Hoonah, Alaska's Icy Strait Point - A taste of the REAL Alaaqsaq (Alaska)

Hoonah_Tlingit_Boy

Happy New Year Koo Hook, I will be coming to ISP on Tues.June 28, 2005. My husband and I would like to do whale watching with you. We will be in ISP from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. However, we will be tendered so we have to leave time to be tendered back and forth to the Summit. Do you know the schedule of the whale watching for June 28, 2005? Would appreciate any information you might have so that we can enjoy the excursion with you and your people. Looking forward to visiting ISP and meeting you. Have a safe winter. Lois

Koo Hook,

Just thinking about you and the volleyball team this morning. Glad to hear all went well. I figure questions about ISP will be coming along fast and furious soon, as the season gets closer. Calif isn't at zero degrees, or at least not here in the valley, but it has been cold and wet. Weather patterns seem a little skewed all over. Will talk to you later, or at least read and learn more about Hoonah.

Char,

I guess they didn't actually shorten our port time for ISP on the Summit. Just moved it up to 6:30am-2:30pm rather than 8-4. But we could not get off to the tender until at least 7:30 and we had to be back on the dock by 1:30 I think to catch the tender back.

Hey John :D I see that the number of hours there are the same, but the number of "usuable" hours were shortened for the Summit. I wonder why they changed the hours for some ships but not for others?

Hey Koo Hook :D Congratulations on your winning team! A quick question~~have you contracted with Celebrity again this year for the whale watching? If so, how do I make sure I get that partucular tour? I'll be back to join in the new conversations about this wonderful new destination! Thanks Koo Hook for all your previous posts with so much insight into your people and land.:)

Char

When we got our papers for the Summit in Sept, they had changed the brochure times for ISP to the 6:30-2:30 time frame. But they didn't move the two whalewatching tours up earlier in morning. Just cancelled the 12:30 tour and went with the 9am which was packed. Don't know if they will change that in 2005 or have more than one whalewatch tour? I think last year, Koo Hook was going on all of them.

This is exactly what I was hoping for!! I thought it was about time to knock some dust off this box......PHEW! I'm elated to be able to now spend a little more time talking to old friends and making new ones here at cruisecritic and elsewhere......

HI 376! - Whalewatching for you huh? You're going to be in for a great treat....regardless if we see whales or not......just being out on that water and listening to the life around you is exhilerating for me. I'm not sure as to whether I'll be doing naturalist duties this year, but we'll see. Either way, I promise no matter what, we'll meet....and if I'm as smooth as I think I am, I'll be sure to be the naturalist for the day you're on tour......I'm unaware as to what the schedule will be like for June 28, with the stop being from 6:30 to 2:30, however I'm ALMOST positive that the first whale cruise in the morning and the last whale cruise in the afternoon will be picked up directly by the whaleboat from the ship, saving time to the whalewatching spot, and creating more time for you on shore at Icy Strait Point!!!! Doesn't that sound awesome? Again, I'm almost positive, but don't ink that until I tell you for SURE, ok? Can't wait to see you in the June sun......

HI JOHN Q - Great to see that you are still visiting these threads. Gunalcheesh for the congratulations....it truly was an experience for me and a great milestone in what I think is the beginning of my adult life.....notice I said "THINK"......it's now snowing again, and it's warmed up just a bit. The clowd cover is a heaven send whenever the temperatures get extreme.....I'm enjoying the winter weather, but am even more excited to see the first dandelion sprout......Hey John, do you know how I can post a picture on this forum for everyone to see? I saved the picture from the Anchorage Daily News on a word document, and would like to share it with everyone...how can I do this???

Budget Queen - I'm delighted to hear that you'll finally be sending yourself this way. I think that you'll find it quite appealing, but then again, I have no clue as to what your tastes might be. I've noticed you're quite the experienced cruisecritic, and I'm a little intimidated as far as what your critique may be of my wondorous home. I'd personally like to meet you once you head up this way, this way I can put a face to the Queen of cost.......tick, tock, tick tock......

Char - Aat Tlein Gunalcheesh for those kind words.....hopefully I will be able to get that picture on the site so everyone can see......I do believe that the whalewatching is all contracted through the ship, and I know that they are selling the tours on Royal Caribbean's website now.......I'm not sure as to whether they are on Celebrity's yet, but aren't they one in the same? You might want to check out the website just in case......if you book through the ship, you will be on the whalewatch departing from either the ship or ISP, both the same company, Icy Strait Point. Hopefully, you'll meet one of my trained naturalists, or quite possibly myself.....either way, it'd be grand to meet you either way......you'll be astounded at the great things that happen out there on the waters of Icy Strait.

GUNALCHEESH to all for reviving this wonderful thread....it certainly helps me trudge through the winter with great promises of an AWESOME spring and summer....

Koo Hook

Hi Koo Hook!

We'll be on the 5/20 Summit. I believe this will be the first ship of the season to visit Icy Strait Point! I remember last summer hearing what a wonderful new port Celebrity had began visiting! I'm really looking forward to learning about your culture and people first hand!

Oh by the way, we will be in Icy Strait Point from 9am to 6pm. I checked out the Celebrity web site and Northbound cruises will be there longer. It's the Southbound that will only be there from 6:30am to 2:30pm. Can you tell I'm happy we'll be able to stay longer?

I'm so looking forward to learning about your people/land/heritage! I'm impressed Celebrity has added such a authentic destination!

After reading this whole thread tonight I found myself getting more and more excited. I do have to add a funny story: My husband was working and afterwards we went to Starbucks (no, I won't mind not finding a Starbucks!!) I told him about the lady who makes Moccasins for $75 and can't make them fast enough. His eyes really lit up and said I'll buy a pair of those! I forgot the part in the article that said they are BABY Moccasins...Now I have to go out to the living room and tell him, his feet might be too big...way too big! Umm, maybe during the remaining cold winter she will be able to make a BIG pair of size 13's! Tell her for me, if so, she already has a sale!!!

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your wonderful land with us!

Sharon from Charlotte, NC

Wasaa Iyatee EVERYONE????? I am just great as can be...I had to get up a little early this morning to shovel snow for my friend because it snowed nearly a foot last night, and IT IS STILL SNOWING! WOOHOO! The ski area in Juneau (Eaglecrest) just might make some money this year! Hoonah is fixed to get nearly 30 inches of accumulated snow by TONIGHT! WOAH!!! Yeah, sometimes it does feel the sky is falling.......

Hello Sharon...your enthusiasm stirs my memories of the throngs of people I had the chance to explain the structure and ways of the people of southeast Alaska; the Tlingit. It's a great educational opportunity for both myself and those interested in the ways one survives in such beautiful yet painfully truthful circumstances. ABOUT THE BOOTIES...the woman you're talking about is of the Yeil' (Raven) moiety. Her english name is Kathy Marvin, and she actually repaired my moccasins and I wear a size 11. She is perfectly capable of making size 13's. As long as you can give me confirmation that you absolutely would like a pair, I WOULD BE GLAD to help out your better half.....just let me know, and I've got the "hook-up's" - the reason I quoted that is because I'm not too sure how many of you understand today's slang and ebonics - yeah, go figure, an Alaskan grown Tlingit boy in the middle of nowhere talking this way...AHHHHHH the power of the dishnetwork....LOL...By the way Sharon, the Summit arriving on the 25th will be the second ship to TENDER to ISP for 2005 - the first ship will be the Infinity on the 22nd. YAY!

And to all the rest of my worrisome friends.....NO, there is not a dock here suitable for the size of the vessels in which you will be traveling on....the City of Hoonah is looking into the construction costs, etc....but personally, I'm not sure I'm for the dock myself...ask me why in the next posting...LOL....however, your tender ride will be beautiful for the mysterious approach to Icy Strait Point, and will leave wondering just what lies beyond the curious buildings.......

Well, now I have to go and shovel out my friend's car again, and I hope to hear some great things and questions from all the cruise critics......I'm eager to help once again.

GUNALCHEESH

Koo Hook

Koo Hook, thanks so much for your reply and nice words! The power of the Internet is something isn't it! My husband Don is very much interested in Yeil'moiety's booties! He will post himself so he can ask you the questions he has! He will be grateful for the "hook-up"!

I can just imagine how beautiful your land is right now. We live in the South and snow is very rare around here. A few years ago here in Charlotte NC, it snowed around 3-4 inches. My usual 20-25 minute trip home took over 4 hours!

My only regret is that we on the Summit will be the 2nd ship to visit Icy Strait Point. I was wanting to be the first! I won't complain, I'm just so happy we're going to be able to come!

Thanks again for your reply and enjoy your winter wonderland!

Sharon

My wife and I will be on the first ship that tenders into Icy Strait in May on the Infinity. We have never been to Alaska before (but have sailed a lot) and are really looking forward to it. My wife is in a wheelchair and cannot climb any kind of stairs to get into a vehicle. My question is could you recommend a tour in your area that she would be able to enjoy easily? She can transfer from her chair to a regular car type seat but can't go up any stairs into like a bus. Thanks for your help and looking forward to meeting you in May!

Dan & Linda Bertellotti

Foster City, California

We will also be going to ISP in May (Infinity RT San Fran May 16-28) and I cant wait this is my first trip to alaska! DH and I are very excited. I have enjoyed reading all about this port, I was not sure what to expect. Now to figure out what excursions to do...... :D

Carolyn

O.K. Barbarabeeb, we will be on the May 28th Infinity RT out of S.F. and thought I would mention that to keep the ship ship-shaped(no pun intended):D so it will be ready for us when you get back. I am very much looking forward to Icy strait too. I think it will be a change from the other stops. This will be our third trip to Alaska. Congrats on your first trip to Alaska. You are going to thorughly enjoy it.

Marilyn

HI SUNNY 48'ers! (I know not all of you are basking in the sun) Today, the snow continues to fall and we are in roughly 21/2 - 3 feet of SNOW! ALL schools in Juneau closed today, but the school in Hoonah is still open! That just goes to show you the tenacity of this community. If we had to SWIM through the snow to school, there would STILL be school. Many of us used to ice skate to school, and remove our ice skates once we got there. True hearty Alaskans get a kick out of the evening news when they hear schools and offices in the lower 48 are closed due to 2 inches of snow. However, from what I understand, many of you are digging out, avoiding avalanches, floods and landslides! I hope the best for everyone, I'm beefing up from day to day from shoveling that's for sure!

Sharon - I look forward to meeting your other half once he posts. I'm sure we can strike a deal with him on the moccasins. Yes, the snow continues to drop and AS I SPEAK, there was just a report over the radio of MORE SNOW! It was supposed to stop by tomorrow!!!! I'd give anything to send you 3-4 inches so you could enjoy it again! Don't be saddened by your arrival coming second to the Infinity.....just remember the saying, "First is worst, second is best...." LOL......No matter what time you come, you're DEFINATLY going to experience things "not normally" experienced in Alaska ports - again this place is raw and true to it's roots...we'll definatly meet Sharon....

Dan & Linda - NO PROBLEM! There are many ADA accessible areas and tours in which you could participate and discover! Most of the Icy Strait Point site can be accessed by wheelchair. Some of the hidden jewels are easily accessible and will provide great educational and interactive experiences. The Cannery Tour, Hoonah Sightseeing and Native Show are all GREAT experiences and you should be able to find descriptions of those on the cruiseline websites - if you have any particular questions pertaining to those tours, feel free to ask me. Aside from tours, there is a great museum to meander through, retail shops (all of which sell different things so you're not seeing T-shirt shop after jewelery shop after T-SHIRT SHOP!!!AHHHHH! You'll enjoy it. There are also two restaurants you will be able to access as well - and there are great views to watch whales frollicking off the shores just yards away! No worries Dan, I'll be sure that Linda and yourself will have a pleasant and enjoyable visit to our island fortress......

Carolyn - WHAT AN AWESOME FIRST TRIP TO ALASKA THIS IS GOING TO BE FOR YOU! You're going to get the chance to experience something many VETERAN cruisers have not.....a place in Alaska that is just that, an iconic community still represented by it's aboriginal roots and shaped as such. Bring a camera, and be prepared to soak in the sights, sounds and pleasant nature of this area - no hussle and bussle on sidewalks here.....

Marilyn - I am also eager for you to experience this area, so that you could hold it to your other experiences and let me know if Icy Strait Point in Hoonah will have changed your definition of a cruise to Alaska......whether it is what you originally meant to experience when you decided to purchase your very first cruise to Alaska.....I would just like to know your thoughts once you make it here - so either we'll have to meet...or we'll HAVE TO MEET! Looking forward to the newest ship to Icy Strait Point - the INFINITY!

AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH (thank you very much) for asking such great questions and actually becoming a part of it all...I think we'll all grow from this experience on cruisecritic, and more importantly, the experiences you'll be having once you finally reach Icy Strait Point in Hoonah...........

WOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Koo Hook

Koo Hook, thank you so much for your personal replies to each and all!

I can only imagine how beautiful it is right now with all the Snow. You mentioned schools closing with only a couple of inches of snow. Schools in Charlotte have closed with simply a forcast of a bad snow storm!

I have a favor to ask: Since I like to learn phrases in various languages/culturs of the areas we visit, can you translate: AAT TLEIN GUNALCHEESH! Also what does WASAA IYATEE mean. I can guess, but I want to know how to greet your people when I visit Icy Strait Point! Any other words will be helpful. Here are some good ones that I know I will use:

1. How much does this cost? (see where I'm going with this one!!)

2. How are you today?

3. Thank you!

Thanks a lot, I want to be prepared when I arrive!

My better half, Don is very happy about the possiblity of buying moccasins while he's at Icy Strait! I'm pretty sure he'll be get on the boards and introduce himself soon!

Have a wonderful evening!

Sharon in Charlotte

KOO HOOK

Glad to hear that there are bigger mocassins available. I am the quiet half of Sharon so don't get on the boards as much as she does. I am definitely interested in a pair of mocassins if they don't cost an arm and leg! Let me know the info and we will work it out.

I am originally from Colorado and used to visit our friends ranch on weekends. I can remember reading every Alaska Sportsman magazine they had until they finally gave me a subscription for Christmas one year. I have always wanted to visit Alaska and am finally going to make it! To age myself, I remember adds in the magazine for fur parkas for $350.00. That was a long time ago.

Looking forward to learning about Tlingit history. Our daughter is travelling with us and she and I both like to learn as much as we are able.

You would laugh at the people in Charlotte and their snow. If it snows two or three inches the city almost shut down. That is probably a good thing since they don't know how to drive in the snow.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Cruisin Gomer

Koo Hook: Thanks for all of the replies. Yes I would love to meet you too. I will be on the Infinity June 2 at Icy Strait. Never have been there before and hubby and I are really looking forward to it. I do have a question. How far is the town of Hoonah from the place where we get off of the ship. I thought I read somewhere that it was a short walk. Is that true?. Thanks for all info that you have provided.

Marilyn

Let the skaters start skating! We've now been caught in some rain, and the roads look suitable for Michelle Kwan! Oh the joys of southeast Alaska......

Sharon - I think it's great that you want to learn the language of the people in which you're going to encounter. The Tlingit language is a VERY difficult language to learn, and linguists claim it is THE most difficult language to learn in the world. Whatever is spelled out in the english alphabet is NOT phonetic.....you must study and learn how to make the necessary tongue/mouth/throat adjustments to get the proper sounds.....It is a language which at one time was nearly lost. Out of 15,000 Tlingits, fewer than 300 can speak the language fluently, and the majority of those people are 65 and older. There are rabid actions to prevent the language from dying...they've begun retreats for children and adults where Tlingit speaking is the only language allowed, and they've also begun to immerse it into schools. My duty to my players on this year's Hoonah High School Volleyball team was to bring to the forefront their heritage, and make them proud of it. For the first time, a high school team performed their traditional song and dance during competition....and it was MY TEAM! We celebrated our heritage for warm-ups and team unity, and IT WORKED....the girls were never more proud of who they were, as the day we began celebrating.....what a gratifying feeling...so, a few sayings....

1. Aat Tlein Gunalcheesh (ah-t-tlayne Goona-lth-cheesh) - Thank you very much

2. Wasaa Iyatee (waa-suh-ee-yuh-tee)- How are you doing?

Those ought to get you started Sharon.....until then, practice your Tlingit and study up on it however you can.....you just might enlighten some of my people up here.......

Hey Cruisin Gomer - It's good to finally meet you. Your wife Sharon was a great ambassador for you, and I'll be sure to look into those Moccasins for you. I'll get some prices, and possible materials that can be used to create those.......you know, even though I live in Alaska, I still enjoy any bit of material that may be written on Alaska...I like to check for accuracy and promotion...strange, but enjoyable....well Gomer, I'll be sure to get you quotes atleast by next week....

Hi Marilyn - Great to hear from you! The distance from Icy Strait Point (again, that name is fairly new to us....we've always known it as "the cannery"- is 1.5 miles. It's a nice walk that takes you along the waterside of PortFrederick and next to cliffsides on the land side. It's a nice walk, and you're bound to see things others won't. There are great pieces of history along the way, and I'd be honored to share them in my next post, provided you remind me.

Friday is finally here, and I'm looking forward to the weekend with the family. The first games for BASKETBALL CRAZED Hoonah are this weekend when my nephew and his team and fmy ormer volleyball girls take on Skagway. Both Hoonah teams are undefeated to this point, and I hope it remains that way. Hoonah has long been a traditional powerhouse in southeast Alaska basketball, and my dad continues to tell me stories of making 150 - 200 mile trips on Seine fishing boats to play basketball games against Ketchikan in a gym with a woodstove in the corner...so they always had to watch out for that stove......basketball is truly part of our history.

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and nobody gets headaches tomorrow (you know what I mean)!

GUNALCHEESH!!!!!

Koo Hook

Archived