Explorations Cafe - Books

Krazy Kruizers

I am wondering if any new books are ever added to the collection?? On our last few cruises, we saw the same books in all the libraries. And we know some authors have written new books but they weren't on the ship.

Any thoughts from those of you who love to sit and read and watch the ocean go by??

KK:

I was pretty impressed with the selection on the Noordam - I didn't notice any really new releases (like in the past month or so) but there were quite a few popular titles - I know I checked out a James Patterson on the inaugural voyage that I hadn't seen yet in many stores.

I have always found the literary section of the dam ships to have an extensive catalog of fiction, non-fiction and reference books on the high seas. They may not be quite as up to date as your local library, but I feel they do an excellent job. I always leave my books behind which help add to the collections in the swap areas ( book swapping you guys!)

DH was very disappointed when we wasn't able to find anything that he had already read before.

We shall see what happens in the future.

Wow! He couldn't find anything? He must read an awful lot.

While it's true ... the books aren't the latest releases, I didn't have any problem at all finding good books in the Explorations Cafe on my 30-day cruise last January on the Amsterdam. And ... even if the book is not a new release ... if I haven't read it yet, it's new to me, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Many authors who cruise HAL will make a donation of their publications to the ship. Sometimes the staff simply doesn't understand that the donation is NOT for the book swap but for the permanent collection (that happened to the books that I donated to the Oosterdam on my first cruise aboard her; I fixed it when I was back aboard her this January). I don't know if any of my book donations survived the conversion of the Libraries to the Explorations Cafe aboard the S and R ships, but I would imagine so.

HAL does make some purchases of some specific books, particularly updating travel guides to various regions of the world where the ship is normally cruising. However, HAL doesn't have a large budget to fund many purchases after the initial stocking of the library. I have also been made to understand that a small amount is budgeted to make updates and replace worn out books during one of the dry or wet docks every few years.

Do they have audiobooks? I listen to a lot of books when I am walking - and I walk 1-1 1/2 hours a day. So for my 15 day cruise and 2 days in San Diego before and after.....I will have to bring at least 4 audiobooks with me. Plus my regular books and my knitting!!!!

DH reads a lot!! Expecially at home. He goes through 2 -3 books a week sometimes.

Wow! That is a lot of reading. I have had periods when I've gone through that many books in a week, but it's certainly not consistent. If I'm particularly busy, I can go three months without reading one good book. :( That's why on a cruise I love curling up with a good book and getting lost in it. Fortunately, for me, the Explorations Cafe always had something that could interest me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I also read 2-3 books a week, but I found several books to read while on the Rotterdam in July. I donated the books that I brought and I noticed that the hardback book I donated made it into the Rotterdam collection. They had one shelf of audio books to borrow.

Kryos: How can you be expected to read them when you spend your time writing them! I just finished re-reading your book. It's great. BTW, I get 10 books from the library every other week. Read em too!

I did not realize Rita was published. Could I have the name of her book, please.

Kryos: How can you be expected to read them when you spend your time writing them! I just finished re-reading your book. It's great. BTW, I get 10 books from the library every other week. Read em too!

You are so kind, Kakalina. Thank you. I'm only glad you enjoyed it. Coming from someone who does as much reading as you, your words are truly a compliment and I appreciate them.

Yes, blue skies is a skydiver's greeting. It means may the skies be blue so that you can jump. If the skies are cloudy and overcast, unless you are willing to do only a hop 'n pop (hop out of the airplane and pop open the parachute immediately) you can't jump. The FAA doesn't permit jumping through clouds. Hence, the greeting "blue skies."

Of course, I say the FAA "doesn't permit" jumping through clouds ... but that doesn't say it doesn't occur. Trust me, you've never lived until you've fallen through a big ole cloud ... especially when there's a rainbow reflected on the upper edges of it. Absolutely amazing ... almost a "come to Jesus" moment.

Blue skies!

--rita

Archived