Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

• 2 weeks later...
The "shrimp cocktail" that's always available on NCL (Dawn). I made the mistake of ordering it the first night, and it looked like it'd come out of a can. And I practically needed a magnifying glass to see the "shrimp".

Actually, any "scallop" dish, as well. Again, TINY TINY TINY. Their "scallop salad" had three scallops about the size of dimes. Maybe I'm spoiled since I go to culinary school, but that's not exactly what I think of when ordering scallops.

Most of the food was very unmemorable...and me and my boyfriend agreed that while we were always full, we were never satisfied. It was like we were eating just to eat.

I have to say the shrimp cocktail and risotto with sea scallops on RCCL Sovereign were excellent. One of our friends told us to instruct the waiter that we wanted to have shrimp cocktail as an appetizer every night, so we did. We got another appetizer as well, because only 4 shrimp are on the cocktail! But they were large sized and good.

I love French Onion soup and make it frequently. This version was reddish and very sweet. I asked if it was made with red wine (my homemade version is made with a cup of white, others are made with beer) but was told it was made with red onions. Not too sure about that...

Not revolting, just not what I expected and somewhat off-putting. I will never order this again!

I believe it was Saturday lunch when we had the crab and asparagus soup. It just tasted awful. I like crab and I like asparagus, but not that way. Also, the hash browns were stark white, unseasoned, and had not a spot of golden brown. We complained on Sunday, received a bottle of wine as an apology and Monday they were the same!

But Captain Rick came to visit us on Sunday lunch and that made up for all of it!

• 1 month later...

My husband and I were on Disney on part of our honeymoon. He has a wheat sensitivity, but not celiac disease (which is the serious gluten allergy). Well, the cruise line was trying its best, I suppose, but they would not let him eat anything with the slightest trace of flour in it, and flour is in almost everything... so they would bring him (gasp) a plate of wheat-free spaghetti noodles.

With nothing on them.

Just the noodles.

No matter what he said, just the noodles...

We stopped eating in the dining room. :)

Edited by V and S

My husband and I were on Disney on part of our honeymoon. He has a wheat sensitivity, but not celiac disease (which is the serious gluten allergy). Well, the cruise line was trying its best, I suppose, but they would not let him eat anything with the slightest trace of flour in it, and flour is in almost everything... so they would bring him (gasp) a plate of wheat-free spaghetti noodles.

With nothing on them.

Just the noodles.

No matter what he said, just the noodles...

We stopped eating in the dining room. :)

We just told our waiters about DH and DS mango allergy. They were careful to look over the menu every day and warn us. Just noodles! OMG.

Everything we ate on the Radiance of the Seas to Hawaii in April, 2007 was awful, from breakfast to dinner.

In second place, the 19 day Panama Canal sailing of the Island Princess in April, 2008, was so bad neither one of us gained a pound.

The best so far is the Grand Princess we just came home from. Food and Service were the best ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a caeser salad on a Carnival Cruise a few years ago. It was horrible. I threw it out. Then on another cruise I tried a conch fritter on an excursion. I heard people rave about how tasty they are. They are not for me. It was terrible.

The entire embarkation buffet on the Island Princess (to Hawaii and back). I was SO excited to take my "kids" on their first cruise and expected (my first error) this cruise to be like our HAL cruises. We boarded..........the buffet area was a filthy mess............"workers" were standing around refusing to work (this continued on the entire cruise, it felt as if they were about to mutiny). Salad was chopped iceberg lettuce, that's it. Meat was cold fried chicken. It was an awful introduction to the ship. There were no tables cleared for eating.

We gave Princess another chance on the Grand and it was magnificent, btw.

The buffet on Norwegian Dream..............oh, it was awful.

The Caesar Salad on the Island; it was "warmish" when it came. The next day many of us onboard had food poisoning and "no one" would agree it was f.p. They wanted us to stay in cabins and not "infect" others.......

many of us, discussing this, decided they didn't want us telling others of our f.p.:eek:

Just returned from the Spirit and the Lobster bisque in Cagneys was horrible. It had some spongy, non flavorful thing in the middle of it- cant even tell you what it was suppose to be.

Most probably it was a SPONGE they pulled in with the lobster.:D

Strawberries covered in waxy chocolate. How many dark brown Crayolas have given their lives for the gala buffets?

Costa Mediterranea, during a Caribbean itinerary, had the worst food. They served everyone baked Alaska one evening, mandatory, they just came by and plopped it down whether you wanted it or not, and is was a completely melted pool of goo. Also, our waiter would make us order dessert while ordering our meal. What's up with that?

Has anyone else ever noticed that during Sunday to Sunday itineraries the worst dinner selections are usually on Thursday's menu?

on my last princess cruise i had a horrible lobster tail! There was something not right, totally wierd texture!!! i couldnt eat it at all! On top of that the waiter was actually kind of rude, when we asked for butter to go with our lobster tail, he claimed that it was already on top, and that he couldnt get us butter. This was a simple request that should have been honored. On that very same cruise we had another waiter who wasjust awesome and even did magiv tricks, I wish that we were able to have him every night instead of having to switch to quiet shy guy... we miss you ROLAND on the Golden princess. Too bad the lobster was poor, on my first princess cruise the lobster was great, and no one else in my party of 24 had any complaints... must have just been my luck!!!