Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

After seeing the map of the island, it doesn't seem to be 30 miles around in the widest of circles. What time is the best for going to Maho to see the planes (Fri Oct. 8th)? What time are the rhino rider excursions? Where do the rhino riders leave from? How long does it take to go through the butterfly farm? Thanks, Alan.

Snoopy LeoGirl,

Your insights have been very helpful! We're thinking of renting a scooter on the island...we heard it was kind of unsafe, but we also heard the same thing about Cozumel and riding around the island was one of the highlights of our trip. Do you recommend this?

We will be in St. Maarten in about 2 weeks. I'm have a heck of a time deciding what to do there! I've heard the shopping is pretty good, and while I'd like to make sure I have "enough" time for this, I don't want to spend the entire time there shopping.

Any info on how much time is "enough" for shopping? Please keep in mind I will have a non-shopping enthusiast husband with me :)

This really depends on how much you actually want to shop for but a good amount of time for shopping on Front Street would be about 4 hours. We have sooo many stores so I think you will need that much of time -- minimum. Maybe your husband won't be that bored because we have stores that sell practically everything you can think of! LOL!

Happy Shopping Adventures!

After seeing the map of the island, it doesn't seem to be 30 miles around in the widest of circles. What time is the best for going to Maho to see the planes (Fri Oct. 8th)? What time are the rhino rider excursions? Where do the rhino riders leave from? How long does it take to go through the butterfly farm? Thanks, Alan.

I don't know anything about Rhino excursions...sorry...I have never heard of it so I am hoping that maybe someone who has done this before, can help you out. St.Maarten is 36 miles in area...very small. The best time to go to Maho to see the planes would be between 1 p.m. till about 3 p.m. because this is the time when we have most of the large plane (American Airlines, Air France, Delta, Continental, KLM, etc.) take-offs and landings. Both take-offs and landings will be a great experience for you because the planes are sooo close to you. Please don't go after 3 p.m. because you will only see tiny planes that travel to the nearby islands.

Snoopy LeoGirl,

Your insights have been very helpful! We're thinking of renting a scooter on the island...we heard it was kind of unsafe, but we also heard the same thing about Cozumel and riding around the island was one of the highlights of our trip. Do you recommend this?

I think renting a scooter is probably something you should do because it sounds like a fun way to explore the island but please be extremely careful and keep your eyes and ears fixated on the traffic. I think you will have a great time doing this, and you can skip through all the traffic which is the best part! Have fun!

Thanks for all your terrific information. What's the weather like in the ladder part of January?

Dan

Pretty much year-round, we have the same weather. It should be about 80-85 degrees, and in the night or early morning, it should be about 78-80 degrees. Sorry, but we're pretty much stuck with pretty hot weather year round. :o

I think what you have done for us tourists is wonderful. I wanted to post up this website for people, seems to answer alot of interests. http://www.saint-martin-activities.com/qwerty/index.htm?c89.htm&1

I think the harley rental is a great idea. I think driving the whole island would be wonderful. My question is,, are there areas to avoid? Is it safe (with the exception of standard traffic and safety) to cruise the island. I know if you go off the beaten path in Jamaica, you may never come out.

Also do you recommend using cash or credit cards when shopping?

I don't think this combined thread works very well!

With all of the questions lumped together under one subject, it's very difficult to find the subject matter 'title' that people may be looking for.

There was a thread over on the Carnival board that tried to do the same thing, and I found that it ended up basically useless.

I want to help people, too, but if they pose a simple question in the title of their post, it's a lot easier for me to find and respond to than if it's buried in a single long thread like this has become.

Still love St. Maarten after 23 years!

I think what you have done for us tourists is wonderful. I wanted to post up this website for people, seems to answer alot of interests. http://www.saint-martin-activities.com/qwerty/index.htm?c89.htm&1

I think the harley rental is a great idea. I think driving the whole island would be wonderful. My question is,, are there areas to avoid? Is it safe (with the exception of standard traffic and safety) to cruise the island. I know if you go off the beaten path in Jamaica, you may never come out.

Also do you recommend using cash or credit cards when shopping?

No problem, I am so glad to help as much as I can. Well, I think if you rent a Harley and want to cruise around, you should have no problem no matter where you go. Just one thing, try to avoid areas where you see no people at all. Also, don't cruise around at night in quiet areas. As for cash or credit cards, doesn't really matter. Choice is up to you though I can tell you that we prefer cash. ;)

I don't think this combined thread works very well!

With all of the questions lumped together under one subject, it's very difficult to find the subject matter 'title' that people may be looking for.

There was a thread over on the Carnival board that tried to do the same thing, and I found that it ended up basically useless.

I want to help people, too, but if they pose a simple question in the title of their post, it's a lot easier for me to find and respond to than if it's buried in a single long thread like this has become.

Still love St. Maarten after 23 years!

This isn't easy do but I try my best and its going okay so far. LOL! :D

We'll be there in November. We want to go to Orient Beach in the morning, Sunset Beach Bar for lunch and to watch the planes arriving and departing. Will we be close enough there to see the planes? Also, are there plenty of taxis at both locations? Don't want to get stranded. LOL

Wow snoopy, thanks for your help for everyone with the detailed answers. What kind of work do you do? If you work for a tour company, I'm sure many of us would look at booking something through you or trying to support you if you are in an area of work where we could do so (ie even restaurant, etc.). Just curious.

I have a specialized shopping question. I collect carved masks from all of my vacations. A cruise is going to be interesting as there is so many different ports I will have plenty of locations to collect from. Do you have any suggestions for stores that might sell items like this? I try to collect non-painted carved masks, but pretty much any idea's for stores that might sell these kinds of items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help on the board. I will be checking this thread often for other idea's of things to do while visiting the island.

We'll be there in November. We want to go to Orient Beach in the morning, Sunset Beach Bar for lunch and to watch the planes arriving and departing. Will we be close enough there to see the planes? Also, are there plenty of taxis at both locations? Don't want to get stranded. LOL

I think that if you want to do this, make sure that you leave Orient beach by 1 p.m. the latest so that you reach Maho by 1:30 p.m. The drive from Orient to Maho (Sunset) is about 20-30 minutes. This is the best time to go to Sunset to eat and watch planes. I think it will work well but just leave Orient by 1 and you should be fine. Taxi's are usually okay in Orient I think but if you don't find one, just ask around and someone can call a taxi for you if needed. Also, at Sunset, you can ask the bartender to call you one or just drop by Caravanserai Hotel which is literally 30 seconds away from Sunset and ask someone to call you a taxi.

Happy Cruisin' and enjoy the Caribbean sun.

Wow snoopy, thanks for your help for everyone with the detailed answers. What kind of work do you do? If you work for a tour company, I'm sure many of us would look at booking something through you or trying to support you if you are in an area of work where we could do so (ie even restaurant, etc.). Just curious.

I have a specialized shopping question. I collect carved masks from all of my vacations. A cruise is going to be interesting as there is so many different ports I will have plenty of locations to collect from. Do you have any suggestions for stores that might sell items like this? I try to collect non-painted carved masks, but pretty much any idea's for stores that might sell these kinds of items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help on the board. I will be checking this thread often for other idea's of things to do while visiting the island.

I don't work for tour operators or restaurants etc. I actually work with my dad and help my mom out at home. I am still pretty young (only 22) so I don't really have a permanent position or work for anyone other than with my dad. My dad owns a tourist business on Front Street though. And I love working there as I get to meet wonderful tourists (like you all here on CC) everyday.

Okay as for the masks, there are several places where I think you will be able to find masks and the like. There are lots of local stalls in the market behind the court house which have t-shirts, souvenirs, masks and other types of gifts. I think you might be able to find something there. If you can't find the court house, just ask anyone from any of the shops on Front Street and they will direct you towards it. Also, there is an African store somewhere on Front Street called Ikemba?!?! or something like that and it is close to either Levi's boutique, or close to a store called Just In Boutique. Anyone will be glad to tell you where this is. Located way down the street (Front Street). Its about a 15 minute walk from the pier across the Court House. I think you should be able to find it and I know for a fact that they sell masks there. I really hope you find what you are looking for.

Happy Mask Hunting! :D

No problem, glad to help everyone!

BTW, I will be away from July 23rd (this Friday) till August 13th (Friday) for 3 weeks.

We're going on our first cruise to Alaska and then will be touring Seattle, Vancouver and Miami (for the shopping!) :D

So, if you want me to answer more questions, post 'em soon otherwise I will reply when I get back home.

I'm still here though, and will reply to any other questions as long as you post them before Thursday morning.

Just a quick question if I could..Was wondering if pharmacies in St. Maarten sell antibiotics...(amoxicillin) over the counter without a prescription...I usually get some amoxicllin when we visit Mexico in the fall..this year mexico is not on our cruise ships itinerary.....just wondering if you know...thanks.............

Hello snoopy_leogirl!!

Thanks for all your G R E A T help. You are really awesome!!

Now my question: In your opinion, which beach is the most beautiful one (with white sand, clear water, no crowds)? I am looking for a picture-perfect beach, a beach most people dream about... LOL :-)

I would be very glad to receive your answer.

Kind regards,

Henning

Hello, Snoopy LeoGirl -

Thank you so much for your generous help! I particularly love large yellow gold earrings and wonder if any particular jewelry stores are known to have a better selection than other stores. Also, I adore jewelry (earrings, pendants, slides, bracelets) that have a Big Cat (lion, tiger, etc. - not little kitties lol!) motif; do you know of any stores that may have these?

Thank you.

Dolores

Just a quick question if I could..Was wondering if pharmacies in St. Maarten sell antibiotics...(amoxicillin) over the counter without a prescription...I usually get some amoxicllin when we visit Mexico in the fall..this year mexico is not on our cruise ships itinerary.....just wondering if you know...thanks.............

Well the problem with this is that our pharmacies sell American medications/antibiotics as well as mainly Dutch medicine. I am not sure that you will be able to find amoxicillin here because our doctors perscribe mainly Dutch medicine prescriptions to us and only sometimes, because we are used to asprin etc. we buy American antibiotics so I don't think that we keep a full stock/variety of all antibiotics. But if you get a chance, go ahead and try to find what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Hello snoopy_leogirl!!

Thanks for all your G R E A T help. You are really awesome!!

Now my question: In your opinion, which beach is the most beautiful one (with white sand, clear water, no crowds)? I am looking for a picture-perfect beach, a beach most people dream about... LOL :-)

I would be very glad to receive your answer.

Kind regards,

Henning

Glad to be able to help you... :D

As for your question, there are a few beaches on the island that I have been to that are close to perfect but that's as perfect as they get. The best picturesque beach that I have ever seen is in St.Thomas, Magens Bay which is absolutely breathtaking. On St.Maarten, the beaches are great but not as perfect as Magens Bay in St.Thomas. I think our best 2 beaches would have to be the one that is visible from La Samanna Hotel. Its in the French Lowlands, and this hotel is absolutely amazing! Celebs and famous people stay here because rooms start at least $800-$1,000 per night and I heard that their service is great. We went there once to visit the area and from the main restaurant, we could see the cliff below with a beach that looked simply divine: clear water, no crowds, clean sand, and beautiful. I don't know the name of the beach though. Also, on the French Side, I've heard that Friars Bay is a beautiful, very cozy, beach. But to be honest with you, almost every beach you visit here will not disappoint you at all.

Hope this helps.

Hello, Snoopy LeoGirl -

Thank you so much for your generous help! I particularly love large yellow gold earrings and wonder if any particular jewelry stores are known to have a better selection than other stores. Also, I adore jewelry (earrings, pendants, slides, bracelets) that have a Big Cat (lion, tiger, etc. - not little kitties lol!) motif; do you know of any stores that may have these?

Thank you.

Dolores

There are so many jewelry stores here and I am sure that you will find exactly what you are looking for. I am not a frequent jewelry shopper so I am not sure where you can find the large earrings and the cat jewelry but I will suggest one place where you might be able to find something which is Jewel Masters. It's located on Front Street and in DIVI Little Bay Resort. The one on Front Street is located across the street from Old Street and its right next to Polo Ralph Lauren. Hope you find what you are looking for but if you don't find it there, you will find it somewhere else because there are literally a hundred jewelry stores here on Front Street.

Happy Shopping!

Archived