Rough Seas out of New York (end of december)

ncldawn5

We are planning to go on the ncl dawn that is departing from new york in the end of december. Are the seas rough on the 1st night of the cruise? If it is, what should you take so you don't get seasick?

Thanx:)

Roll of the dice like any time of the year. Take a little Bonine the night before you leave and the first couple nights until you are comfortable.

You could see this.

1220wave.jpg.b4d99067efefb914902a57168c399872.jpg

Rough seas are mostly caused by high winds. Storms have high winds, which is why rough seas often follow storms. But you can also have high winds on a sunny, clear day. On any day of a year, you can have high winds and rough seas. There is no perfect time to cruise.

Cape Hatteras lies approximately half way between New York City and Miami. It's exposed to the sea from three sides, so wind conditions and storms at this point make a fairly good representation of NY to Florida cruises.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/north-carolina/cape-hatteras/

Excerpts:

Cape Hatteras Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual

Avg. Max Temp. 52.4 53.4 59.6 67.0 74.4 80.8 84.6 84.7 80.7 72.4 64.7 56.8 69.3

Avg. Min Temp. 36.7 37.6 43.6 50.8 59.6 67.5 71.8 72.0 67.6 58.3 49.3 41.1 54.7

Precipitation 5.3 4.1 4.3 3.5 4.0 4.1 5.0 6.0 5.3 5.0 5.0 4.5 56.1

Avg. Wind Speed 11.9 12.0 11.9 11.7 10.7 10.6 10.0 9.5 10.4 11.0 10.8 11.3 11.0

Days with Precipitation 0.01 inch or More

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual

11.0 10.0 11.0 8.0 10.0 9.0 12.0 11.0 9.0 9.0 9.0 10.0 120

I really don't see any one month being wetter and windier than others, do you? In fact, the month (August) with the least wind has the most rain. I bet that would surprise most.......

Haven't cruised out of New York, but experienced the highest seas yet in Dec. in the Carribbean - 28 ft. Cruised twice in Sept. & skirted 4 different tropical storms. After that decided to cruise in Nov. & Dec. to avoid hurricane season. Can still encounter high seas, but hopefully no tropical storms or hurricanes!

I always cruise out of New York and like Shore Guy said it’s the luck of the draw. I have noticed going south out of New York the fist night can be a little rough. I myself nor my wife have ever needed any thing for sea sickness but we did notice a lot of people with little dots behind their ear. I think the purser’s desk provided them. Good luck I hope you have calm seas and enjoy your cruise.

We are planning to go on the ncl dawn that is departing from new york in the end of december. Are the seas rough on the 1st night of the cruise? If it is, what should you take so you don't get seasick?

Thanx:)

I'd think it depends more upon the weather systems than the time of year. I left NYC the last 2 Decembers..one was a little rough 15-20' seas and the other was very calm...a lot of people took a martini clinic for their sea sickness :D :D

It is always best to be prepared. I get sea sick so I always wear a "Sea Band" around my wrist and I take "ginger tablets" the first 2 days of our crusie no matter what month we sail. The sea can be calm one minute and rough the next. We cruise out of NYC in 2005 and the seas were pretty rough for 2 days. Coming home it was calm. Ya never know! :rolleyes:

Archived