Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

I know that taste is subjective and that what one person may not like, another may love. But if a friend asked you what food they should avoid on their up coming cruise, what item(s) would you tell them to skip? And don't forget the cruise line. What may be bad on one, may be to die for on another. ;)

For me, on RCCL (AOS) i would have to say the Lobster Bisque in the dining room. It had a very unlobstery taste, with no lobster in sight. Was also very runny, like canned tomato soup.

Maybe being in New England has spoiled me for lobster bisque. I would be interested to know what others thought of RCCL's Lobster Bisque.

The worst thing that I ever tasted while cruising had to be the smoked hog on the midnight buffet, onboard the RCCI Enchantment of the seas. That was the wildest meat i have ever tasted:eek: totally different from the Ham that I am used too.

:o Well, I have to say most of the food we had on the Carnival Glory was very tasty, especially in the Dining Room. There was one or two times I was not impressed in the Buffett. :( But the desserts were usually to die for, (Warm Chocolate Melting Cake:p ). And the service was the best I have ever experienced.

Now here is something quite odd, and my husband says it was just my imagination, all in my head. I drink ice tea, or sometimes juice or lemonade when we ate in the Red Sail. I say there was definately a very different taste to these beverages, as well as a smell. I wont say what the smell was, (not necessarily bad) but I am asking if anyone else noticed, or is my husband right about me and my imagination. :confused: He has drank so much diet cola his taste buds are burnt out anyway.:eek: Just thought I would ask.

God Bless those that love to sail the seas.

Connie

Cant wait to see the blue of the seas again.

Feb 7, 2009 on the Carnival Glory

616733344_TheCruise005.jpg.89442b58ba706a45628b8a5a336367f2.jpg

270867956_TheCruise3016.jpg.b8ed97000c37b1d47fda1d19d0cf0cae.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking forward to Steak Night on Princess traditional dining, but the steak tasted more like liver (augh!) and was tough. This is one of the things that kept me from booking the specialty steak restaurant on the Diamond.

If it is still awful on my next cruise, I'll send it back and re-order something else.:)

Just returned from the Spirit and the Lobster bisque in Cagneys was horrible. It had some spongy, non flavorful thing in the middle of it- cant even tell you what it was suppose to be. Also, the soup at the teppenyaki grill was equally bad. We ate there with 2 other parties and none of us could manage to eat it!:eek:

We were on the NCL Spirit two years ago and, except for The Bistro and the Shogun, the restaurants that you had to pay extra for, he food on that entire cruise ranged from horrible to just alright.....it was truly bad, I lost 5 pounds, which is actually a good thing....;)

Sushi on the Diamond Princess was not veyr good, it tasted like prerolled supermarket sushi but worse.....Other then that we LOVED the food on the Diamond Princess YUMO

Yup, us too with the NCL spirit. All the meals in the main dining rooms were bland and had zero visual appeal; just a piece of food on a white plate. Seriously, is that much more expensive to add a dash of color by some means to the presentation?

However the alternative (head charge) dining was top-notch with great presentation and excellent tasting food. We stopped cruising with NCL after that because we believe their formula had become:

If you want quality, then we'll gladly charge you extra on top of that $1,600 you already paid to get on the ship.

DW and I's first cruise together was on Carnival back in 2003. We found our room, entered, and discovered there was a sort-of gift basket with various Carnival swag but also some individual Tums packets. We thought what the hell is this for:confused: ?

Fastforward.

After a day drinking (and I do mean a day:rolleyes: ) at Carlos n Charlies in Cozumel we go back to the ship and just collapse. Slept past dinner. Woke up hunnnngry and decided it was time to eat so we decide midnight pizza. What could be better right? That hot, oily, spicy, pizza grease went to war in our stomachs. We soon figured out why someone might think antacid tabs were a good idea to place in a room.

Needless to say Tums are always near the top of the packing list:p .

On another note my DW and I always lose wait on cruises. We get to eat regularly and at normal times which speeds up or metabolism (we are in our 20s). Also we walk for about four hours in each port so we burn a lot too.

• 2 weeks later...

Caribbean Princess dining room, there was a beef in sauce on the always available menu. It was so salty that it was inedible. In the steakhouse, the Barramundi fish was dry and tasteless.

On all of the ships/lines I have been on, the fish dishes that aren't saucy have been pretty much dry and tasteless.

On Celebrity Millenium: the Chicken Picatta tastes more like Marsala. It's not bad, but it isn't what I would expect in a Picatta (too sweet).

Carnival Liberty: the pizza wasn't worth the calories at all.

:o Well, I have to say most of the food we had on the Carnival Glory was very tasty, especially in the Dining Room. There was one or two times I was not impressed in the Buffett. :( But the desserts were usually to die for, (Warm Chocolate Melting Cake:p ). And the service was the best I have ever experienced.

Now here is something quite odd, and my husband says it was just my imagination, all in my head. I drink ice tea, or sometimes juice or lemonade when we ate in the Red Sail. I say there was definately a very different taste to these beverages, as well as a smell. I wont say what the smell was, (not necessarily bad) but I am asking if anyone else noticed, or is my husband right about me and my imagination. :confused: He has drank so much diet cola his taste buds are burnt out anyway.:eek: Just thought I would ask.

God Bless those that love to sail the seas.

Connie

Cant wait to see the blue of the seas again.

Feb 7, 2009 on the Carnival Glory

Just got off the Conquest and enjoyed the food and looking forward to the Glory on Feb 7th...maybe we will run into each other at the dessert bar!!!

Not really on the cruise, but on the charter flight back from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires they served us something that was like a jelly roll with spam inside. It appeared to be made by spreading spam on sponge cake, rolling it up. and then slicing it crosswise. Absolutely disgusting.

Carnival Holiday, June 2007, last night of the cruise: Fried Calimari. It was dried out to the point that it wasn't the rubbery texture of over-cooked clams like you might expect, it merely shattered upon impact (both the squid and the coating, it was crazy!).

Actually, the entire fried seafood plate was rather dismal which I really hadn't expected judging by how good the food had been the rest of the trip (including the best Ceasar salad I've had since learning how to prepare it tableside in Culinary School).

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from the Rhaspody out of Sydney Australia and i ordered a breakfast that was so gross, i couldn't even order a replacement as I felt too ill to eat.

I ordered two eggs -soft, potato hash brown and Corned Beef hash. Everything was cooked in and served in a sea of oil. The egg yoke floated on the oil making a marbling pattern. The Corned beef which was the only thing I tasted was mashed with small white (?potato?) cubes and was a sloppy oilly mess it was served as a ball, I think with something like an icecream scoop. The beef itself tasted and smelt like dog food. I had to spit out straight into my napkin.

The waiter tried to offer something else but all I could do was say "No - just leave me"

i was too sick to even walk out of there for about 5 minutes.

YUCK

I had a fish dish on Celebrity Mercury that was just NASTY! It was some sort of a white fish rolled into a tube with a shrimp stuffed in the end. I don't recall the name, but I will avoid anything of the sort.

I also had one TERRIBLE lobster tail (mushy and mealy) on a cruise but I can't remember which one. I've never had a lobster tail on a cruise that I've considered particularly good, but this one was on a whole other level...

but it was on the Celebrity Xpedition. It was some sort of skewered grilled beef, but it tasted like they didn't wait for the charcoal lighter fluid to burn off before they started cooking them. Horrible, horrible petrochemical taste....

None of the passengers complained, though. We were in the Galapagos and you don't get a lot of beef there. The chef was very proud of the dish, and no one had the heart to complain. The maitre d' noticed that no one was eating the food and started asking the passengers if something was wrong. Most people insisted "no, no, everything's fine! I'm just not as hungry as I thought", and so on. Finally someone broke down and told him, very apologetically, what the problem was.

I think this is more along the lines of kitchen mishap rather than genuinely bad food, though. It's more like someone knocking a box of salt in to the soup.

Carnival Victory - Prime rib was all fat with a little meat attached, sent it back and was brought another that was no better. Had pizza instead. This was 2004 though, so maybe it's better quality now?