Best Places to eat in San Francisco???

BURWASHT

Just another vote for Harris Ranch (steaks) and House of Prime Rib. Depending on where you are staying - taxis are reasonable. You can take buses - just watch your wallet and purses - they are known pickpocket territory.

That being said - a simple way to get to either restaurant - if you can get to Market Street - take a bus or trolley that will take you to Van Ness. Ask the bus driver where to get off - they are very good about helping tourists. Ask for a transfer when you get on the first bus. The buses run more often than the cable cars.

We often took the bus out to dinner and then had a taxi ride home. Valet parking would have cost us more than the taxi.

We're sailing out of SF in May, 07 and a fellow worker who used to live in SF three years ago recommended Scoma's for seafood and Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee--home of the first Irish Coffee. Both are supposed to be at Fisherman's Wharf. Any comments? We hope to be in beautiful SF for two or three days before we sail, so I am making note of all your recommendations for dining. Thanks!

Scoma's is probably one of the best restaurants on the wharf. The BV, that used to be the place where we went on Friday nights, was a local's place, today they still have the best Irish Coffee around. Was where Irish Coffee was first made in the U.S. The hamburgers are excellent!! Great breakfast place!

Used to go there all the time for a journalism competition and really liked the campus, especially the rose garden. We will have to drive down again and check it out. Was thinking about attending FSU for awhile, but settled on Stanislaus instead.

Could use one of those Delta breezes today - it's already 98 and only 2 p.m. This is what's great about living in the state though - you can find just about any type of climate or weather you want.

Cheers!

Charlie

In-N-Out the only way to go by the wharf. If you have never had one - try a double double - yum yum. With grilled onions.

Most of the restaurants around the wharf cater to the tourists. The food tends to be so so. Which is too bad since San Francisco has really great food.

I can't believe someone is actually going to San Francisco and Fisherman's Wharf and will go to In-and-Out:p . Yes, their hamburgers are good, but you can eat them almost anywhere in the west. Almost all seafood restaurants in the Wharf area will offer a steak or hamburger equivalent. But to each his/her own:D

Wharf food is mostly mediocre. For a good $18.00 burger - take one of the street cars to Boulevard (one of my favorite restaurants). But IMHO the best burger at Fishermans Wharf is at In and Out.

You can go further around the bay to Gordon Biersch - good burgers and garlic fries.

We've always really enjoyed the food at Scomas (at the Wharf).

We were just in S.F. on Saturday and the Rainforest Cafe was still there. Although we haven't eaten there, I have heard that the House of Prime Rib is very good.

About eating at the "In & Out Burger" while in S.F. It sounds kinda silly, but then I think about how many people eat at Johnny Rockets on the cruise ship. Some folks (myself included) just really like a burger and fries no matter where we are. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Spikegirl,Thank you. I am not fond of the heat either. By this time of year I am sssooo ready for some rain and cooler temps.

We really enjoy Fresno, it has a lot to offer, but does have a bad reputation, ( some of it deserved).

It is interesting that you mention the Fresno State campus. My foreign exchange student son attends Univesity high school which is on the FSU campus. So I am on the FSU campus everyday. I don't know how long it has been since you have been there, but it is experiencing some major growing pains. There is building going on all over the campus, so it looks more like a construction zone than a university campus.

I enjoying driving through Stockon becuase of the Delta. Not only do you get the waterways, you also get some of those ocean breezes that push in from the delta to cool you off. Deb

Hi Deb from cali, just wanted to say Hi, i live in Clovis.

I spend my weekends in SF due to my husbands job.

Thinking on trying Harris Ranch, how far is it from Fisherman's Warf?

Harris Ranch is a really good steak house. And they have great martinis. It is not walking distance but if you are planning on travelling around town the all day bus passes or city tour packs come in handy.

Taxis are reasonable as the distances are very close. San Francisco is a small geographical area. Harris Ranch and Prime Rib House are both on Van Ness. The easiest way by public transport is the Embarcadero trolley to Market - any bus that goes to Van Ness. Bus Drivers are very helpful. $1.50 fare or $.50 for seniors.

Can any tell me about Cippinos near the Wharf? it is across from the Cannery in an area labeled "Fish Alley" on the map I have. Also, can any one recommend a really good place to get Dim Sum. Don't really care about a full menu restuarant, just really good Dim Sum.

Our favorite place for dim sum is Ton Kiang on Geary. Outside of downtown but we like the food much better than Yank Sing.

Just as a change of pace, take the bus downtown to the CCA. You would need to check their schedule and make a reservation. The students cook lunch and dinner for the public under the supervision of master chefs. It is an interesting, delicious and fun meal in SF. The night we were there was the grand graduation and the food selection was amazing. The service is impeccable too.

Carribean Deams,

My mother lives in Clovis, so I spend a lot of time over there.

So if I want something from SF I can call on you??? :p

I don't get over to the City, but once a year if I am lucky. My German son wants to experience SF. I don't know when it will happen, but I am going to try.

Deb

Carribean Deams,

My mother lives in Clovis, so I spend a lot of time over there.

So if I want something from SF I can call on you??? :p

I don't get over to the City, but once a year if I am lucky. My German son wants to experience SF. I don't know when it will happen, but I am going to try.

Deb

Archived