinggypsy says and we have close friends whom are chefs and cook for us frequently, so we're a little spoilt. My advice is go for the view, not the food.

Charlie

P.S. If you want some great and very inventive food, try Cafe Katy in Japan town. And the Fifth Floor is incredible!

Spikesgirl comments are on target. But if you are interested in the view, there are two dining areas -- a large cafe type area (with waiter service) but no reservations and the fancy dining area. The cafe type area is more open with better views and is great for lunch. One can sign up, wander around outside, and come back. Cliff House also has a website. /Sultan

Any thoughts about Sutro's at Cliff House? I've got reservations, but want to make sure that the cost is justified.

Sutro's Cliff House is a definitely a better choice than Beach Chalet. Request a window table if you have not done so. The menu is quite interesting and the food will be better than the cruise dining room (although we are big fans of Princess Dining Room food). /Sultan

While I don't have a recommendation, I do have one resturant to avoid. We dined at Ruth Chris Steak house in the downtown section on Van Ness (I think). The food was okay, but NOT worth the price. IMHO it was outrageously expensive. The menu was a la carte, so we had two small steaks. We split one baked potato and an order of broccoli. The total bill was over $100. We drank water, so there was no drinks or alcohol included in the tab. I can understand that resturants are more expensive in SF. Deb

This isn't the first time I've heard this about Ruth Chris Steak House and not just in San Fransciso. We have friends in New York who said nearly the same thing. Small amount of food, but large bill. thought it might just be a NYC thing, but guess not.

Also have to tell you, i really like Fresno. We've been there a very times, usually on school business, but I've always enjoyed your city. It gets a bad rep, but I think it's like anything. I thought that the Fresno State campus was beautiful and well thought out and we didn't met anyone that wsa obnoxious or rude in all of our visit. Just thought you'd like to know...umm, you can keep your heat though - Stockton is hot enough for me :D

Charlie

Spongerob, I think you'll enjoy the Cliff House. The original building has historic significance, it's in a unique location, and it has a great view .. as long as it isn't too foggy (as in pea soup thick). Fall and Spring have the most fog-free days in SF but, just in case, you might want to have a backup reservation someplace else.

I believe it was Steinbeck who said .. "The worst winter I ever experienced was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

Spikegirl,Thank you. I am not fond of the heat either. By this time of year I am sssooo ready for some rain and cooler temps.

We really enjoy Fresno, it has a lot to offer, but does have a bad reputation, ( some of it deserved).

It is interesting that you mention the Fresno State campus. My foreign exchange student son attends Univesity high school which is on the FSU campus. So I am on the FSU campus everyday. I don't know how long it has been since you have been there, but it is experiencing some major growing pains. There is building going on all over the campus, so it looks more like a construction zone than a university campus.

I enjoying driving through Stockon becuase of the Delta. Not only do you get the waterways, you also get some of those ocean breezes that push in from the delta to cool you off. Deb

RE: The Cliff House. The original building is no longer there. The site was demolished and a new building has replaced the old structure, think we are now on the 4th structure on site. I haven't been to the new one, it looks very cold and modern from the outside. Too bad they didn't build a replica of the original victorian style. That would have been a better choice. Personally, I would go for a drink before dark, then somewhere else for dinner. Jeanine

Archived