Anyone bringing Liquor boxes back since the "no liquids" ban?

cengelbe

We are frequent cruisers, my wife and I usually like to pickup a box with liquors from one of the duty free shops and bring it back on the plane with us. In light of the recent restrictions on liquids and not trusting placing the box in my luggage. Has anyone run into this problem? Are the liquor stores offering to ship the liquors back home for you? Are the airlines letting you check the boxes of liquor? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, cruising on the Freedom of the Seas 9/10/06

The airlines will allow you to check liquor boxes like a regular piece of luggage but I wouldn't recommend that - every one we saw at baggage claim held broken bottles of alcohol.

We just packed them in our checked luggage. They were packed pretty tightly in the liquor box and then we made sure that they were really padded with clothes on all sides. It made it back fine. If your suitcase is fairly sturdy and you pack them well they should be fine.

Never again will I trust the durability of those bottles you purchase in places like St. Thomas. While in the process of checking in our luggage at the airport, we noticed liquid dripping from the carton with 4 bottles. We had to open the container and get the unharmed bottles out. (The broken bottle was some kind of rum cream very popular in the islands and probably bottled in very cheap glass to save money) We had to pick through all the broken glass. We put the remaining bottles in a plastic bag which we got from one of the shops. This was before the TSA current ruling.....but what a mess. I was kneeling on the floor and didn't realize that my khaki slacks were in the rum cream that was running everywhere.

We have lugged liquor home from Europe many a time when we wanted some unique item.....only to go into the liquor dept. of a market at home and find the same item on the shelf.

Sometimes the savings are just not worth it!

sorry, I think the savings is worth it on most items. I can remember being in Spain, Carlos Brandy $4.00 a bottle (20 plus years ago) USA, $25.00. This is the story with all liquors we buy. My feeling is the liquor stores, on the islands, if they haven't already will start packing the boxes even better so they can be shipped. As for not worth it, I will say, after arriving home, lugging the booze each time, I do say: not worth it, but I still do it and will continue to. LOL

NMnita

As someone who used to work in the Baggage Service Office of a major US airline, I implore you NOT to check bottles of liquor in your suitcase. No matter how well you think you've packed it, remember that TSA is likely to go through your bag and do a substandard job repacking it. It WILL break. And it will not only get liquor all over the inside of your bag, but it will get all over other peoples' bags as well, and that's not fair to them. Just don't do it.

Archived