Evening attire????

lysolqn

Sailing on Sapphire in Alaska next week and understand the evening dress code is two formal nights, five casual. Do the specialty restaurants adhere to the same two formal, five casual dress code? Double checking to make sure my DH needs only his tuxedo for formal nights and casual evening attire (no jacket or tie) for the other nights. Also, how formal are the formal nights and just how casual can you go in the evening? Thanks!

Yes, the specialty restaurants adhere to the same dress code as the dining rooms. Should he WANT to be more dressed up in the specialty restaurants, he will not look out of place.

Depending on where you dine, you may be as casual as you like... but in the main dining rooms I would say a nice collared shirt and a pair of Dockers or dress pants is the norm.

Formal nights you will see a wide range of dress, just like every other cruise, cruise line, cruise ship. We actually got a little MORE formal in Alaska than we do in the Caribbean, but that's just us.

Enjoy your trip!

The nights that are not formal nights are "smart casual" and you will mostly see polo shirts or casual collared shirts with Dockers but also some jackets. It's more like what you would wear to a very nice restaurant vs. what you would wear to McDonalds. I found it very nice to see people dressed for dinner and shows. People just don't dress up for things like they used to. It really added to the whole upscale atmosphere.

For those who don't care anything about that, there is the buffet but I really think people are missing a large part of what cruising is about. Just my opinion.

I agree with cwestbrook. Since I live in Florida, the "uniform of the day" is usually shorts and a t-shirt. When we go out to a nice restaurant I probably will go to a nice pair of slacks and a golf shirt. So formal night on a cruise is a time to really "dress to the nines". I own a tuxedo and also a dinner jacket, so on the first formal night I go the "black route" and on the second formal night I go with my white dinner jacket. It feels good to get dressed up and when else will I get to wear my tuxedo?? If the cruise I'm on has a semi-formal night, I'll probably settle for slacks and a sports jacket. Lately we have noticed that more tuxedo's are being worn, especially by the "seniors". ;)

I guess all of the Princess cruise lines are similar when it comes to attire for the evening. We had been on the Tahitian Princess in May this year.

Well, it’s like I told Bob, a woman needs to have at least one nice gown on these long cruises because there is at least one formal night. The one we were on was a 12-night cruise, so I took two gowns.

Bob took his usual suit. But, the guys are lucky--they usually have a tux rental place.

A tux is nice but so is a suit for a guy.My DH takes one suit ,2 different shirts.I never take a gown just a couple of dressy dresses.Neither of us has felt out of place.We dress the other nights like we were going out to dinner at a nice restaurant.Have fun on your cruise.

Archived