about passports

bubbles1209

Just wanted to let everyone who plans on getting a passport to know that processing time right now is 8 weeks. I applied for mine today, and even though travel.state.gov website says processing time unexpedited in 6 weeks, they told me today I should have mine by December. :eek: Glad I'm not planning on cruising 'til Feb! Just thought I'd pass that along for those that haven't applied yet. I'm sure the later you wait, the longer it's gonna take. Glad I got mine done today.:)

Yes, I've got to get my butt moving on that! I didn't realize you can do it online. Or did you mean you can print the forms from online?
Ok, I meant the information about how long processing takes is on-line, I didn't mean you could apply on-line. But yes, you can print the forms on-line.

We just got ours. Print the forms on line - or stop at the post office and get the forms. You will save yourself a lot of time if you have it all filled out when you get there. I posted somewhere recently that we went for our passports and got then in exactly two weeks. And that was just a week or so ago. And they did tell us it would take eight weeks.

We just got ours. Print the forms on line - or stop at the post office and get the forms. You will save yourself a lot of time if you have it all filled out when you get there. I posted somewhere recently that we went for our passports and got then in exactly two weeks. And that was just a week or so ago. And they did tell us it would take eight weeks.

Yeah, what they say online or by phone isn't always accurate... it also depends on which processing center I do believe. They are getting them out amazingly fast considering the deadline approaching!!

We got ours in two weeks!:eek: You all probably will get the new computerized ones with the chip in them in the shape of a credit card ,Ive got the book type!:rolleyes: Anyway they both will be better than lugging around all the paper types!;) Happy Cruising to all Get Out There!;)

well, not sure about where everyone else is, but if you live in GA and go to the post office, fill out the form, pay everything, like I did today, wait time is 8 weeks. Would be nice if it came in quicker.:)

Post when you get it... many have been told 8 weeks and gotten them much sooner

We got ours in two weeks!:eek: You all probably will get the new computerized ones with the chip in them in the shape of a credit card ,Ive got the book type!:rolleyes: Anyway they both will be better than lugging around all the paper types!;) Happy Cruising to all Get Out There!;)
So it took 2 weeks for them to get you yours. Cool! Did you pay to have it expedited? Also, reading the website, I thought the chips were in the back cover of the book, I didn't know it came in the shape of a credit card:confused:

I didn't know that there was a new type of passport. I thought they were all the little book type. How does the new one work? Is your photo imprinted on it along with basic info?

I didn't know that there was a new type of passport. I thought they were all the little book type. How does the new one work? Is your photo imprinted on it along with basic info?
on the travel.state.gov website, you can read about them, they are call e-passports. Have all info & stuff on a concealed computer chip.

So it took 2 weeks for them to get you yours. Cool! Did you pay to have it expedited? Also, reading the website, I thought the chips were in the back cover of the book, I didn't know it came in the shape of a credit card:confused:

That's what I thought too... I understood they were going to be in the back, embedded.

well, not sure about where everyone else is, but if you live in GA and go to the post office, fill out the form, pay everything, like I did today, wait time is 8 weeks. Would be nice if it came in quicker.:)

We got ours last year in Texas. They told us 6 to 8 weeks, but I had it in hand 19 days later! Didn't pay to expedite. Good thing, too! They messed up my son's place of birth and I ended up not getting his corrected one 2 weeks before we cruised.

That's what I thought too... I understood they were going to be in the back, embedded.

1 more thing I meant to say, before I forget, if you have just had your driver's license renewed, they like a picture i.d. of some sort that is more than 6 months old. Sams card, whatever. She told me the only thing I might have a problem with would be that I just renewed my license in June. They would e-mail me if that's gonna be a problem, geez I hope not. You would think that if they are doing a background check, that they could look and see one's license has been kept current for years. Wouldn't ya think?:rolleyes: Figured that would be worth mentioning though.:)

Hi jaxcruiser:D im wondering the same thing maybe one of us need to do some research or checking and make a thread on our findings here!;)

You can find out at the pursers desk for the various ports.. most of the times you have to go off the beaten path, but you can get them stamped in port... I've never bothered just because I'm usually on a mission, LOL.

This is what the website says about the E-Passport. It says "proposed" and doesn't give a date for implementation.

The U.S. Electronic Passport

The proposed U.S. Electronic Passport is the same as a regular passport with the addition of a small contactless integrated circuit (computer chip) embedded in the back cover. The chip will securely store the same data visually displayed on the photo page of the passport, and will additionally include a digital photograph. The inclusion of the digital photograph will enable biometric comparison, through the use of facial recognition technology at international borders. The U.S. “e-passport” will also have a new look, incorporating additional anti-fraud and security features.

Depending on the state if you owe any child support, you may not be able to get a passport-- in Iowa if you owe more than $5000.00 no matter if you have not missed any payments you are not allowed to get a passport- we found out the hard way- Also there are no refunds and they do not send the birth cert back-- We were never told this info about the child support, and there was nothing posted at the post office or that I could find on the website.

Depending on the state if you owe any child support, you may not be able to get a passport-- in Iowa if you owe more than $5000.00 no matter if you have not missed any payments you are not allowed to get a passport- we found out the hard way- Also there are no refunds and they do not send the birth cert back-- We were never told this info about the child support, and there was nothing posted at the post office or that I could find on the website.

There is a lesson here ;) I have seen it noted the certain "rights" one loses however, when they don't pay child support. Anyone that is not paying child support should definitely find out what they can and cannot do...

Archived