PC or Not PC

hgatsawgrs

The price for internet packages are the same for your laptop, or usage of the ships computers in the Explorers lounge/cafe.

The wireless area will be mid-ship, around and above the Explorers area. I believe there's also a wi-fi antenna in the Crow's Nest, but I never tried my laptop there. You can probably pick up a signal on the mid-ship Lido pool area, if you wish. I did on the Oosterdam earlier this year.

If you have a mid-ship cabin, you might be fortunate to pick up the signal from your cabin. Or, you can you a dial-up connection in your cabin. The cost-per-minute will be the same when using a dial-up or a wi-fi connection.

Various packages are available; the more you buy, the cheaper per minute.

I had an aft cabin on the Noordam recently, and that was really my only complaint: having to carry my laptop mid-ship for internet access.

Hope this helps!

Paul

On the Vista class ships you can use your own PC in your cabin - prces to use the internet is the same.

Actually, according to the website, the price to use their service in cabin is cheaper - $0.50 vs. $0.75 per minute, pay as you go. That is the same as the 100 minute package they offer, and only a dime per minute more expensive than the 250 minute package, without the commitment.

There is a catch, of course! The in room speed is a 56k modem (remember when we thought that was fast???), and the wireless is Wi-Fi, so it is faster in the atruim, cafe, etc. The in cabin connection is via phone jack.

Why can't they get broadband into a brand new ship????? Oh well.

I'll bring my laptop to download pictures, etc. and to set up the blog pages for the trip (nothing like getting everyone jealous back home!).

Keep Smiling!!!

Why can't they get broadband into a brand new ship????? Oh well.

I'll bring my laptop to download pictures, etc. and to set up the blog pages for the trip (nothing like getting everyone jealous back home!).

Keep Smiling!!!

Like you TimeThief, I'll be bringing my L/T.... Question for all you tech type CC'ers:

If I zip my docs and pixs, will the ships net handle the xfrs? Since I use a web based e-mail, I suspect that most everything will go through o.k. also?

Thanks in advance for responses! :)

Paul, I thought Vista ships had an in-room option- why did you not use it? the link the chief sent- said that.

Being spoiled by hi-speed access, I just couldn't use the dial-up in my room! Although I had plenty of minutes left in the package I purchased, I would have been a nervous wreck, waiting on each dial-up page to open! I didn't even take a phone cord with me (although I'm sure I could have "found" one on board)....

(I did mention dial-up being available in the cabins...;) )

Paul

If I zip my docs and pixs, will the ships net handle the xfrs? Since I use a web based e-mail, I suspect that most everything will go through o.k. also? :)

Namvet4, they should be able to handle your zips just fine. I shot files and a whole website up through their system, to to an ftp server and to a web email address, and it worked great. There might be a size limit, but I doubt it (bigger files, more time, bigger bill - that would be the combination I would look for if I owned the service!).

Keep Smiling!!!

The one plus i found to taking my laptop is since there is no clock you can see at night. I put the computer of the desk or a chair next to the bed and put it on screensaver mode and put up the clock on it so if i can see what time is it, that really the only reason, plus i play my ipod music on it.

Archived