Freedom 8/27 Review

MACE

Thanks for the reveiw.

Food quiestion here: When was the Caribbean night.

Just wonder because it's on that night I will go to Portofinos or to the Chops.

Will cruise on Freedom on October 29th this year.

Regards

MACE - Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

My brother-in-law and wife were on the same cruise - they attended a wedding that took place on board. We spoke to him last night and he couldn't say enough about the ship.

Hubby and I are sailing her in October of 07 so there won't be the school aged children problem that you spoke about.

What I really loved about your review were your details of the different excursions that you chose by yourself. I am copying all of your E-Mails and will probably do the same. That one in Cozumel with the Taxi sounds fantastic. It will be our first time in the Western Caribbean - we have sailed the Eastern twice - once on Costa and in 2004 on Princess.

Looking forward to the Freedom for sure.

Again, thank you. Peggy, Norwood, MA:)

Thanks for the reveiw.

Food quiestion here: When was the Caribbean night.

Just wonder because it's on that night I will go to Portofinos or to the Chops.

Will cruise on Freedom on October 29th this year.

Regards

We were also on this cruise and I'm pretty sure Caribbean night was Weds.

Mace,

We were also on your cruise. I thought those big video cameras were for the Cruise in Review video. They did seem to be overkill. Thanks for the heads up that they were from the Travel Channel.

Keep a eye out for the Travel Channel's fall schedule when they're gonna air that episode.

I forget where we where when they annouced that TC will be filming on board, I do remember them saying act natural and don't stare or wave into the camera.

-MACE-

MACE - Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

My brother-in-law and wife were on the same cruise - they attended a wedding that took place on board. We spoke to him last night and he couldn't say enough about the ship.

Hubby and I are sailing her in October of 07 so there won't be the school aged children problem that you spoke about.

What I really loved about your review were your details of the different excursions that you chose by yourself. I am copying all of your E-Mails and will probably do the same. That one in Cozumel with the Taxi sounds fantastic. It will be our first time in the Western Caribbean - we have sailed the Eastern twice - once on Costa and in 2004 on Princess.

Looking forward to the Freedom for sure.

Again, thank you. Peggy, Norwood, MA:)

We sat a few tables away from a bride and groom (I know at least two weddings took place onboard, one on Sunday and one during the week) in the Leonardo dinning room on deck 3, close to the Captains table.

We saw the bride and groom walk in all dressed up, they got a round of applause.

Since we've been to Cozumel a few times before and usually just hit a beach, this time we thought lets do a beach and then a tour and also introduce our 10 year old to some history and culture of the island.

Collectively, my family really enjoyed that port of call.

(we're glad Ernesto didn't force a change of intinerary to the Eastern Caribbean as RCI initially posted on their web site the Saturday before we left)

-MACE-

The ruins are called San Gervasio, and though smaller than Tulum or Chichén Itzá, they are old, beginning around 100BC, where Mayan women come from the mainland and paid tribute to the goddess of love and fertility.

Our daughter was quite impressed with the fact that she was exploring, climbing, and standing on ancient 2000 year old ruins and roadways.

They are located within the interior of the jungle or forest on the northeast end of the island.

Prior to visiting the ruins and after visiting one of the west coast beaches, make sure you also stop at Punta Sur on the southern tip of the island.

To the west is Clearain Lighthouse, to the east is the great stretch of the eastern coastline with views and vistas of empty beachs, pounding surf, and rock formations with blow holes

After the ruins, you'll drive slightly further into the interior of Cozumel passing more shack style shops and cantinas before coming back into San Miguel and making a left along the coastline and seawall to get back to the ship.

Considering the cost of ship and self bought excursions we did in the other Ports, our day spent in Cozumel gave us quite the bang for the buck, exploring the various highlights and local culture of the island....well worth it!

-MACE-

DH is a lighthouse lover - was the Clearain lighthouse open for visitors? Tell us more.

I was stung by a jelly fish in 2001 at Haiti when I was on Explorer of the Seas. I don't know how to describe the feeling. You couldn't see it biting you. But, you felt like an itching filling when it bites you. It hurt like a bee bite a little bit and it turned red. It wasn't that bad though the next day. But, it was the first time I was ever stung by a jelly fish.

The reason I was stung is because I went too far out in the swimming area. I was swimming right by the boyees (sp?) and it was way far out. The jelly fish like to hang farther out. So, stay closer to shore and you will be fine.

Anyone sailed the Freedom??

We have the Presidential Family Suite booked for the Sept 24th Sailing, and was thinking of bringing some DVDs for the babies, does anyone know if the are in the suite or available at all on board.

We were in the Grand Suite. There are videos, movies, dvd's, books, and much more to rent from the concierge (Francois). You just needed to return them the last night. :)

I was stung by a jelly fish in 2001 at Haiti when I was on Explorer of the Seas. I don't know how to describe the feeling. You couldn't see it biting you. But, you felt like an itching filling when it bites you. It hurt like a bee bite a little bit and it turned red. It wasn't that bad though the next day. But, it was the first time I was ever stung by a jelly fish.

The reason I was stung is because I went too far out in the swimming area. I was swimming right by the boyees (sp?) and it was way far out. The jelly fish like to hang farther out. So, stay closer to shore and you will be fine.

My wife said she has a picture of the teenager showing the jellyfish still attached to his foot when his dad carried him off the jet ski...still haven't had it developed yet, but in respect for that family, ain't gonna post it.

And not to be the bearer of more bad news, but also watch out for Sea Lice!

During our VOS stop to Labadee a few years back, after getting back on the ship, my family starting experiencing a itching, minor rash.

I read on various boards to watch out for this if you use their vests for the jet-ski tour, but my wife and daughter who didn't jet ski, still got the rash.

Well...same thing happened last Friday when we were in Labadee, another episode of itching, but this time with me only getting a mild rash on my feet, but my daughter got some itching on her shoulders and back, and this happened to both of us within minutes of getting back on the ship, and we both did jet skiing

My wife didn't get a rash or complain of itching and did swim off of Columbus beach...so I guess what I'm saying is...Jet Skiing and wearing their vests promotes itching and some rashes...even though we washed the vests off in the sea before jet skiing.

Just a heads up from our experience last week in Labadee.

-MACE-

DH is a lighthouse lover - was the Clearain lighthouse open for visitors? Tell us more.

Its listed as having open hours from 9-5 but do note it is accessible only via a dirt track 4km (2.5mi) from the highway. (not sure if a taxi will take your there...anybody know?)

I stopped at this lighthouse many years ago when we rented a Jeep for the day.

From the top of the lighthouse, built in the early 1900s, you get a nice over view of the island

There is also on-site navigational museum.

Don't forget to stop off at some of the isolated beaches on your way out, especially following along the east coast

-MACE-

Just got off the Freedom today. I didn't see any jellyfish in labadee, and we were in the water most of the day. We swam from one beach to another around a pretty big rock cliff (turned out to be a longer distance than it looked - oops, but it was still fun!) but we were pretty far out in the water and had no problems. I was looking out for them because of what I had read on this board, but all I saw were little fishies swimming around. I'll post my review in another thread so not to hijack this one.

Archived