Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

Probably a mixed fried seafood plate was the worst I ever had. It ranged from rubbery to extra rubbery. It also had the special bonus of soggy. Not sure how they managed over cooked rubbery combined with soggy, but they pulled it off. Not my idea of a good time.

Lobster night on the Allure. The most dried out rubbery-est piece of lobster I ever had. Took one bite and we were done. What a shame for those lobsters that gave their lives.

then the gravy part of the "biscuits and gravy" on the Monarch. It was more like watery white cream soup with pork bits. I guess so far I have not had luck with RCCL food.

I didn't read through all the posts, but the first thought that came to my head when I looked at the thread was desserts on the buffet. We feel like we're eating in a nursing home -- lots of pudding, custard, jello based inedible "desserts" with way too much going on in them. On our last cruise we wondered why they couldn't just have cake. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive, just good, yummy normal cake, variety of flavors. Or pie.

We finally concluded that for desserts sometimes places just try too hard and it comes out bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I lost 4 ponds on my cruise to Alaska this past September-That says it all cuz I am a real foodie

Glad to see someone with the same thoughts about Jewel. With the exception of the Teppanyaki Room and Cagney's, we thought the food on Jewel was extremely unappetizing.

We were on an Alaska cruise in August with extended family and all of the adults concurred that we probably would not cruise NCL again. On our next Alaska cruise we will be trying a different line.

Glad to see someone with the same thoughts about Jewel. With the exception of the Teppanyaki Room and Cagney's, we thought the food on Jewel was extremely unappetizing.

We were on an Alaska cruise in August with extended family and all of the adults concurred that we probably would not cruise NCL again. On our next Alaska cruise we will be trying a different line.

I was on the Epic and would give the same comments. The only good meals were Teppanyaki and Cagney's. Also, would never cruise NCL again because of that.

An observation...

I cant help but find it hysterical that people claim to be food experts & are spotted at the pizza station daily. Even more unrealistic is to expect 5 star dining when feeding the masses.

I have an educated palette. I'm realistic & have had pleasant meals on board & ones, ehh... not so much. What I CANNOT believe is how after 7 days, 21 meal opportunities, all those food venues & choices people can say... I didn't find one thing I liked.

Edited by Pack My Bags

• 1 month later...
Even more unrealistic is to expect 5 star dining when feeding the masses..

This is certainly true.

We like to think of the buffets as being a collection of raw materials to piece together into something more interesting.

Regarding shipboard pizza, we've only had experience with NCL, and it wasn't very good. However, many other people seem to enjoy it.

A steak I ordered in the main dining room. Requested that it be done medium. Came out looking like a hockey puck and just about as tender. I doubt it could have been cut with a chainsaw. On the other hand the steak I had in Cagneys speciality restaurant was very good but it cost an extra $25.

I always look forward to the Prime Rib the first night. It is one of my staples each cruise. On Oasis for my birthday cruise in November, we went to the MDR we both ordered Prime Rib. It was disgusting, extremely slimey. So the offered to bring us another dinner, pork chops. Looked good, tasted different than the way I normally season it. I looked at it, it was still pink. That was the only time we ate in the MDR the entire cruise.

The good thing is it let us try the other venues on board without feeling guilty. We ate at 9 of the 23 restaurants and enjoyed the good tremendously.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A steak I ordered in the main dining room. Requested that it be done medium. Came out looking like a hockey puck and just about as tender.

This happens, to me, at least once every cruise. I just send it back. If it isn't right the second time, I'll just leave and forage at the buffet. More often than not, the dining room manager will insist I return another evening and personally insures that it's made correctly.

Wife ordered off menu shrimp cocktail on NCL Epic last year. They sent out a bowl full of 100-150 count shrimp with veins still in 'em. Okay, I know it wasn't on the menu, but it was ordered a day in advance and really if you're not going to serve food properly, just say you can't fulfil the order...

I do consider myself a foodie with adventurous tastes.

I had looked forward to Escargot all week up to the cruise - when we had it - it was an oily mess. No breadcrumbs - no garlic or herbs in there either.

They were overcooked too. Rubbery and Oily - I was so disappointed.

Also all meat I had I asked for Med Rare, and everything was over cooked. Even in Sabatini's my Veal Chop was not even slightly pink...

Highlights though - was the Ahi Tuna appetizer, the lovely Princess Desserts, afternoon tea with scones and Pasta Rustica.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had looked forward to Escargot all week up to the cruise - when we had it - it was an oily mess. No breadcrumbs - no garlic or herbs in there either.

Also all meat I had I asked for Med Rare, and everything was over cooked. Even in Sabatini's my Veal Chop was not even slightly pink...

Highlights though - was the Ahi Tuna appetizer, the lovely Princess Desserts, afternoon tea with scones and Pasta Rustica.

I totally agree with the escargot...mine on Carnival though...it was oily and ....gritty/sandy also... Not much else was bad...

Remembered a few:

The fettucine alfredo in the parm basket on Princess. Everyone raves about this and when we tried it, it was a gummy mess. The sauce was starting to separate, and the parm basket was like trying to eat a plastic easter egg basket.

After Tulum, the guide recommended Senior Frosty's for food. The beef in the tacos were full of grizzle. Truly inedible.

Edited by whataboutport

In my experience Sabatini's and the Crown Grill will make it right if it isn't. They are very accommodating.