running out of food

jd10367

Just curious has anyone ever been on a longer cruise with lots of sea days where the ship might have run out of something? Do they just order stuff to be picked up at the next port of call? People at work always ask me and I never know. I said I highly doubt cruises run out of anything.

Before they started charging at Johnny Rockets... they ran out of onion rings mid week very often. They would usually be able to get some from another RCI ship docked at the same port.

On our last cruise, they ran out of iced tea!!!!!! ( you know the premixed stuff.... they were not about to brew gallons and gallons with tea bags!!!!) It was the last night. We were a bit shocked when we could not have our iced tea with dinner.

On our last cruise, they ran out of iced tea!!!!!! ( you know the premixed stuff.... they were not about to brew gallons and gallons with tea bags!!!!) It was the last night. We were a bit shocked when we could not have our iced tea with dinner.

Couldn't you just ask for a cup of tea and a large glass of ice??? We often do that in restaurants that don't have iced tea in winter.

I remember watching one of those travel channel shows on cruise ships. I thought that they said that they had enough food on to last for double the length of the trip, just incase something were to happen.

I'm sure they would run out of things, however, I don't anyone would starve.

We were on a 44 day cruise and several of the large deliveries never showed up at the dock. They made arrangements for picking up supplies at the first port. For several days there was no lettuce, eggs, fresh fruit or fresh flowers. The pax on the whole were understanding but of course there are always those that make rude noises.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've NEVER seen REAL Cachaca on a ship! What brand was it?

The only thing they ran out of on the Mariner when I was on her last week was Cachaça, which meant no Caipirinhas! That was kind of a drag, but not worth complaining about!

-n8

There was a thread on the RCI board about a ship that was out of beer at the beginning of the cruise!! Not all beer, but many of the popular brands.

I don't think I've been on a cruise where they ran out of anything. Don't you think that would be a staff member's worst nightmare? Running out of food with all those glutonous, ravenous, knock-over-the-little-old-lady-to-get-to-the-buffet pax?

• 2 weeks later...

On a 15-day Panama Canal cruise on RCCL. By about the 4th day, when my wife asked for V8 juice, they said "sorry, we are out, will you take tomato juice instead?". So, she ordered tomato juice for several days running. Well, one day they said "sorry, out of tomato juice, would you accept V8?"

They must have found a case in the storage area, but never told anyone.

Oh yes, about 4 days from the end of the cruise, they were out of V8 AND tomato juice. They asked if we would rather have cranberry juice instead (!!). Guess they thought that it was red in color, so must be the same thing...

I was just on the Crown P. in Feb. and they ran out of Bud, :eek: I drank 4 bars dry of it. Which was 2 pints at each. They had gotten a delivery in St. Thomas the week before and everyone decided to drink it on that cruise. When we went to St. thomas, we saw 7 tractor trailers of food and beverage being loaded.

• 1 month later...

At the "virtual tour" (crew question and answer session) on NCL Sun, the head chef said they keep an extra two day supply of food onboard in case the ship was ever delayed. It made me wonder if the first two days of food served on each cruise has been on the ship for a week as they rotated the inventory.

Archived