NCL Cancellation Policies and Penalties

Arlington22207

NCL states their cancellation policies fairly clearly on their website:

http://www.ncl.com/more/terms.htm#cancellation

We're considering a 12-day mediterranean cruise, so if we cancel up to 46 days in advance, we lose our deposit as a "Cancellation Fee."

However, several friends (and one TA, in fact) who purport to be savvy cruisers claim that they have never heard such a thing, and that as long as you cancel before final payment you get your deposit back.

It seems obvious to me from their website that this is not that case. Is this a new policy, or is this non-standard in comparison to other cruiselines perhaps?

I've cruised on a number a lines and based upon the length of cruise the cancellation with full refund has always been that far out for a 12 day cruise. In fact it is not uncommon for some really lengthy cruises (21+ days) to have a 61 day cancellation policy.

It sounds to me that either your T/A friend has either never fully read (or understood) the various cancellation policies or only has a knowledge about the shorter length cruises (less than 9 days).

It's not new and it's not uncommon.

The very website that you refer to states that Final Payments are due 75 days prior to sailing, so I would imagine that if you cancel 46 days prior you would forfeit your deposit. I believe your "savvy cruisers" friends may not know when final payment is due.

Just for comparison's sake:

Carnival (12+ days, Europe)

If you cancel 56 to 90 days before sailing, you lose your deposit.

Royal Caribbean (8+ nights)

If you cancel 30 to 69 days before sailing, you lose your deposit.

Princess

If you cancel 57 to 74 days before sailing, you lose your deposit.

So, the policies do vary, but it's clearly standard industry practice that you will lose your deposit if you cancel fairly close to the sailing date.

NCL states their cancellation policies fairly clearly on their website:

http://www.ncl.com/more/terms.htm#cancellation

We're considering a 12-day mediterranean cruise, so if we cancel up to 46 days in advance, we lose our deposit as a "Cancellation Fee."

However, several friends (and one TA, in fact) who purport to be savvy cruisers claim that they have never heard such a thing, and that as long as you cancel before final payment you get your deposit back.

It seems obvious to me from their website that this is not that case. Is this a new policy, or is this non-standard in comparison to other cruiselines perhaps?

Final payment day is 75 days in advance, or 90 days in advance if your cruise falls on a holiday. Therefore 46 days in advance is AFTER final payment.

Archived