Question about Palm Beach?

NAHA

Just curious if we should be budgeting in the neighborhood of $5/pp or $20/pp...lol.

How about $8? :D It's less than $10. :cool:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=9095246&postcount=3 which on a day like today with clear blue skies and a token white fluffy cloud, http://www.bucuticam.com/bucexp.jpg is mandatory!

The beach was exactly as the pic's are that you post arubalisa. Prices are just about on the mark. We had a great time in Aruba. What made it even better was as we walked down the walkway behind the hotels but on the beach there was a hut that sold DUNKIN DONUTS coffee. Boy was I ever drooling. The coffee on the ship was getting pretty yucky for me and i must have had 3 ice coffees hooked up to iv's within moments of finding that treasure. My day just couldn't go down hill, and it didn't.

The local bus system was very safe and the driver was great. He and some passengers told us of the different beaches as we rode to the light house then on the way back we picked a beach and had a great time. Picking up the bus to return was very ease and again we felt very safe. $2 pp round trip!!!

The beach was exactly as the pic's are that you post arubalisa. Prices are just about on the mark. We had a great time in Aruba. What made it even better was as we walked down the walkway behind the hotels but on the beach there was a hut that sold DUNKIN DONUTS coffee. Boy was I ever drooling. The coffee on the ship was getting pretty yucky for me and i must have had 3 ice coffees hooked up to iv's within moments of finding that treasure. My day just couldn't go down hill, and it didn't.

The local bus system was very safe and the driver was great. He and some passengers told us of the different beaches as we rode to the light house then on the way back we picked a beach and had a great time. Picking up the bus to return was very ease and again we felt very safe. $2 pp round trip!!!

Does anybody know the bus routes in Aruba? Sounds like you can take the bus out to the California Lighthouse. I'm wondering if you pass by the area where the baby bridge is located.

Thanks

Does anybody know the bus routes in Aruba? Sounds like you can take the bus out to the California Lighthouse. I'm wondering if you pass by the area where the baby bridge is located.

Thanks

The bus http://www.arubus.com/ does go to Malmok, the area in which the lighthouse is located, but I do not know how close it gets.

The bus does not go near the old Natural Bridge which has collapsed and located on the uninhabited east coast of the island.

We had a great time in Aruba. What made it even better was as we walked down the walkway behind the hotels but on the beach there was a hut that sold DUNKIN DONUTS coffee.

I am happy you found your "fix"! For anyone else looking for that Dunkin Donuts coffee, it is sold by a shop called "Flavors" located on De Palm Pier.

flavors_dunkindonuts.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wished to add to this thread, since they seem to be popular questions.

Are there places to eat?

Yes, each resort has a beachside restaurant and there are also 3 or 4 other offerings.

Are there public restrooms?

There are no public restrooms per se, however each resort has restrooms in close proximity to the beach and their beachside restaurants.

• 1 month later...

Are there public restrooms?

There are no public restrooms per se, however each resort has restrooms in close proximity to the beach and their beachside restaurants.

Are you allowed to use them?

Being a one day guest, how do they treat you?

In San Juan we were not allowed to rent chairs, they were for the guests. Not a great experience.

jacruiser.....I was at DePalm Island in early March and would not recommend it to anyone! The island is tiny, and is just offshore from the electric plant!! Look one way, and you see the sea.....look the other way and you see huge smokestacks, large dirty buildings, discharge pipes, and chainlink fences! :eek: The beach is pathetic, there is storm debris piled up just beyond the beach, the food was terrible (not sure what that burger was made from...), and there is construction of a new building taking place so you hear sawing and hammering all day. I am normally an optimistic person, but I felt ripped off on this excursion.

• 3 weeks later...
By the way, thank you very much for all the information, ArubaLisa. It is extremely helpful. :)

You are more than welcome. Thank you for your kind words.

You will not have any problems with noise from De Palm Pier. There is a bar and grill at one end which only offers live entertainment, one or 2 times during that week and that is late in the day or at night. There is also a gift shop and Flavors which sells, Dunkin Donuts, sandwiches and such. The De Palm Pleasure pictured below and a few other De Palm vessels use the pier to pick up and drop off passengers. The other side of the pier is used for pick up and drop off of divers for Unique Watersports. When we were there in December we arrived early and never saw them load tanks (which can make a LOT of noise) so they do it either very late in the day OR from their other pier further down the beach between the Playa Linda and Holiday Inn.

De Palm Pier Getting a New Roof

depalmb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Has anyone taken the bus from the Cruise port to Palm Beach? How much was it per person? And where did it pick you up (near the port or did you have to walk)? Also, where does the bus drop you off on Palm Beach ( In front of or near any of the resorts?)

Thanks.

Lisa,

Thank you so much for the volumes of good information about spending the day in Aruba. I have a question that I haven't seen asked yet. My wife and I would like to spend the day at Palm Beach, rent some chairs and umbrellas, do some swimming, and do a little bit of snorkeling offshore. Is there anyplace that we can rent a locker or check our valuables while we are in the water or will we have to take turns going in the water solo? I am concerned about leaving any valuables laying around while we are in the water.

Bob

Lisa,Thank you so much for the volumes of good information about spending the day in Aruba. I have a question that I haven't seen asked yet. My wife and I would like to spend the day at Palm Beach, rent some chairs and umbrellas, do some swimming, and do a little bit of snorkeling offshore. Is there anyplace that we can rent a locker or check our valuables while we are in the water or will we have to take turns going in the water solo? I am concerned about leaving any valuables laying around while we are in the water.
Good question which has never been asked. No there are no facilities for valuables. You will more than likely end up on the beach with fellow cruisers and could always ask them to keep an eye out for you. If not traveling with a camera, something along the lines of http://www.drypakcase.com/ would most likely fit your needs.

As far as snorkeling goes, there is nothing to see underwater at Palm Beach or Eagle Beach for that matter. Both beaches offer powder white sand, which continues right on into the water and contributes to those gorgeous blue hues of the water. There is no reef off of either beach to which one can swim. Stick your face in the water with a mask and you may see some fish swimming by, but that is just a random thing :)

There is a spot though between the Westin and Divi Phoenix Resort (south end of Palm Beach) which you can snorkel if you are a good swimmer. About 150 yards off the beach there is a little jetty like rock island palai.jpg

where you can view fish, octopus, and other critters, etc. There are also rock jetties along both sides of the Phoenix's beach which may offer some glimpses of sea life. This is a perfect spot on Palm Beach if you just want to do some snorkeling on your own for free. The water is very calm, but unfortunately the sand here is loaded with tiny coral pieces and rocks. Wear waters shoes, or better yet, bring fins for the swim. There is a bit of free shade in the form of a couple of palapas. No chaises here though nor much else real close by. The Westin is a short walk. See the bottom half of the page at http://www.arubabound.com/photos/plmbch/pbch3.htm for more pictures of this specific area of Palm Beach.

IF you need to rent snorkel gear, the Aruba Watersports Center http://www.arubawatersportcenter.com/pricelist_WS.htm is right there on Palm Beach at the northern end of the Radisson's property. If snorkeling in this area, or any area of Palm Beach I highly suggest doing it early before the sand becomes too stirred up by the traffic of the power boats.

Lisa,

Thank you for your response. It looks like buying the drypak case would take care of the problem of leaving valuables on the beach while we are swimming/snorkeling, especially in the early morning when there aren't too many people on the beach and no one to watch our things for us.

Bob

• 2 months later...
The Amsterdam Manor will rent their chairs for $3 pp for the day. Great location, and beach bar right there.

Carol

I have a friend who stays at the Amsterdam Manor twice a year. She just returned and said they no longer rent chaises.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
You are very welcome :)

Dummy me should have checked into this a little bit more, but common sense tells me that there is a beach entrance (an alley way from the street to the beach), right near the vendor who rents the umbrellas and chaises. I say this because De Palm Pier is right there and they have a good many boat excursions departing. There has to be a drop off point for their guests without everyone going through the lobby at the Radisson.

Though there is nothing wrong with walking through the Radisson property, but the resort is spread out. A direct drop off, asking the driver for the De Palm Pier would be much more convenient and direct than walking through the Radisson. Your taxi driver will certainly know. Ask before you get into the taxi. I find in Aruba, though they speak English, with their accents, some, but not all drivers are difficult to understand. In this way you will know for certain.

We will be following this "plan of attack" with my 93 year old grandmother in December. She likes to go to the beach just one day while we are away to see the kids enjoying themselves :D

Arubalisa - thanks for all your suggestions and tips :)

How did your plan work out with your grandmother? We will be traveling with my grandmother and she would like to spend the day at Palm Beach (arrive 8:30am depart 8:00pm).

Did you walk into the Radisson and ask for a day pass to access their part of the beach or did you rent chairs/umbrella's from one of the vendors?

Also, are there many restaurants/washrooms, etc close by? - I'm concerened about her having to walk far distances to access these facilities.

Arubalisa - thanks for all your suggestions and tips :)

How did your plan work out with your grandmother? We will be traveling with my grandmother and she would like to spend the day at Palm Beach (arrive 8:30am depart 8:00pm).

Did you walk into the Radisson and ask for a day pass to access their part of the beach or did you rent chairs/umbrella's from one of the vendors?

Also, are there many restaurants/washrooms, etc close by? - I'm concerened about her having to walk far distances to access these facilities.

You are welcome. :) My grandmother who I have since found is a year old than I previously thought :rolleyes: , was not feeling up to it, so ended up staying on the ship the day we went to the beach.

The Radisson does not sell day passes. If you have no difficulty walking it is a nice walk through their lobby and grounds, past their two swimming pools and onto the beach. For an easier, straight, level surface walk I would suggest having the taxi drop you off at the walkway which is the entrance to De Palm Pier. It is located between the Riu and Radisson Resorts.

Once you reach the end of the walkway at the beach just a short ways to the right you will see the vendors, Itito and New Kid I mentioned previously with their "wares" available for rent. All of the beaches in Aruba are public, but the Radisson's waitresses the last time we were there, were serving drinks and food to cruise ship passengers renting the chaises from the vendors, as well as hotel guests.

There is a restroom behind the Radisson's beachside restaurant. It is towards the opposite end of the beach from where you would be set up with the vendors, but there is a cement walkway so once your grandmother got up off the beach toward the hotel, walking would be much easier. I am bad at gauging distances, but if you can use a map, these would give you some idea http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.569486&lon=-70.047197&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2 De Palm Pier is towards the bottom. The 2 squares you see to the right are the actual tents used by the vendors. Gilligans is marked with the "r" in the center of the photo.

I love this thread, will be in Aruba first week of April on the Emerald Princess and can use a ton of this info. I have one question though which I didn't notice was asked. Will taking US $$ to Palm or Eagle beach be an issue with vendors, chair rentals shops, bars, etc. Or should we trry and exchange $$ for Aruban currency before going to the beach. :)

Thanks Charlie

Archived