Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

The chocolate crepes dessert on NCL's Dream. They tasted like flour tortillas rolled up with tasteless fake chocolate poured over them. Leaving the dining room, I saw a lot of plates with those crepes sitting on them and two bites maybe eaten.

The Monte Cristo sandwich on the same cruise. I've never seen one quite like that. Reminded me of leftover french toast from breakfast, soggy with an unidentifiable filling.

Many years ago, Carnival had an "oriental" night and the shrimp tempura was soggy breaded coated. Husband ordered sweet/sour pork to be served a ham slice with some kind of sauce on it. The waiter had already told us the night before if we were considering alternative dining, that the next night would be a good time to do it. When he saw we weren't eating anything, he bought us both a fillet. Waiter got nice tip at the end of the cruise (lol).

In 27 cruises, those are the only really bad things I have been served. Some things have been better than others--and ordering steak is always a crap shoot. I'll say this, I've never gone hungry on a cruise!

Tucker in Texas

Afew years ago, Princess served a stewed beef dish on Italian night, kind of like Swiss steak. The waiter practically begged me to order something else, but I really wanted beef that night. It was tough, loaded with gristle and not very tasty. Clearing away my plate, with most of the meat still on it, the waiter asked, "How did you enjoy your meal, sir?" in a voice that shouted, "I told you so!!"

The same dish was still on the menu a year later, and I avoided it like the plague. I heard several diners around us complaining about it.

I've never (knock on wood) had anything terrible, but in the Sovereign of the Seas, I had a waiter try to steer me away from the creme brulee. I should have listened to him. Ever since, when a waiter makes a suggestion, I usually go with it and haven't been disappointed. I figure that they serve the same meals week after week and hear peoples' responses, so the waitstaff should have a good idea of what to avoid.

The French Onion Soup on the Celebrity Constellation cruise we sailed on last October. It was absolutely awful. We've had better french onion soup at Applebee's!!! Our entire table was a table of french onion soup lovers and we all hated it. It did not taste the way french onion soup should taste at all. We told our matre'd to tell the chef. He was quite shocked that we were all disappointed as it was on their Chef's recommended menu for the evening!!!! We told him to ax that recipe!!! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I've never (knock on wood) had anything terrible, but in the Sovereign of the Seas, I had a waiter try to steer me away from the creme brulee. I should have listened to him. Ever since, when a waiter makes a suggestion, I usually go with it and haven't been disappointed. I figure that they serve the same meals week after week and hear peoples' responses, so the waitstaff should have a good idea of what to avoid.

We were advised not to order the steak, after we all order something else and the waiter left some one wondered if he was trying to save a steak for his meal. We were wrong, all we heard all evening was comments about how bad the steak was.

My worst meal was breakfast in a storm. I ordered scrambled eggs and the arrived crispy! I think the chef was unwell and made a large batch, took the potato scoop and put the scooped eggs in a warmer until ordered.

Later in the same storm we were served mushy, yellow broccoli; perhaps the same unfortunate chef. The food in the Lido was great but they closed that area due to the rough weather, trays were flying and spilt food was making the floor slippery.

We were advised not to order the steak,\ the floor slippery.

This reminds me of a Carnival cruise we took when we were at second seating. The waiter told us not to order the crab legs, they were tough. I ordered them anyway, if I didn't like them, it's not like I paid $10 for them. So then he tells me they didn't have any "forks" to get the meat out. I'm from crab country, I can eat them with a toothpick if necessary and a regular fork only slows me down a little. Told him I would "suffer." The crab legs were wonderful. I think he was trying to discourage me because so many other people at the first seating had ordered "seconds" they were running short. So whenever I cruise on Carnival, I have on my packing list "seafood" fork. I have it in my purse every night awaiting a waiter to give me the "fork" excuse so I can whip it out and say "no problem, have my own? And, bring me a double order and a double order for DH (who would rather eat liver). Alas, this has never happened but I am ready (lol). How much room does a seafood fork take up in the suitcase?

Tucker in Texas

DH and MIL both ordered Fish & Chips for lunch last summer in Alaska (on Princess). Both of them took one bite, declared it to be "nasty!" and decided we should leave the dining room and head for the buffet.

I thought RCCL's lobster bisque was mediocre (I've had much better); their other bisques were much more to my liking. That being said, I'm a sucker for any kind of shellfish bisque of any kind so I still enjoyed it.

Beautiful thin slices of rare roast beef from the Gala Buffet. They weren't really BAD, just completely tasteless.

I've since decided that I'm never going to eat anything from the Gala Buffet again, but not because of the taste. I got to thinking, maybe eating something that 3000 people have just strolled by aint such a great idea! :eek:

When will people ever learn to listen to their waiter. Oy!

Well, I don't particularly enjoy some foods (steak, chops, slabs of meat of just about any kind) so when my waiter gives me a rec for one of those I'm definitely going to ignore it and pick something else. :rolleyes:

We were on the NCL Spirit two years ago and, except for The Bistro and the Shogun, the restaurants that you had to pay extra for, he food on that entire cruise ranged from horrible to just alright.....it was truly bad, I lost 5 pounds, which is actually a good thing....;)

Sushi on the Diamond Princess was not veyr good, it tasted like prerolled supermarket sushi but worse.....Other then that we LOVED the food on the Diamond Princess YUMO

Was on the Norweigan Star for the April 15, 2007 Mexican Riviera cruise. Worst food I have ever had on a cruise. The best was the hamburgers by the pool. The only decent meal was at the surcharge Benihana type restaurant. Now I know where they serve the good food. I feel like the dining room was purposely bad to force people in to the surcharge restaurants. Our first and last cruise on NCL. Rude staff also. Hated the buffet area. Looked like a school cafeteria. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I generally try to avoid all soups on cruiseships in general as they are almost always very salty for my palate. I must say I had some truly excellent lobster on the Sapphire Princess, while the worst food I had was a veggie burger on the Disney Magic. Whomever said that the hamburgers were the worst on cruises had not tried the Disney version of a veggie burger--dry as a bone with a really pungent aftertaste. :eek: The veggie pattie consisted of rehydrated carrots, onions, and celery. The Disney fishburger was equally dry and lacking in fish but plentiful in breading. But then again, when you go on a Disney cruise you generally are not thinking the food will be spectacular........ :D

Last December on the Valor I had some nasty Apple struddel thing for dessert one night. I remember not being particularly fond of any of the deserts 2 1/2 years ago on the Destiny either. I think the only good desserts Carnival has are choc covered strawberries, soft serve, and the Lava cake!

Steak on the Carnival Conquest. It was the first night, I was super seasick thanks to extra rocky seas, and the waiter brought a less than lean, weird looking steak to me. I tasted it, and it was so greasy with an odd un-steaklike texture. I dashed from my seat in the dining room to my room and became sick. Worse cruise dish I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

This past July on NCL Dawn, the turkey. We still laugh as none of us were able to figure out what it really was, we should have realized it was going to be a problem when we asked for white meat and the waiter looked at us like we had 12 heads. Wish I knew what it really was, all of us sent it back.

Then again there was nothing on the NCL Dawn that was good, the food was the worst I have ever had.

My daughter ordered scrambled eggs on the NCL Pearl last month. I don't know how they prepared them but they definetly were not from real eggs. She ordered omletes after that. Much better. The escagots in Le Bistro were nothing special. Swimming in butter and tasteless.

Most of the food I've had has been pretty good. I don't think I've had anything really bad though.

I don't like the burgers on royal caribbean's windjammer buffet. They're always kind of dry, tough, and never hot enough. They really should cook those to order instead of throwing them into a chafing dish.

Definitely the worst food we had on our recent cruise on Carnival Legend was the Lobster with Drawn Butter served in the Legend's "upscale" supper club called the Golden Fleece. Well, we really did feel fleeced after that meal! :mad: ALL of the courses were well below par and the supper club only got above average marks for plate decoration, which was fairly imaginative.

The sample lobster tail we were shown prior to ordering was large and meaty. What we actually received were three tiny tails not anywhere equal to the size. To say that the lobster was tasteless would have been a blessing. In addition to being dried out and having no lobster flavor whatsoever, the tiny tails were burnt tasting from the deep char-grilling they'd received. They were also riddled with small shell fragments that we repeated had to pull from our mouths.:mad:

Never again will I pay $30 a person to dine in one of Carnival's supper clubs! Even though we complained in writing about our hour-long "dining experience" (aka ordeal,) all my husband and I received in response was a generic letter from the pursers office expressing regret that we had been "disappointed in some aspect" of our cruise. There certainly was no refund, partial or otherwise, or any other way offered to make amends.