Transfer in Frankfurt Germany

Cruise To Relax

We are flying Atlanta to Rome through Frankfurt (Lufthansa) and wondering about the transfer from one plane to the next. I read all the horror stories about CDG in France and some about Heathrow but none about Frankfurt. We have a 3.5 hour layover - is that enough? Thanks for your info.

Frankfurt Airport has a good web site, lots of tips and help.

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/rubrik/9/9682.htm

I read that you arrive and leave from the International area and do not have to go through customs and immigration. Might have to walk from one section to another, ie: B to C.

You can go to the Lufthansa site and check your flight numbers and see where they arrive and leave.

http://www.lufthansa.com

I read that you arrive and leave from the International area and do not have to go through customs and immigration.
As Frankfurt -> Rome is a flight inside "Schengenland", the OP will have to clear inbound immigration at Frankfurt when transferring, as the transfer involves crossing from the non-Schengen side ("international" for immigration purposes) to the Schengen side ("domestic" for immigration purposes). There is no further immigration control in Rome, as the Frankfurt -> Rome flight is "domestic" for immigration purposes.

If the bags are through-checked, though, they should be transferred automatically. Customs clearance will be in Rome.

I went through Frankfort just last week and it was fine! The airport is large but there are plenty of direction signs and it is not hard to find someone to answer questions. I grabbed one of the carts and pushed it around with my carry on stuff for awhile so I would not spend my whole time sitting. There are shops and places to eat.

I would highly recommend checking abou your departure gate as I was told at the airport that it often changes if you made a night flight to Frankfort.

I was supposed to be in Munich with my parents to head to Barcelona but that is another story....

3 hours is good...we had 45 minutes after we landed from Rome and we had to deplane on the tamarac..get on buses, and then we ALL had to get off at Terminal B, even though the terminal we needed was A. We then had to get to A, in the process we had to go thru immigRation. Then we had to go thru a security search.. the people at Lufthansa were paging us overhead and we were stuck in a security line. We told the people we were being paged and they took us to the front of the line....WE RAN TO THE PLANE, LAST ONES ON...AS TO THE LUGGAGE, IT HAD AN EXTRA NIGHT IN FRANKFURT.

MARLENE

• 1 month later...

Is the terminal still under alot of construction?? I arrived in terminal A and transfered to B in January, and there were very few shops and poor signage. I prefer traveling through Frankfurt and will be again in November. Thanks for any help.

FRA is a fine airport. Of course, if God punishes you and you land 4 hours late, there is not much you can do about it!. FRA is probably the best sign-posted airport I've seen. You should have no problems at all.

• 7 years later...
First time in Frankfurt Airport and we are looking at an early morning flight (9 am) from Budapest to Frankfurt - 2 hr layover and heading to Newark NJ.

Is two hours enough???

Thanks fellow travelors

Sue NJ

Should be just fine, yes. You will be clearing Schengen exit immigration in Frankfurt, but that should not take too long. Don't get lazy on your layover by any means, but I would be comfortable with two hours in FRA.

I also agree two hours is a good minimum transfer time. We have been through there going and coming about a dozen times in the last few years and never had a problem until this past October.We were connecting in FRA to the US having started the trip in NCE. We must have hit a mid day crush because the security lines were longer than I have ever experienced. Were it not for having Premier Status and being able to go through the shorter( but still lengthy) line we would have never made our 1hour/50 minute connection.

We've been through FRA a number of times and 2 hrs is the minimum we would consider booking. As long as your flight from Budapest isn't late and you move quickly you should be OK.

Stopping to claim your Duty Free refund may however not happen as that is a process in itself and can take a while.

To be safe, check out what later flight options are available in the unlikely event you do miss the connection. Never hurts to know what options are available just in case.

If you have a short connection time or a delay on incoming flight, make yourself known to staff. Frankfurt airport has a "fast lane" system to help you rush through, even if you have to move between different terminals.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en/services_at_the_airport/fast-lanes.html

Edited by odysee

If you have a short connection time or a delay on incoming flight, make yourself known to staff. Frankfurt airport has a "fast lane" system to help you rush through, even if you have to move between different terminals.

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/content/frankfurt_airport/en/services_at_the_airport/fast-lanes.html

Yes, we transferred at FRA for our Vantage Russia tour and had less than an hour to catch our flight to Kiev. We made it by announcing to the security people that we had a flight to Kiev leaving shortly. They put us at the head of the line.