Debit vs. Credit Card

stitches12

We have someone in our party who wants to use their debit card to handle onboard expenses for our upcoming cruise. Does anyone know if that will present a problem for them? I called RCI and they said there is no difference between using a credit card vs. debit, but I thought I'd make absolutely sure and come to the 'pros'. :) Thanks for your help!

On one of our NCL cruises my sister used her debit card and it caused her a bit of trouble because she didn't know that they would do a pre-authorization and she ended up getting charged the insufficient funds fee a few times, but on our recent RCCL cruise she used her debit card and had no trouble at all. She went to reception to ask if they would be placing a pre-authorization on her card and they said that they don't do that so it does seem that they treat credit and debit cards the same. Hope this helps :)

I'm a fan of debit cards...however - I learned this lesson the hard way. I always used a debit card instead of a credit card and had used it on a trip (not a cruise). Shortly after that trip someone who had lifted my card number began shopping on QVC and on some internet sites. The card was linked to my checking account and by the time the problem was identified, $1100.00 had been removed from my account. I got the money back after a week or so but now I use a credit card (especially when traveling) and pay it off through electronic transfer after I have verified the charges, that way if there are any fraudulent charges the money isn't coming right out of my account. So, just a word of caution.

Problems with RCL, no, as long as there are sufficient funds in the account to cover what they block out for each day. If you get to a point where the bank turns down a charge because there isn't $500 U. S. to cover the amount they put on hold (for instance, the amount may be different, just using an example), not only will you not be able to use your Sea Pass onboard, very embrassing, IMHO if you're standing in line to get Ben & Jerry's, but your bank may charge a NSF fee. If you have $510 in the bank and they block out $500, when the next $20 check arrives, it bounces, with all the fees associated with it. This isn't even starting to mention the fact that debit cards are not nearly as secure as credit cards. If you do your homework, it should be okay, but I don't even use a debit card for local purchases, I use my credit card and pay the balance weekly. I also earn points for hotel use, I'll be staying in Baltimore for free and parking my car at the hotel while I'm gone. JMHO, hope it helps.

Our DS just ask me this morning if he can use his debit card on our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise on Rhapsody. Thanks to this thread I can tell his sure, just make sure you have the funds to cover any outstanding debits before you leave, plus the money you plan to spend on the cruise, as well as 500.00 just in case they put a hold on you card. In addition, consider using debit card to secure your seapass, then put a cash deposit toward your account once onboard.

This should just about cover what I leaned today. Thanks so much fellow CC"ers!

Happy Sailings!

I have always used my debit card. I have never had RCCL put any type of hold on funds on my card. I have had almost every hotel I have ever stayed in minus a couple in Europe put holds on my cards though. But it didn't matter if it was a credit card or a debit/check card. The hotels will put a hold on whatever card you use.

If somebody takes your credit card, you are only liable for up to $50.00 in unauthorized purchases. If they get your debit card, you could be out all that you have and maybe enven your overdraft protection limit.

The OP mentioned calling your bank. This may sound odd but that same thing happened to me in Ocho Rios. I was buying my wife a necklace and my card wouldn't go through. The owner of the store offered to let me use his phone to call the CC company. The guy said the transaction WAS blocked because I never use the card in Ocho Rios. He asked me if I called them to inform them that i would be traveling to Ocho Rios. I told him no and that I didn't tell my mother either :D . He failed to see the humor in that but did go ahead and lift the restriction on the card. I am glad the the store owner suggested that I call.

Another reason to use your CC is in case something goes wrong with a purchase. You can at least challenge it.

Archived