Food etiquette

CPCruiser4Life

I am a young professional going on a cruise with soon to be wife on our honeymoon on the CB during the month of July. Be her first cruise, my third.

We signed up for late traditional. I am debating whether or not we need a table for 2 or a large table.

I am the type of guy who orders 3 shrimp cocktails everyday for appetizer and 4 lobster tails(or other entrees). Is this normal? Am I going to get weird looks?

I love to eat, and I take advantage of all the food my stomach can tolerate.

How hard is it to get a table for 2 for late traditional seating?

What is "CB"?

Nobody will look at you strangely. On Carnival, for instance, you can order as many of any item that you choose, probably the same on any cruiseline. There is no breach of etiquette there. I often have two appetizers if I can't decide, as well as prime rib AND lobster tail on Formal Night. Nobody will blink an eye. Only if you scoff down your food will you get any 'looks'. LOL

As far as your dining assignment, your request was for second early seating. If you don't get this, see the Maitre d' and request a change. Tables-for-two are there, but not very many of them. Much better (to me) to sit at the largest table possible - the more folks, the livlier the conversation.

I am a young professional going on a cruise with soon to be wife on our honeymoon on the CB during the month of July. Be her first cruise, my third.

We signed up for late traditional. I am debating whether or not we need a table for 2 or a large table.

I am the type of guy who orders 3 shrimp cocktails everyday for appetizer and 4 lobster tails(or other entrees). Is this normal? Am I going to get weird looks?

It sounds like you need a table for 8, just for the two of you with all the dishes you're going to order! :eek: :D

We all love to eat. Ordering 3 app's and 4 main courses (plus dessert, I'll assume) is not about enjoying food and is not "normal". It's about other issues you have.

We all indulge a bit on a cruise - have an extra dessert sometimes or perhaps an extra portion of a really favorite food when it's served. There are many opportinity's on a cruiseship to nibble and snack more than we often do at home and many people eat things they normally stay away from when at home. (those foo foo drinks can do me in!) But your plan to put as much food down your throat as your stomach will tolerate has nothing to do with a love of eating.

What does your future bride think of this when you two go to a regular restaurant? If it doesn't bother her there, then I'm sure it won't bother her on the ship either.

As someone dining with you, I would not enjoy watching a tablemate eat like this. However, since the waiter will "bring it on" if you ask (hey, he wants his tip!) it would be my problem and so up to me to ask for another table.

This is a cruise and one of the perks of a cruise is that you can order as much or as little as you want. Go ahead and order several things for each course if that will make you happy. Don't worry about funny looks from other people at all. I never think it's odd - heck, I am a rather tiny woman and I will do it on spring roll night.

When I sailed on the CB I literally ordered two app's on the first night and it was like I had let the rest of the people at my table in on 'a secret.' After that every night we had multiple things coming to the table. People realize this is their chance to try new foods and enjoy it - would you really order a frog leg out?

Bon Voyage and Happy Eating!

People realize this is their chance to try new foods and enjoy it - would you really order a frog leg out?

Bon Voyage and Happy Eating!

I totally agree.

It's an opportunity to try something you're not sure you'll like. And on a cruise, you don't have to pay extra for it if you order something else. What's not to like? :)

But I don't think this is the kind of adventurous eating the OP has in mind.

I have seen many people order two app or steak and lobster...but I will agree that 4 lobster tails is a bit much. If I saw that I would think it rather rude. I realize that food is included, but I still think that it is within reason. If the poster normally orders 4 dinners and pays for them, than I guess this would be considered noraml behavior, however, I doubt this is the case. I would be extremely embarrassed if someone I ate with did this...just my humble opinion.

We order a couple of appetizers or dishes we like and share them. That way we get to taste several things but not a lot of food gets wasted. I can't see ordering a dish just because it's there or because you want to get your money's worth. All that wasted food makes the price of the cruise go up eventually.

Just my opinion - please no yelling:( I am very sensitive:o

CP -

Interesting - the first way you describe yourself is a “young professional”. I’m not sure what that has to do with your ordering and eating habits. Would you order or eat in this manner if you were with your boss or in an interview.

Order a second appetizer or entree - no one will care. Over ordering for the sake of gorging is a different matter. Again – no one will care – but why would anyone want to eat themselves sick.

A cruise is a wonderful opportunity to enjoy dining and to try new foods not training for the Coney Island hot dog eating contest.

As for the table size - we've had them all (2,4,6,10). It is nice to meet new folks - on the other hand we've had some less than desirable experiences.

Marci

Marci

I found some of the replies to this poster insensitive and upseting. Eating two app, entres and desserts, as most cruisers seem to do is not exactly "normal" either and is in most cases a waste of food. I'm sure it would raise an eye at most restauraunts. At least if he eats all three lobster tails they are not going to waste. Everyone has issues.. yours may not be as apparent.

I have no problem at all with how much anyone orders (as a two dessert a night eater myself) - just hate when people order a whole lot of stuff and then don't eat it. If most of it is eaten, then no one should have an issue (except, perhaps, his new wife who will probably have to one day live with an obese spouse).

Hello, I am back. It was interesting to see all your replies. Thanks for all the replies. I was SLIGHTLY EXAGGERATING when I posted my original post. What I meant by young professional is the fact that I am still young and have a metabolism that goes 100 mph. I use to be a wrestler and have quite the appetite.

Well, thanks for all the input!

BTW, I eat everything I am served...I never order them all at a time...the only time food is wasted is if I do not like it.

thakns again

I think it would be vulgar for me to order a bunch of meals just to sample a bite or two and let the rest go to waste, but by the same token, if I ordered something to try it and found it really unpleasant, I wouldn't force myself to finish it, and would have no problem ordering something else instead. :o

Probably so, but not many folks order two or three of everything in a restaurant - the cost factor, y'know.:D

He never said he orders two or three of everything on the menu. And I have heard many people here stating they order three desserts and two meals.. It's not that different.

I was not referring to you, however, when I said the responses were insensitive. I was referring to other's claiming they would not eat at the table with him and he was not "normal." Normal is subjective.

It's your vacation and if you want to enjoy a couple appetizers and 4 lobster tails, then go for it. You were blessed with a fast metabolism, enjoy it while you can.

We live near an all you can eat lobster place and I have seen people put away over 10 lobsters in one sitting.

I will not be looking at you with disgust, just envy over the fact that you can burn it off so fast. If only I was cursed with that!!;)

If people don't like that fact that you can eat more then them and what they deem "normal", then it is their problem. They shouldn't concern themselves with what a stranger is eating. It's your body, your arteries and your pocketbook.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!

Thanks again for the replies....

In regards to abbreviations....Im also clueless

CB = Caribbean Princess

CP = Coral Princess

KP = Crown princess

Im still trying to learn what's up with the "D" in front of H [DH] somehow means husband, but still have no clue exactly what the D stands for

Is their a link for defining all these abbreviations

Those Princess abbreviations make absolutely no sense - unless you're on the Princess board - where I guess they all know. However, on a general cruising board like this one - it would be better to spell it out so we all know.

The "D" is dear/darling...

DH - dear husband

DD - dear daughter

DS - dear son

DMIL - dear mother in law

....etc.

SO - significant other

OBC - onboard credit

There are lots of others; just can't think of them right now. If you find others you don't know, just ask.:)

Archived