Aranui 3 - Would this cruise be suitable for 80 year old?

My mother and I do at least 1 trip a year. We just returned from Ireland, and before that, we were in Costa Rica. Trying to find something for next July, 2007. Our Ireland and CR trip were very nice, but I didn't have much time to myself. Cruising is nice because it allows some time to ourselves. So, I'm interested in the Aranui 3 cruise. Would this trip be suitable for my mom? Are there a lot of stairs to climb? She can manage fairly well right now, but it isn't easy either. Has anybody seen what the dorm rooms are like? There's quite a jump in cost between those and the next catagory up.

Thanks much

Carrie

Hi, Carrie - I was on the Aranui 3 last October. There is an elevator on the ship so that shouldn't present any problem at all. The only time your Mother might have difficulty climbing is getting off the boat onto docks or the launches to shore where there is a stair ramp to climb. Good railings on either side to hang onto though and sometimes it the water was rough. I did visit the dorm area and it actually looked quite nice to me. Each person had a bunk and there were quite nice bathroom facilities and a storage area for each person although that was quite small. I don't remember whether there were upper and lower bunks. There is a fair amount of walking once you get on shore to visit some of the villages but sometimes they had vehicles to transport you if you didn't want to walk.

So good to find someone who's been on this cruise! I've been checking out several other cruise possibilities, but this is one that keeps coming back. I've wanted to do this for some time now. The only thing is the cost. But I believe the cost also includes the excursions, wine and tips? Is that correct? I love the fact that it's casual - I dress up for work, so throwing on a pair of shorts or sarong is my idea of a great vacation. So tempting to consider the dorm rooms, but I don't think my mom would really appreciate it. What category were you in? Also, was there a platform on the stern where there were watersport activities? If so, do you recall what sort of activities they had?

I think I'd enjoy just casting a line off the stern and see what sort of fish I could catch.

I know there would probably be some activities my mom couldn't participate in, but overall... would you recommend this trip?

We both have done several 'traditional' cruises, but we really prefer less 'fluff', glitz and dress codes.

Thanks so much

Carrie

Hi, again - if you go back on the board to April 1st and 6th, there are a few posts which you will be interested in reading. To answer a few of your questions - yes, the wine and tips are included and the shore excursions. The platform was not being used when I was on board as they said it was "too dangerous". You will have time on shore to swim and snorkel although the snorkeling is not that great in that area of the Pacific. The cruise I was on was about 75% French to 25% English. Unfortunately, there tended to be a division but I made some fantastic friends. I had a balcony cabin overlooking the swimming pool two decks down - I could have almost taken a dive into it. I loved the balcony but if I were to do it over I would prefer a balcony cabin on either side of the ship. For the length of the cruise I think it is a reasonable price and I am sure you will both love the trip.

Thanks so much for the information. I think we'd love this trip too. Also debating between the Holland Am. Westerdam to the Med. or Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas. I'd like to avoid kids as much as possible (I work with them daily, so I like to get away from them while vacationing).

By the way, last summer, we took the Norwegian Coastal Voyage trip. Fantastic, and I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who prefers the non-traditional cruise experience.

Thanks again!

Carrie

Wrote a lengthy note to you earlier but my skills did not get it online.

We are 79 and 80 and took this trip May 20 this year. If your mother is even reasonably maneuverable this should be ok. Doctor aboard (usually French speaking as they change each trip). The elevator is fine, the gangplank is a nuisance but has good rails and the wonderful crew will, if necessary, lift your mother in and out of the small boats, and will always lend a hand and watch over her. The heat and humidity is a problem (almost did me in) and needs to be put into consideration.

We have claustrophobia and therefore had to have one of the staterooms with large window and "french" balcony. This turned out to be a plus for us as had refrigerator. Also the so-called balcony was about 9 inches deep and dh was able to hang out with his GPS for fixes on his chart and - occasionally - get radio Australia for a news fix.

Our trip was broken up into English-speaking, about 1/2, which included the Kiwis and Aussies, and French speaking, which included about 40 Germans. The food was fine, even good upon occasion. Wine served lunch and dinner. Heavy on fish and some (mostly the English-speaking group) wished there were more beef and lamb. This did not effect us as - used to just snacking at night and going to bed early with the birds - we never made dinner! Sundown was about 6 and dinner didn't even start until 7:30. We would take a drink to sunset - saw two green flashes - and then go to bed.

There were two lecturers aboard on our trip, usually only one but were married. Other entertainment consisted, usually of crew (including Captain) playing local instruments after dinner with occasional dancing or input from passengers. Hated to miss this but age tells.

This is a VERY inexpensive trip for what it gives. Tipping is not encouraged in French Polynesia and the Aranui observes this, unlike other real cruise lines. Unless you want to scuba, helicopter, or take private tours, all will be provided. Several blocks of walking may be required at most ports but imagine this can be circumvented, if necessary, with prior arrangement and $.

Your bottle of water can be refilled at several water fountains aboard to save money. Bring your own hootch - they don't care (don't buy in French Polynesia - too expensive). Be sure to have enough sunscreen, toothpaste, etc. The ship's store is costly. Souvenirs available at all stops. Many of the archeological sites have been restored and are, aside from the scenery, really the feature attraction. They are hard to get to usually though.

The crew fishes often from the stern and they are very friendly so imagine they would be pleased to have you join them.

This was our second Aranui (#1 in 1985) and we used Freighter World Cruises in Pasadena and were very happy with them. I had first contacted the Aranui off their web site (San Jose?) and they said stay with approved travel agent.

Enough blather for now - hope you go and have wonderful time. Also hope this makes it to Cruise Critic.

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful information. I have to ask... What is 'hootch'? I'm assuming it's liquor. We've been to French Polynesia several times now - usually in July. The weather has been very nice, and July is a good time for us to travel. We're also looking into a Mediterranean cruise, but I'm hearing the temps can be in the 90's or 100 - so it's looking like that's out. I'd like to check into Fiji - we've never been, and I've always been interested in the Blue Lagoon or Captain Cook cruises. Decisions, decisions !Any other advice on possible CASUAL trips??

My mom is fairly active, so I really doubt she'd have too many problems, but she has had a Polynesian lift her up and put her in the boat before, and we got a kick out of that.

So tempting to consider the dorm rooms - they'd be fine with me, but I think my mom would have problems there.

Sounds like you didn't make it to many dinners. But did you happen to notice how dressy they were? The one thing that appeals to me most about this cruise is that it appears to be very casual. What sort of outfits did you see at dinner? I was hoping nice shorts and top or a sarong would do.

Thanks much for all your help.

Carrie

Hi, Carrie - about the Blue Lagoon cruises, I have been on two cruises. One was on the newer ship and the other was on the older ship which does the longer trip (I am assuming they still do it). If I had a choice, I would go for that rather than the Aranui. I love to snorkel and it was very good but perhaps you wouldn't be interested. Other than that, I adore the Fijian people and the attention you will get on the ships is fantastic. You will even be able to do some fishing at least on the smaller ship we could. It has been 5 years since my last cruise on the newer ship and longer since being on the older ship and my memory isn't that terrific so if you have any questions, I might not be able to answer them.

dcsam -

In my wildest dreams cannot imagine anyone on the Aranui caring what you wear, when. If nude, maybe. Perhaps if wearing wet bathing suit to dinner other diners might object.

We took the Norwegian ferry up and down in summer, 02, and really liked it.

Yes, hootch is liquor. I always travel with a bottle as I often enjoy my own drink and most ships, particularly the type we go on, don't have my brand.

In mid 90's we took 7 day Captain Cook cruise up to the top of the Yasawas as we wanted to get to a special village where the chief had been nice to us. We took an old set of Encyclopedia Brittanica's to the school. Loved the small ship which was Aussie owned and run. Mostly Kiwis and Aussies, there was one other US couple. No elevator but ship very small so stairs, at least then, not a problem.

One caveat - for some reason our credit cards (3 major) did not work in the ATM's in French Polynesia. They were readily taken in expensive hotels, restaurants and shops. Charging is allowed on the Aranui but no cash given out. Jan Prince is WRONG - banks are NOT open on Saturdays. We got in Thurs nite, went to bank on Fri. Bank of Tahiti only takes Visa. Bank of Polynesia gave dh some money - I refused to climb their stairs (am now sorry). During the trip on Aranui itself NO BANK, anywhere would let any non Euro people have money. "Our computers are down", "we are out of money".

The FPF is pegged to the Euro.

When we got back to Papeete it was Saturday, we were due to leave Tues nite. Monday was some kind of holiday. We were in the Tiare Tahiti Hotel which does not run to a restaurant or change services. We could only go to fancy places where we could charge. Can not remember ever being so frustated, or being so stupid re available cash

Know you will love the trip..

• 1 year later...

Hello Carrie,

I have been re-reading the June edition of "Maris Freighter Cruises" magazine (which comes out monthly) and there is a full itinerary in it of the 15 day cruise on the Aranui 3.

The Standard A cabins look nice, two single beds with private facilities and shower$3,675 per person plus port and vessel fees (286-343 p.p.)

I should think that life on board for the maximum 200 passenges would be great, but I dont know what the stairs are that may be involved between decks.

They go ashore at most of the Islands and I guess that would need some manouverability.

The fare includes three meals with wine, picnics and guided excursions.

You would have to add airfares to Papeete and return and maybe a night or two before and maybe after.

I still think it sounds like a great deal, and I am considering it for 2009.

There is also one cruise each year on which you can get a seniors discount.

May I suggest you contact Maris Travel, 1320 State Route 9, Champlain, NY 12919. They may be able to let you have a back copy of the june 2007 magazine, and perhaps tell advise you on the suitability of the cruise for your 80 year old mother.

This is the second time tonight I have given information about Maris Travel, but I am in no way connected to them, just so interested in doing cruising on working ships.

My husband and I are due to return from London to Sydney on a French owned container ship next September and we will be stopping at Papeete after coming through the Panama Canal. It's a long shot, but I hope to catch a glimpse of Aranui 3.

Regards

• 2 years later...
Hello Carrie,

I have been re-reading the June edition of "Maris Freighter Cruises" magazine (which comes out monthly) and there is a full itinerary in it of the 15 day cruise on the Aranui 3.

The Standard A cabins look nice, two single beds with private facilities and shower$3,675 per person plus port and vessel fees (286-343 p.p.)

I should think that life on board for the maximum 200 passenges would be great, but I dont know what the stairs are that may be involved between decks.

They go ashore at most of the Islands and I guess that would need some manouverability.

The fare includes three meals with wine, picnics and guided excursions.

You would have to add airfares to Papeete and return and maybe a night or two before and maybe after.

I still think it sounds like a great deal, and I am considering it for 2009.

There is also one cruise each year on which you can get a seniors discount.

May I suggest you contact Maris Travel, 1320 State Route 9, Champlain, NY 12919. They may be able to let you have a back copy of the june 2007 magazine, and perhaps tell advise you on the suitability of the cruise for your 80 year old mother.

This is the second time tonight I have given information about Maris Travel, but I am in no way connected to them, just so interested in doing cruising on working ships.

My husband and I are due to return from London to Sydney on a French owned container ship next September and we will be stopping at Papeete after coming through the Panama Canal. It's a long shot, but I hope to catch a glimpse of Aranui 3.

Regards

Abarb:

This is my first venture on Cruice Critic. We are interested in crusing on the Aranui3. did you sail with her? Also, the travel company you referred to - Maris - do they specialize in freighter and other out of the ordinary cruises? Thanks. Whalelover

• 8 months later...

I'm booked on the Aranui 3 for February 2012. After reading all of the posts, I hope the weather will be okay but I was bent on getting to somewhere warm in either Jan or Feb. Have you got any information on a reasonably priced hotel in or near Papeete. We'll be flying in one day before the cruise departure so don't need anything fancy for one night. We've been to Papeete before so we only want to stay the one night. Our flight into Papeete will arrive early morning the day before the cruise departure.

• 5 months later...

Hi, we stayed at the Mandarin Hotel which is in a very convenient location. Since it is for a short time, it is ok. One of the problems is the roosters who don't seem to know when it is night and when it is day.

We are traveling on the Aranui for the 3rd time in February. We purchased our tickets through Travltips and will be staying at the Sofitel Resort on either end of the trip.

We love the Aranui.

Archived